Raptors franchise was on the block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors franchise was on the block?

Anyone have any more information on this? I haven't read anything remotely close put nonetheless, seeing Toronto included in a list of names was a bit unnerving.

NEW YORK -- With franchise values soaring and a lucrative TV rights deal on the horizon, incoming NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Tuesday that currently no teams are for sale.

Several teams, including the Minnesota Timberwolves, have been pulled off the market recently. The Milwaukee Bucks and Toronto Raptors had also been rumored to be available.

"As we look at the coming domestic television deal and a great playoffs and Finals, there's a great buzz around the league right now," Silver said at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit. "There aren't any teams for sale but if there were [the price] would be robust."
    link here.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/96...-no-teams-sale

I don't buy it, at all, and if it were it would be solely to test market Value.

Comment

What reason would there be to test the market value?
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

How about we pool our resources, buy the Raptors then we can make our trade proposals come true?

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          I couldn't be sure. But my guess, would be that it is as simple as the Bell/ rogers group poking and probing to see where there may be interest or trying to see where the value truly sits beyond whatever assessments they have made themselves. Thats if this is even an accurate report. I have my doubts.

I know that often companies will listen to offers from time to time to get a feel for the market. But I would never profess complete understanding for some of the posturing and gamesmanship shown at that level past the fact that CEO's et al like to have something to do and talk about.

Comment

The more likely scenario is that Brian Windhorst is just wrong.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the author happened to remember hearing that the Raptors were on the market awhile back, but hadn't heard anything recently, hence the 'rumor'. In all liklihood, he just forgot or is ignorant to the fact that the Raptors (MLSE) were in fact fairly recently sold along with the Leafs (and lots more) to Rogers/Bell, from the OTPP. The reason they are 'off the market' is because a buyer was found. I seriously doubt MLSE has any plans to sell.

Comment

Only thing I can think of is that they missed the part where the Franchise was up for sale ... and then purchased by Rogers/Bell.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I wouldn't be surprised if the author happened to remember hearing that the Raptors were on the market awhile back, but hadn't heard anything recently, hence the 'rumor'. In all liklihood, he just forgot or is ignorant to the fact that the Raptors (MLSE) were in fact fairly recently sold along with the Leafs (and lots more) to Rogers/Bell, from the OTPP. The reason they are 'off the market' is because a buyer was found. I seriously doubt MLSE has any plans to sell.
                Exactly.
                Last edited by Joey; Wed Sep 11, 2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

The Raptors were on the block. It just so happens that the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund sold the asset as part of MLSE. But they wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they didn't put out feelers to find out if the asset is worth more by itself vs part of MSLE.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    Yup, my thoughts exactly. Probably confusing OTPP's sale with "Raptors being on the market".

Comment

TL has told Bell/Rogers that he would double the value of the franchises in 5 years. Tough to know what to double if you have no known market value.

Interesting how ESPN continues lumping the Raptors in with the small market teams (MIN/MIL).

Maybe ESPN has learned you get lots of hits by mentioning "Toronto" or "Raptors".

I'd be shocked if they were available..... unless it was Larry Tanenbaum shopping his 25%. Bell/Rogers are in this for the content.

Comment

Look, I don't have a financial or sales background, but I find it surprising that the way to discover market value of something you own is by trying to sell it.

If I wanted to find out the market value of my house, just off the top of my head (again I'm no expert) here's what I would try before putting my house on the frigging market:

- see what other homes sold for recently that are comparable to my home
                        - reverse extrapolate based on property taxes
                        - ask a realtor how much they think my house is worth

Granted there are 5-10 homes going up for sale in my neighborhood every week and that is not the case with NBA franchises, but weren't a couple purchased/sold in the past couple years? Shouldn't that be enough information to get in a decent guesstimate?

My guess (and hope) is this is just a bad rumor.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

Look, I don't have a financial or sales background, but I find it surprising that the way to discover market value of something you own is by trying to sell it.

If I wanted to find out the market value of my house, just off the top of my head (again I'm no expert) here's what I would try before putting my house on the frigging market:

- see what other homes sold for recently that are comparable to my home
                          - reverse extrapolate based on property taxes
                          - ask a realtor how much they think my house is worth

Granted there are 5-10 homes going up for sale in my neighborhood every week and that is not the case with NBA franchises, but weren't a couple purchased/sold in the past couple years? Shouldn't that be enough information to get in a decent guesstimate?

My guess (and hope) is this is just a bad rumor.
                          I'm guessing it is easier to find an approximate market price on a common residential home than it is for an NBA franchise. There are only 30 franchises across North America whereas even a modest neighbourhood would have a few hundred houses.

I'm in agreement on your last line.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I'm guessing it is easier to find an approximate market price on a common residential home than it is for an NBA franchise. There are only 30 franchises across North America whereas even a modest neighbourhood would have a few hundred houses.
                            True, but I really would only need to check 1 of those homes to get a pretty good idea of how much mine can sell for.

The Raptors themselves were sold/purchased recently. That should be enough to provide a pretty reliable ballpark figure!

Gosh darn it is this the only basketball news out there?!
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

True, but I really would only need to check 1 of those homes to get a pretty good idea of how much mine can sell for.

The Raptors themselves were sold/purchased recently. That should be enough to provide a pretty reliable ballpark figure!

Gosh darn it is this the only basketball news out there?!
                              All houses (and franchises) are not created equal.

Good point on recent acquisition/transaction but that was MLSE (real estate, Leafs, MLS, Raptors, restaurants, etc). Assuming there was validity to this rumour (which I put none in), MLSE/Bell/Rogers might have been fishing for the value of just the Raptors.

Comment

Working...
                              X