Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Congrats Mo Pete

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter mike, prague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Hahahaha, that was a great moment for sure.

    But a jersey retired? Not sure about that. But what if a wing of the ACC was filled with glass cases containing game-worn shoes of the most endearing members of the franchise? Seems like a good way to acknowledge their contributions, without going whole-hog and retiring the jerseys of lesser players.

    Plus, there's the possible added bonus of NOT having Vince's shoes there.

    Or T-Mac's, for that matter.

    The stipulation could be, "the player must have played at least half their career in a Raptors' jersey."
    I'm all for that idea, though maybe not necessarily shoes. I'd suppose it'd have to also be implemented for hockey players too. But do I think that it is a great idea. Plus we'd finally get to appreciate players of the likes of Joey Graham, Sonny Weems and Solomon Alabi. I always loved to watch those guys play.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Hahahaha, that was a great moment for sure.

    But a jersey retired? Not sure about that. But what if a wing of the ACC was filled with glass cases containing game-worn shoes of the most endearing members of the franchise? Seems like a good way to acknowledge their contributions, without going whole-hog and retiring the jerseys of lesser players.

    Plus, there's the possible added bonus of NOT having Vince's shoes there.

    Or T-Mac's, for that matter.

    The stipulation could be, "the player must have played at least half their career in a Raptors' jersey."
    I actually like that display case idea, but I hope you're joking re: Vince's shoes. The FIRST thing I would put in there would be his dunk contest And 1's.

    Last edited by S.R.; Wed Sep 11th, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if displaying shoes is that great an idea, but I like the idea of having some sort of area to honour former players. I mean, it doesn't have to be a hall of "fame", but something similar where maybe a picture and jersey of a guy is up there with a brief writeup explaining/thanking them for their time in TO. Guys like Alvin, Mo Pete, Anthony Parker, Jose (after he retires of course)...some guys who were true pros, played well for us, were big parts of the team, and who will always be thought of fondly for their time in Toronto. It doesn't require retiring jerseys or even any kind of formal ceremonies. You can bet if Amir is here another year or two he'd be a lock for that kind of thing too.

    *Edit: It may be hard to disclude guys like Vince and Bosh because of their status as all-stars while here...but I'd rather put them in this kind of thing then have to debate about whether to retire their jerseys. I don't look back on Bosh's time here fondly (building around him was a mistake from day one), and I think if Vince even just left on better terms, it would be a no-brainer to retire his jersey, but the way things ended will take a long time before the fanbase could accept it....like 10-15 years after he retires at least.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Sep 11th, 2013 at 10:06 AM.

  4. #24
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,069
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Oh my....Doc.... what are my options here Sir?

    You're just misunderstood man. People will eventually get you one day.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think I made the right decision. haha.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    I actually like that display case idea, but I hope you're joking re: Vince's shoes. The FIRST thing I would put in there would be his dunk contest And 1's.
    There is an office at MLSE, their board room area. They have shelving on the walls at about eye level. Wrapping around the room are really awesome framed photo's, shoes, sticks, and memo's written by past Toronto Raptor and Leaf players saying thank you for their time in Toronto. Its really quite amazing to look at. I wonder if Peddie is no longer part of this thing, if they might consider moving this stuff down to the arena like you mentioned here. It might be pretty cool....although some of it seemed like stuff they might just like to keep in the war room.

    Really cool though, I was pretty interested to see the side of the game we NEVER get to see, where the players aren't as selfish and ungrateful as people think...including guys like Carter and Davis, who give very honest gratitude in saying think you for having me on the team.... it was nice to see.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Oh my....Doc.... what are my options here Sir?

    Well, I don't know what your other problems are, but in response to your issues in this thread, an Optirectomy would be a good start.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pooka. You and I, were just internet names on a messageboard ok. I'm not interested in having these types of petty exchanges so can we just put that behind and move forward? Thanks bud.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Pooka. You and I, were just internet names on a messageboard ok. I'm not interested in having these types of petty exchanges so can we just put that behind and move forward? Thanks bud.
    You asked a smartass question, and I responded in kind. Now you want to whine about "petty exchange"? hahaha, okay bud

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    About what I expected.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    I actually like that display case idea, but I hope you're joking re: Vince's shoes. The FIRST thing I would put in there would be his dunk contest And 1's.

    When it was happening, I loved the dunk contest as much anyone. But, the bull***t that went on afterwards, I can never forgive him for. So he's excluded from MY wing.

    Although, I do realize, if they ever actually made something like what I suggested, it would be very hard to omit Vince, and even T-Mac, and Bosh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •