Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The 15th spot

Raptors Republic All-Star mike, prague's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The 15th spot

News is out regarding the 15th spot.

For more info that will tell you nothing new visit this link.

Wish both of these guys the best of luck. Like both of these guys, but I see Wright getting the spot because Ujiri said he's looking for a wing (if he wasn't BS-ing us)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mike, prague wrote: View Post
    News is out regarding the 15th spot.

For more info that will tell you nothing new visit this link.

Wish both of these guys the best of luck. Like both of these guys, but I see Wright getting the spot because Ujiri said he's looking for a wing (if he wasn't BS-ing us)
    Just to kick the hornets nest in jest.....

Maybe other wings are on the move?

September 10th has past and Novak can be traded with other players.

Opportunities arise and teams jump on it. As an example, the Suns traded for Butler and did the whole presser thing saying he was a part of what they were building. They even had him modelling new uni's for press. Then he was traded to his hometown Milwaukee.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Just to kick the hornets nest in jest.....

Maybe other wings are on the move?

September 10th has past and Novak can be traded with other players.

Opportunities arise and teams jump on it. As an example, the Suns traded for Butler and did the whole presser thing saying he was a part of what they were building. They even had him modelling new uni's for press. Then he was traded to his hometown Milwaukee.
    Nah I think Casey just needs bodies and JuJu last chance to prove himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Wright's wikipedia page states he has multiple sclerosis. How does an athlete play with MS?
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

That is the wrong Chris Wright.
    There is another that is either coming into the league, or in the D.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends what type of MS he has. It's quite possible he has the "better" kind where he can be asymptomatic for even years at a time. Also he may not have had any severe issues yet, and hopefully may not for many years. **Edit: And yeah, drunkmunky is right, it's the wrong dude. Still though, that's pretty random.

On a basketball note...while no guy may make the roster, I like that they left a spot open. I always hated when they would sign 15 guaranteed deals, then invite more guys to training camp. I never saw any benefit, even to having extra bodies in preseason. I mean, if they know they're not going to make the team, why would they learn the system and put max effort in practice? Don't think they would...At least now there's an open spot that could motivate guys to play hard to earn it, and possibly also help push the guaranteed guys to not get shown up by these fringe NBAers.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Sep 13th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

a couple points I will throw into the mix.

1.) Could be good to get the end of bench guys you want but may not have a spot open before the trade deadline. Be nice if they came in knowing your system and their role.

2.) We got some guys that may be worth buying out or being waived. Landry Fields deal is not unlike Beasley's.

3.) I think Chris Wright will stick somewhere eventually...last year Casey said fix your jumper...this year his jumper is fixed. He is a damn good athlete, I would like for him and Stone to land on this roster.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    a couple points I will throw into the mix.

1.) Could be good to get the end of bench guys you want but may not have a spot open before the trade deadline. Be nice if they came in knowing your system and their role.

2.) We got some guys that may be worth buying out or being waived. Landry Fields deal is not unlike Beasley's.

3.) I think Chris Wright will stick somewhere eventually...last year Casey said fix your jumper...this year his jumper is fixed. He is a damn good athlete, I would like for him and Stone to land on this roster.
    It's very unlike Beasley's because Fields actually gives you lots of good things on the court, despite his messed elbow and broken jumper, because he's a smart team-first player. He also does not have a history of being a lazy pothead with a criminal record off the court. Fields' contract is bad, but he is not as a player or a person. It's not his fault BC offered him a large contract in order to try and sign Nash. They could waive Fields, but I actually would't think that's smart management unless the medical staff tells them his elbow is permanently messed. THey don't have high hopes this year, Wright is not younger than him, and next year he has a big expiring deal that I'm sure MU would love to have in his bag of tricks.

And what evidence on Wright's jumper? He had an ok summer league. He also had shots where he missed the rim entirely from the games/pieces of games I saw, and took lots of horrible shots trying to get his own...and that's against summer league talent. His offensive game looked pretty bad to me by NBA standards. Think he'd need to have a heck of a training camp to make the team (which I guess is sort of obvious). His offensive game didn't look better than Fields' at all (even with a messed elbow), considering he also seemed allergic to passing the ball. Maybe he sneaks on as the 15th guy, but I think it'd mostly be because no one else plays well enough to earn it.

