Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Iverson, VC and T-Mac?

Post Thanks / Like

Iverson is a lock. McGrady's numbers would make it almost impossible to keep him out.

I think Carter will have the toughest case to make. I wouldn't vote for him.

2. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a hall of FAME not a hall of talent/skill/success

All three will get in, because they induct WAY to many players.

Of the three, IMO Iverson is the only one who really belongs. He was a force, culturally and on the court. pound for pound, inch for inch, the best scoring in NBA history.

And I didn't like him that much... but all three will get in. Carter is still playing which gives him an opportunity to pad his stats a little more. Not that he'll need them to get in, but it won't hurt.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    It's a hall of FAME not a hall of talent/skill/success

All three will get in, because they induct WAY to many players.

Of the three, IMO Iverson is the only one who really belongs. He was a force, culturally and on the court. pound for pound, inch for inch, the best scoring in NBA history.

And I didn't like him that much... but all three will get in. Carter is still playing which gives him an opportunity to pad his stats a little more. Not that he'll need them to get in, but it won't hurt.
    Totally agree, they let too many players in the Hall of Fame...should be only reserved for the elite, and as good as VC and TMac were, not good enough to stand beside the legends in my mind. AI, however, I would find it difficult to not let him in.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of really good players who aren't in the hall. Out of those three I think A.I. is the only one who gets in.

Carter and T-Mac weren't dominate long or consistent enough and didn't have enough success in the playoffs. I think it also looks bad that they both quit on teams during their primes.

Iverson's legacy is undeniable. He did everything except beat out one of the greatest dynasties of all-time in the finals. He always left it all on the court, he was fearless and tough as nails. On top of that he has the stats and the MVP.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what bloggers from NBA.com had to say, at least in regards to AI and TMac.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...ref%3Anbahpt3a

Interestingly, out of the 8 contributers, only Sekou Smith and the two overseas bloggers think McGrady is a lock. I tend to agree with Blinebury's comments. And I think VC is more like TMac than AI, insofar as he never really took advantage of his talent. I think he could have been much much better than he was/is. And that is primarily the reason why I wouldn't have either VC or TMac in my HOF.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. I would rank T-Mac ahead of Carter as well due to the scoring titles but I don't think T-Mac deserves in due that alone... And what else does he have beyond that?

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to think that every generation has VC and TMac type players, guys that were great at times but not consistently so throughout their careers. And the fact that both were "coasters", makes me not want to honour their achievements with a HOF nod. Not every generation has an AI tho. A better attitude perhaps would have extended his career and his impact into his later playing years, but he still deserves to be there as far as I'm concerned. Plus, as mentioned, neither Carter or McGrady carried any team deep into the playoffs, and Iverson did it without much help.

Post Thanks / Like

Now when I look at this:

http://stats.nba.com/featured/look_b...s=iref:nbahpts

I tend to agree with slaw...it would be very tough to not vote for McGrady after taking a closer look at his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Richmond is not in there. Glen Rice is not in there. Glen Robinson is not in there.

Then you can ask yourself would you ever expect to see Jerry Stackhouse or Antawn Jamison in there? Really were their careers that much inferior to Vince Carter's when you take away the flashy dunks?

I get why some people say Carter and T-Mac should be in there, they were fun to watch, but the hall of fame ain't about just that. If you want to honor them, make a fan page but let's keep the hall for the true greats. That's my final take on this.

11. Like enlightenment liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

T-Mac is a first ballot, no-questions-asked hall of famer. You could argue that he was the greatest player alive for about five years - and I say if you can argue it, then that player's automatically in.

Vince and AI? Sure, why not. Their impact on basketball culture probably makes them overrated with respect to how good they actually were, but I still think they deserve to be in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Can you elaborate on this please? How were they spoiled?
    I think he worded it wrong. Seems he meant "Selfish"

or in other terms, he could also be right as they could all be called "Spoiled brats"
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

14. Like Xixak liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I think he worded it wrong. Seems he meant "Selfish"

or in other terms, he could also be right as they could all be called "Spoiled brats"
    Ok I guess "selfish" is a better description than spoiled. Spoiled kinda makes it seem like they were pampered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Ok I guess "selfish" is a better description than spoiled. Spoiled kinda makes it seem like they were pampered.

yeah..but, spoiled could also be that they kind of always got what they wanted..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Selfish attitude on the court. Thought he was the biggest shit. Demanded crazy contracts despite never showing the ability to win, would dominate the ball, and hurt his teams chemistry. His teams played better without him. I would love to see the advanced stats on T-mac because he was the epitome of the selfish star simply stocking stats.
    Jeff Van Gundy on McGrady:

"Easy to coach," Van Gundy gushes about McGrady. "Smart as hell. Not the greatest practice player of course. He understood he had to give X amount of level in practice to avoid confrontation with the coach, and that's what he did. But he was totally unselfish in the way he played the game. TOTALLY unselfish. I was there every night. Was I looking forward to coaching him in the second game of a back-to-back against a bad team? No, not gonna happen. But if you put him against a great team? He always showed up. Look at his playoff numbers versus his regular-season numbers. How many guys had better playoff numbers? Seriously, how many?"
    Doc Rivers:

"He was so much better than his numbers in a crazy way," Doc says. "I know that sounds weird, but it's true. Tracy had to score for us — if Tracy didn't have to be a scorer, he would have been even better. I really believe that. He was so unselfish, that was the best thing about him. He was good at everything … he was a great playmaker, he could really pass. If he could have had a chance to play with another great player, he would have been even better."
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ate-tale-t-mac

Thread Information