Filler

To Toronto:
    Caron Butler
    Ekpe Udoh
    Brandon Knight
    Giannis Antetokoumpo
    John Henson
    Bucks 2014 1st

It looks like the Bucks have no intention of tanking as usual (I think they are really opposed to bottoming out for monetary reasons), but they're very weak at PG and SF, this would fix that in a hurry for them giving them a lineup of:

Lowry
    Mayo
    Gay
    Ilyasova
    Sanders

Which is a pretty well balanced team that would definitely be in contention for 6-8 out East imo.

On our end we bring in two nice prospects in Henson and Antetokoumpo. Udoh and Butler are filler to make the deal work, and could either be bought out or dealt in a separate trade for 2nd round picks. Knight is definitely not a long-term solution at PG, but I like him going forwards in more of a Jason Terry type role off the bench once we get a better point guard. We also get a mid-1st round pick in the 2014 draft.

The next trade we could make would be:

To Houston:
    D.J. Augustin
    Amir Johnson

To Toronto:
    Houston 2014 1st Round Pick
    Jeremy Lin

Houston gets a legitimate frontcourt running mate for Dwight with Amir that would make them extremely formidable defensively on the inside. They shed Lin's contract, get another point guard to back up Beverley (or maybe another PG they acquire), and deal us their late 1st round pick in the draft.

A lineup of

Lin
    DeRozan
    Antetokoumpo
    Henson
    Valanciunas

With

Knight
    Ross
    Fields
    Acy
    Gray

Off the bench, would definitely put us in contention for last place in the league, unless one or more players on the team exploded (which would be a good thing). We would also have 3 1st round picks in the 2014 draft (one most likely top 5, one mid-round and one late).

The Houston trade looks fair, the Bucks trade looks unlikely. Gay/Lowry could be 1 year rentals, I don't think they are worth Henson,Knight and essentially two mid-1st picks.

PS: I wonder what Houston would give for Novak. Maybe it's possible to get their pick for Novak and keep Amir (or shop him elsewhere)? I think they'd probably prefer a stretch 4.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sun Sep 8, 2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

prospects vs. already developed/ing players

I don't understand the thought behind trading DeRozen, Lowry, Johnson and essentially our best (young) players so we can tank so that next year we have... what? guys who aren't quite as good as DeRozen, Lowry are now and may never be and draft picks?

I'm okay with tanking. I don't think trading players we've sort of developed, gave up a lot for, etc. makes sense though. If anything, we should give them up for Tristan Thompson or Anthony Bennett from Cleveland (they play the same position right? so they might actually be okay with trading one or the other).

I'd rather have our best players to use as pawns for other good players. Rudy Gay is a different story. I don't see how we can get anything for him though unless some team is trying to make a run. He'd have to show that he can play like he used to first though.

I don't know though. I'd be happy if someone corrected me.

Comment

NVanRapFan wrote: View Post
        I don't understand the thought behind trading DeRozen, Lowry, Johnson and essentially our best (young) players so we can tank so that next year we have... what? guys who aren't quite as good as DeRozen, Lowry are now and may never be and draft picks?

I'm okay with tanking. I don't think trading players we've sort of developed, gave up a lot for, etc. makes sense though. If anything, we should give them up for Tristan Thompson or Anthony Bennett from Cleveland (they play the same position right? so they might actually be okay with trading one or the other).

I'd rather have our best players to use as pawns for other good players. Rudy Gay is a different story. I don't see how we can get anything for him though unless some team is trying to make a run. He'd have to show that he can play like he used to first though.

I don't know though. I'd be happy if someone corrected me.
        You simply value players differently. A lot of people would choose Henson as a prospect over Tristan Thompson. Then you add Knight, 'koumpo and a pick. It's a monster package, if the team wants to rebuild. But I don't think the Bucks would do it, since Gay/Lowry can just leave in a year.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          You simply value players differently. A lot of people would choose Henson as a prospect over Tristan Thompson. Then you add Knight, 'koumpo and a pick. It's a monster package, if the team wants to rebuild. But I don't think the Bucks would do it, since Gay/Lowry can just leave in a year.
          Henson, Knight, 'koumpo, and a pick plus expirings to make the numbers work is bordering on Carmelo Anthony/Chauncey Billups compensation (although only Henson has shown he is a legit NBA player).

I would be very happy with that package for Gay and Lowry.

Don't think it has a snowball's chance in h.e.double hockey sticks.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            Bucks did trade for Redick who left after a couple of months. They were also trying to land Smith last year. Gay/Lowry is a pretty good plan B for a team that wants to win now and not in a year or two.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Bucks did trade for Redick who left after a couple of months. They were also trying to land Smith last year. Gay/Lowry is a pretty good plan B for a team that wants to win now and not in a year or two.
              I don't think that "Gay/Lowry to the Bucks" thinking is wrong in principle. But I think that the price is probably too high here.

Comment

Working...
              X