I would hope that Stone earns it...I like the idea of having a guy who can potentially defend both backcourt positions well, and who is a creator and ball mover on offense. The roster really lacks that. Most guys shoot the ball when they get it. I mean....Fields and Amir look for the pass (and Gray I guess), and that's pretty much it if you exclude the PGs. And even there, Lowry, Augustin and Buycks are not exactly known for their supreme passing ability. Rudy and DeMar have not shown enough there, and JV will be spending the season learning to read the D and pass out of the post.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Sep 13th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors roster
    Lowry/Augustin/Bycks
    DeRozan/Ross/Fields
    Gay/Novak/Daye
    Amir/Hansborough/Acy
    Val/Gray/3rd C

I think we are lacking a decent backup C so we can shift Gray to the 3rd string C position. I personally think we should trade one of Fields, Novak or Acy in exchange for a backup C then we sign one of Stone, Wright, and 3rd TBD (Carlos Marsais I think it's his name, an Angolan player who just signed with the Raptors, 6-4 SG). Yeah that's all.

Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors sign Carlos Morais?!

Only confirmation is through a Portuguese webpage:

http://www.platinaline.com/index.php...-41&Itemid=384

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont speak Portuguese, but i am fluent in Spanish, and from what i was able to understand, its a non-garanteed contract that will depend on training camp and pre-season games.

Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    I dont speak Portuguese, but i am fluent in Spanish, and from what i was able to understand, its a non-garanteed contract that will depend on training camp and pre-season games.
    If that's the case, there is no way he is making the roster.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i don't know why we invited another shooting guard. If JV gets injured again the season is over.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i don't know why we invited another shooting guard. If JV gets injured again the season is over.
    Nah don't worry mate, we've got Gray!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Nah don't worry mate, we've got Gray!
    lol

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

If JV gets injured again the season is over.
    The backup plan has to be starting Amir Johnson at center and Hansbrough at power forward. I expect to see this combination tried out early in the season, for small ball. Those two guys really get after it.

As for Morais, I never heard of the guy, but it's fun to root for the underdog. He's from Angola, and it does not get any more "underdog" than that. But apparently, he has led his team to the World Championships.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201309020511.html

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports...egypt-in-final
    Last edited by caccia; Sun Sep 15th, 2013 at 06:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You're talking as if this season is actually going to mean something..It's quite obvious this year is a "write-off". We aren't set-up to be any sort-of competition this year.So, not too sure what you're worried about other than an injury being a set-back for Valanciunas individually.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find any good statistical information...so trust in ujiri on this one I guess

Post Thanks / Like

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/...s/Summary/2953

Code:
    FIBA Senior Team Events Stats

Year	G	FG%	3P%	FT%	RPG	APG	SPG	BPG	PPG	Place
    2013	7	.418	.353	.773	4.6	2.0	0.9	0.0	15.9	Gold
    2012	3	.483	.412	.750	1.7	1.3	1.0	0.0	13.7	5th
    2011	7	.396	.362	.871	4.7	2.0	1.1	0.0	17.7	Silver
    2010	6	.346	.250	.750	1.8	1.7	1.2	0.0	8.7	15th
    2009	9	.454	.518	.807	3.6	2.0	1.3	0.1	14.7	Gold
    2008	4	.413	.318	.778	2.8	0.5	1.0	0.0	14.8	12th
    2007	6	.667	.625	.714	2.2	2.0	1.7	0.3	9.8	Gold
    2006	6	.424	.357	.833	2.0	2.0	1.2	0.0	8.0	10th

Awards & Honors: 
    MVP (2013 FIBA Africa Championship)
    All-Tournament Team (2013 FIBA Africa Championship)
    All-Tournament Second Team (2009 FIBA Africa Championship)

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I can't find any good statistical information...so trust in ujiri on this one I guess
    I found some stats.

FIBA Senior Team Events Stats
    Year Event G FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG Place
    2013 FIBA Africa Championship 7 .418 .353 .773 4.6 2.0 0.9 0.0 15.9 Gold
    2012 Olympic Qualifying Tournam 3 .483 .412 .750 1.7 1.3 1.0 0.0 13.7 5th
    2011 FIBA Africa Championship 7 .396 .362 .871 4.7 2.0 1.1 0.0 17.7 Silver
    2010 FIBA World Cup 6 .346 .250 .750 1.8 1.7 1.2 0.0 8.7 15th
    2009 FIBA Africa Championship 9 .454 .518 .807 3.6 2.0 1.3 0.1 14.7 Gold
    2008 Olympic Games 4 .413 .318 .778 2.8 0.5 1.0 0.0 14.8 12th
    2007 FIBA Africa Championship 6 .667 .625 .714 2.2 2.0 1.7 0.3 9.8 Gold
    2006 FIBA World Cup 6 .424 .357 .833 2.0 2.0 1.2 0.0 8.0 10th

Awards & Honors:
    MVP (2013 FIBA Africa Championship)
    All-Tournament Team (2013 FIBA Africa Championship)
    All-Tournament Second Team (2009 FIBA Africa Championship)

Looks like he has a great 3point shot and is a decent FT shooter. Seems like a 3 point scoring threat to possibly bring off the bench.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information