FIBA Americas Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I hope its just the case of Canada feeling out the other teams by not putting forward their best rosters. Can't show your hand in friendlies.. although on the other hand losing can't be good for morale either.
    Just look at the box scores and you can how wildly the minutes and lineups have swung from game to game. We were definitely just letting different guys get some PT and testing things out without showing our hand. I can assure you Thompson will play more than 15 minutes in the games that count.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      I'll bite since I haven't seen any threads on the SNT and it's the only relevant basketball going on right now. I'm actually more optimistic than worried. We haven't won any of those games but we've been close in all of them. This tournament is all about tweaking the roster and seeing who fits and who doesn't so a lot of the lineups and minutes will not be the same once we get to FIBA. The clear weakness of the team is wing/guard play. The 1, 2, and 3 are being manned by guys who aren't quite as good as their international counterparts. Once we get Wiggins, Bennett, and Olynyk to join the team we'll have a lot more scoring options which is what is missing right now. Tristan is great but you can't count on him for more than 12-15 points a night. Nicholson is great but needs to not be the #1 offensive option (which he apparently is right now) to be efficient. Cory Joseph has been pretty disappointing. Hopefully we have some young Canadian PG's in the pipeline (Kevin Pangos perhaps?) who could take the pressure off him and let him settle into his more natural backup PG role. Overall I am more pumped for Canada Mens Basketball than I have been in my entire life. I got excited for Dalembert joining the team so I'm over the moon with all of the truly talented youngsters signing up to play for Canada.
      as long as you got Triano you got losses....Can we gt a real coach already

Comment

Its the Americas Tournament.....everyone in it is American. Hense the name.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          How does your wife refer to people born in the USA? "Americans of the United States"?
          Why? are Canadians refered to as "Americans of Canada"?

I have a Brazilian friend too. She would just refer to them as "from the United States" or "United States Americans"
          They're obviously American too but to just say that you're American is weird considering how large America is. Why do people get confused with this? Its like a Pakistani and a Chinese kid both saying to you "oh Im Asian" which doesn't help you much because Asia is so damn huge....or think of it the other way, if my Brazilian friend said "oh Im American" - that would screw you up right? well she isn't wrong and thats why she hates when people from the US say im American as if that only means the United States.

And yes, people refer to Brazilians as South Americans all the time just as Canadians are referred to as North American all the time.

Comment

OldSchool wrote: View Post
            Why? are Canadians refered to as "Americans of Canada"?

I have a Brazilian friend too. She would just refer to them as "from the United States" or "United States Americans"
            They're obviously American too but to just say that you're American is weird considering how large America is. Why do people get confused with this? Its like a Pakistani and a Chinese kid both saying to you "oh Im Asian" which doesn't help you much because Asia is so damn huge....or think of it the other way, if my Brazilian friend said "oh Im American" - that would screw you up right? well she isn't wrong and thats why she hates when people from the US say im American as if that only means the United States.

And yes, people refer to Brazilians as South Americans all the time just as Canadians are referred to as North American all the time.
            In a discussion of nations (not continents), the term "American" refers to people of the United States.

a·mer·i·can
            Adjective
            Of, relating to, or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.
            Noun
            A native or citizen of the United States.

Comment

lol,,, I can't believe people getting all technical about South/North America and we're all "Americans". What are y'all suggesting? That the entire world should stop referring to citizens of the USA as Americans and start using "United States of Americans" to satisfy a Brazilian hissy fit or two?

I suggest Brazilians stop representing themselves as such, and call themselves "Brazil of South Americans" from now on. This Brazilian thing is messed up and confusing. After all, there's a Brazil, Indiana,,,, Brazil, Trinidad & Tobago,,,, Brazil Lake, Nova Scotia. Them Brazilians gotta get their shit together and be clear about just what kind of Brazilians they are.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                lol,,, I can't believe people getting all technical about South/North America and we're all "Americans". What are y'all suggesting? That the entire world should stop referring to citizens of the USA as Americans and start using "United States of Americans" to satisfy a Brazilian hissy fit or two?

I suggest Brazilians stop representing themselves as such, and call themselves "Brazil of South Americans" from now on. This Brazilian thing is messed up and confusing. After all, there's a Brazil, Indiana,,,, Brazil, Trinidad & Tobago,,,, Brazil Lake, Nova Scotia. Them Brazilians gotta get their shit together and be clear about just what kind of Brazilians they are.
                Not to mention 99% of Brazilians only speak Portugese ... LOL

But seriously, NBA.com corrected the mistake to read 'Canadians', so they obviously weren't trying to be philosophically technical or anything.

Comment

Maybe NBA.com staffers need to watch more "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" reruns...

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

They got confused, they think team Canada is made up of a bunch of white guys who suck bad so all of the sudden 4 players who are black and who play in the NBA are included. It will take some time to change this popular belief on team Canada:

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                      meh, either honest incompetence or NBA.com people have known for a long time that something controversial written about Raptors or Canada will create traffic/activity/attention by the boatload.
                      I'm with the people mentioning continent..it's really not incorrect for them to be called "americans" in this context..it just seems to stupid of an "honest mistake", to be one.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                        I'm with the people mentioning continent..it's really not incorrect for them to be called "americans" in this context..it just seems to stupid of an "honest mistake", to be one.
                        But since NBA.com corrected it to now say "Canadians" it clearly WAS a mistake, and it is INCORRECT for the Canadian National Team to be called anything but Canadian. That's the end of that conversation. LOL

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                          joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          But since NBA.com corrected it to now say "Canadians" it clearly WAS a mistake, and it is INCORRECT for the Canadian National Team to be called anything but Canadian. That's the end of that conversation. LOL
                          The title of the article wouldn't make any sense if they actually meant the continent, since there are more than 4 NBAers from North/South America in this tournament.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            I've had more time to think about it..it just doesn't seem like an honest mistake..seems like the writer was trying to be witty.. and just failed..got published, nobody got it and so it was changed.

Regardless, just a boneheaded move..haha
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

ESPN ranks Canada as the likely #4 in the Tournament, which is exactly where they need to finish to make it to the World Cup in Spain next year.

ESPN wrote:
                              4. CANADA

Canada has not performed particularly well in FIBA ball over the past few years. Much of its problems stem from a serious lack of offensive talent. Without dribble penetrators and anyone who could create offense in the interior the past few years, it's easy to see why the Maple Leafers have been incredibly easy to guard. Canada has been so desperate for scoring that it has resorted to feeding Joel Anthony in the post at times.

But Steve Nash has taken over GM duties for his country's squad and installed his buddy Jay Triano to lead the resurgence.

A World Cup bid might have been a lock if it had all of its stars on hand in Caracas, but Anthony Bennett and Kelly Olynyk are sitting out with injuries, and young stud Andrew Wiggins is beginning his fall semester at Kansas. Still, one of Canada's advantages this summer is its depth, which is on par with Brazil and Puerto Rico.

While dribble penetration remains a problem -- Cory Joseph is not really a creative playmaker -- the team's offense should be improved somewhat this summer with the starting frontcourt duo of Tristan Thompson and Andrew Nicholson taking on larger roles. Thompson's low-post game is still a work in progress, but it's evolving. Nicholson has a clever post game and can also step away from the painted area.

Behind them, Anthony provides a nice defensive presence and can even score a bit around the rim. Levon Kendall is a quality role player who plays tough positional post defense, sets hard picks, runs the floor and can occasionally knock down short jumpers.

Shooting guards Andy Rautins and Brady Heslip are both dangerous from outside and will run off plenty of screens. But the small forward position is a bit unsettled after the recent exit of Carl English, who has been Canada's best offensive option since Nash left. Canada will turn to Aaron Doornekamp and Jevohn Shepherd to fill the void.

This team has the makings of a good defensive unit with Cory Joseph leading at the point of attack, though Coach Triano is not known for getting players to dig in defensively.

Canada really needs to qualify this summer because a wild-card berth might not be easy to get with the way it has underperformed over the past few years.
                              Source
                              Let's hope they're right!
                              Last edited by Joey; Fri Aug 30, 2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Fuck. Fuck.

Canada just been buried by the refs in the 4th quarter. At least Nicholson had great game tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X