Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Raptors franchise was on the block?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raptors franchise was on the block?

    Anyone have any more information on this? I haven't read anything remotely close put nonetheless, seeing Toronto included in a list of names was a bit unnerving.

    NEW YORK -- With franchise values soaring and a lucrative TV rights deal on the horizon, incoming NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Tuesday that currently no teams are for sale.

    Several teams, including the Minnesota Timberwolves, have been pulled off the market recently. The Milwaukee Bucks and Toronto Raptors had also been rumored to be available.

    "As we look at the coming domestic television deal and a great playoffs and Finals, there's a great buzz around the league right now," Silver said at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit. "There aren't any teams for sale but if there were [the price] would be robust."
    link here.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/96...-no-teams-sale

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,694
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't buy it, at all, and if it were it would be solely to test market Value.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What reason would there be to test the market value?
    your pal,
    ebrian

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about we pool our resources, buy the Raptors then we can make our trade proposals come true?

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,694
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    What reason would there be to test the market value?
    I couldn't be sure. But my guess, would be that it is as simple as the Bell/ rogers group poking and probing to see where there may be interest or trying to see where the value truly sits beyond whatever assessments they have made themselves. Thats if this is even an accurate report. I have my doubts.

    I know that often companies will listen to offers from time to time to get a feel for the market. But I would never profess complete understanding for some of the posturing and gamesmanship shown at that level past the fact that CEO's et al like to have something to do and talk about.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The more likely scenario is that Brian Windhorst is just wrong.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wouldn't be surprised if the author happened to remember hearing that the Raptors were on the market awhile back, but hadn't heard anything recently, hence the 'rumor'. In all liklihood, he just forgot or is ignorant to the fact that the Raptors (MLSE) were in fact fairly recently sold along with the Leafs (and lots more) to Rogers/Bell, from the OTPP. The reason they are 'off the market' is because a buyer was found. I seriously doubt MLSE has any plans to sell.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Only thing I can think of is that they missed the part where the Franchise was up for sale ... and then purchased by Rogers/Bell.


    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the author happened to remember hearing that the Raptors were on the market awhile back, but hadn't heard anything recently, hence the 'rumor'. In all liklihood, he just forgot or is ignorant to the fact that the Raptors (MLSE) were in fact fairly recently sold along with the Leafs (and lots more) to Rogers/Bell, from the OTPP. The reason they are 'off the market' is because a buyer was found. I seriously doubt MLSE has any plans to sell.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Sep 11th, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Raptors were on the block. It just so happens that the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund sold the asset as part of MLSE. But they wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they didn't put out feelers to find out if the asset is worth more by itself vs part of MSLE.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the author happened to remember hearing that the Raptors were on the market awhile back, but hadn't heard anything recently, hence the 'rumor'. In all liklihood, he just forgot or is ignorant to the fact that the Raptors (MLSE) were in fact fairly recently sold along with the Leafs (and lots more) to Rogers/Bell, from the OTPP. The reason they are 'off the market' is because a buyer was found. I seriously doubt MLSE has any plans to sell.
    Yup, my thoughts exactly. Probably confusing OTPP's sale with "Raptors being on the market".
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    What reason would there be to test the market value?
    TL has told Bell/Rogers that he would double the value of the franchises in 5 years. Tough to know what to double if you have no known market value.

    Interesting how ESPN continues lumping the Raptors in with the small market teams (MIN/MIL).

    Maybe ESPN has learned you get lots of hits by mentioning "Toronto" or "Raptors".

    I'd be shocked if they were available..... unless it was Larry Tanenbaum shopping his 25%. Bell/Rogers are in this for the content.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Look, I don't have a financial or sales background, but I find it surprising that the way to discover market value of something you own is by trying to sell it.

    If I wanted to find out the market value of my house, just off the top of my head (again I'm no expert) here's what I would try before putting my house on the frigging market:

    - see what other homes sold for recently that are comparable to my home
    - reverse extrapolate based on property taxes
    - ask a realtor how much they think my house is worth

    Granted there are 5-10 homes going up for sale in my neighborhood every week and that is not the case with NBA franchises, but weren't a couple purchased/sold in the past couple years? Shouldn't that be enough information to get in a decent guesstimate?

    My guess (and hope) is this is just a bad rumor.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Look, I don't have a financial or sales background, but I find it surprising that the way to discover market value of something you own is by trying to sell it.

    If I wanted to find out the market value of my house, just off the top of my head (again I'm no expert) here's what I would try before putting my house on the frigging market:

    - see what other homes sold for recently that are comparable to my home
    - reverse extrapolate based on property taxes
    - ask a realtor how much they think my house is worth

    Granted there are 5-10 homes going up for sale in my neighborhood every week and that is not the case with NBA franchises, but weren't a couple purchased/sold in the past couple years? Shouldn't that be enough information to get in a decent guesstimate?

    My guess (and hope) is this is just a bad rumor.
    I'm guessing it is easier to find an approximate market price on a common residential home than it is for an NBA franchise. There are only 30 franchises across North America whereas even a modest neighbourhood would have a few hundred houses.

    I'm in agreement on your last line.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm guessing it is easier to find an approximate market price on a common residential home than it is for an NBA franchise. There are only 30 franchises across North America whereas even a modest neighbourhood would have a few hundred houses.
    True, but I really would only need to check 1 of those homes to get a pretty good idea of how much mine can sell for.

    The Raptors themselves were sold/purchased recently. That should be enough to provide a pretty reliable ballpark figure!

    Gosh darn it is this the only basketball news out there?!
    your pal,
    ebrian

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    True, but I really would only need to check 1 of those homes to get a pretty good idea of how much mine can sell for.

    The Raptors themselves were sold/purchased recently. That should be enough to provide a pretty reliable ballpark figure!

    Gosh darn it is this the only basketball news out there?!
    All houses (and franchises) are not created equal.

    Good point on recent acquisition/transaction but that was MLSE (real estate, Leafs, MLS, Raptors, restaurants, etc). Assuming there was validity to this rumour (which I put none in), MLSE/Bell/Rogers might have been fishing for the value of just the Raptors.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    726
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    The more likely scenario is that Brian Windhorst is just wrong.
    A+ especially since Toronto is considered on of the top teams in attendance the past several years. Unless I am mistaken with my information, why sell the only Canadian team when you have the Canadian market covered for merchandising?

    Crazy!!!!

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    A+ especially since Toronto is considered on of the top teams in attendance the past several years. Unless I am mistaken with my information, why sell the only Canadian team when you have the Canadian market covered for merchandising?

    Crazy!!!!
    Selling the team doesn't necessarily mean moving it out of Toronto/Canada though.
    In Masai we Trust.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie Keeping it Real's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Windhorst just twitter me that the Raps have not officially changed hands. Lol. It was only over a year ago. What a dumb shit. Do a little research bud.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Keeping it Real wrote: View Post
    Windhorst just twitter me that the Raps have not officially changed hands. Lol. It was only over a year ago. What a dumb shit. Do a little research bud.
    LoL

    Dumbass is fully deserved right here.

    Maybe US internet searches don't cross the 49th parallel?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Yup, my thoughts exactly. Probably confusing OTPP's sale with "Raptors being on the market".
    Yes. Exactly. Raps have MUCH more value as part of a conglomerate which includes the Leafs. Sorry, but this is old news filtered through poor American journalism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •