View Poll Results: Is Toronto a better team than it was at the end of last season?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 73.91%
  • Same

12 17.39%
  • No

1 1.45%
  • I'm not sure

5 7.25%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Is Toronto a better team than it was at the end of last season?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on the first two games, is Toronto a better team than last year?

I say, overall, no with one small noticeable improvement off the bench: Hansbrough.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

On paper, yes. On the floor so far, the Raptors have shown pinches of growth and improvement - otherwise, looks like the inconsistent defense, and stagnant & inefficient offense we saw last year.

Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    lol, he wasn't always good for his team, and i'm all about team mentality/play, but i couldn't help loving the guy.
    ball dont lie! Ball dont lie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    In reading the link from Axel's post on SI.com Point Forward OffSeason Grades: Toronto Raptors, this statement was found within:

So what do you think? Is Toronto a better team than it was at the end of last season?
    They're a better team so I voted yes, but the quote says "recognizably better". And from the outside looking in the Raptors look pretty much identical to last year. Basically anything written in the summer (or even one day before the season starts) has little accuracy. It's like what happens when you drive a new car off the lot, the value instantly drops off a cliff.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing I'm looking for to measure improvement is clutch play. Most will remember that last season we were measurably one of the least clutch teams in the entire league. Through three games this year, we've had two major runs in the last half of the fourth quarter in games against Milwaukee (12-3 run from 5:10 left to 0:25 left) and Boston (11-2 run from 7:40 to 2:30). Even against Atlanta, there was a 9-3 run over 4.5 minutes to make the game close down the stretch. I don't believe the team last year had three late fourth quarter runs in a row. That may prove to be a statistical fluke, or it may set up the the fact that this team, unlike the last few years of Raptors teams, actually has the ability to close out games.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    The thing I'm looking for to measure improvement is clutch play. Most will remember that last season we were measurably one of the least clutch teams in the entire league. Through three games this year, we've had two major runs in the last half of the fourth quarter in games against Milwaukee (12-3 run from 5:10 left to 0:25 left) and Boston (11-2 run from 7:40 to 2:30). Even against Atlanta, there was a 9-3 run over 4.5 minutes to make the game close down the stretch. I don't believe the team last year had three late fourth quarter runs in a row. That may prove to be a statistical fluke, or it may set up the the fact that this team, unlike the last few years of Raptors teams, actually has the ability to close out games.
    Good observation. With the way we play D we should be in a lot of games to prove your theory right or wrong.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And there's the rub. Was last years winning streak team just winning because the opponents were tanking? They wold have to win this year against teams who still want to win. So far.... so good? You could say Boston is not trying to win but several of the tankers have still pulled out victories so far. The jury is still out.

Post Thanks / Like

Way too early too make comparison.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No Bargnani YA better team

Thread Information