Tough First 15 games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough First 15 games!

Toronto might have to improve upon its 34-48 record from a season ago in order for coach Dwane Casey to keep his job, especially with well-respected GM Masai Ujiri now running the show. While Ujiri decided to retain Casey for this season, another poor start by the Raptors could create "hot seat" talk in a hurry, and the team's November schedule offers them no favors.

Toronto begins the season with six of nine games on the road (Atlanta, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Indiana, Houston, Memphis), and all of them look like a big test -- even the games against the Bucks and Bobcats are hardly sure wins. Sprinkled in there are home games against Boston, Miami and Utah. While beating the Heat is probably unlikely, the matchups with the rebuilding Celtics and Jazz could be two of the more promising chances to pick up wins in their first nine games.

It gets no easier from there, though. The Raptors' remaining November schedule includes home dates against Chicago, Portland, Washington, Brooklyn and Miami -- all playoff-caliber teams. A Nov. 20 game at Philadelphia may offer a temporary reprieve from the difficult early-season schedule, but overall these first 15 games will be a big test.

If the Raptors can claw their way to 6-8 wins over this stretch, it could set them up for a promising season as the schedule lightens up. A 3-12 start, or something in that neighborhood, though, and Casey could be the first coaching casualty of the season.
    @Chr1st1anL

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Toronto might have to improve upon its 34-48 record from a season ago in order for coach Dwane Casey to keep his job, especially with well-respected GM Masai Ujiri now running the show. While Ujiri decided to retain Casey for this season, another poor start by the Raptors could create "hot seat" talk in a hurry, and the team's November schedule offers them no favors.

Toronto begins the season with six of nine games on the road (Atlanta, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Indiana, Houston, Memphis), and all of them look like a big test -- even the games against the Bucks and Bobcats are hardly sure wins. Sprinkled in there are home games against Boston, Miami and Utah. While beating the Heat is probably unlikely, the matchups with the rebuilding Celtics and Jazz could be two of the more promising chances to pick up wins in their first nine games.

It gets no easier from there, though. The Raptors' remaining November schedule includes home dates against Chicago, Portland, Washington, Brooklyn and Miami -- all playoff-caliber teams. A Nov. 20 game at Philadelphia may offer a temporary reprieve from the difficult early-season schedule, but overall these first 15 games will be a big test.

If the Raptors can claw their way to 6-8 wins over this stretch, it could set them up for a promising season as the schedule lightens up. A 3-12 start, or something in that neighborhood, though, and Casey could be the first coaching casualty of the season.
    Atlanta, Milwaukee, Washinton, Boston, are gonna be the big games for us. Those are the teams ranked a little bit above, a little bit under us. Loses to them could force ujiri a certain way. Loses to Miami, Brooklyn, Chicago, indiana would suck, but would be expected. Lets just hope we can steal a few games out west.

Comment

December is no cake walk either. The schedule doesn't really lighten up until February,

Comment

The Raptors are hardly known for beating teams they're "supposed to" beat anyways. They'll need to be focused and locked-in from opening day, regardless of whether they're facing the Heat or the Bobcats.

Comment

I think Ujiri will stick with Casey for the whole season regardless of how they perform. I can't see a new coach coming until next season when Ujiri has more of the players he wants in place. This should be a year of many personnel changes for the Raps.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
            December is no cake walk either. The schedule doesn't really lighten up until February,
            Looking at it again, the December schedule is ridiculously difficult.

Lots of variables, of course, but jebus - Nov/Dec will be a tough sled. I hope the starting 5 is ready....

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Should reference this to ESPN Insider.
              Welp, that sucked.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                Should reference this to ESPN Insider.
                I wasn't trying to claim the article lol
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Isn't this a good thing? We have a true test to decide whether we have something to build on or whether we need to blow this fucker up. (casey included)

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                    Isn't this a good thing?
                    I'd say yes as well, as long as management doesn't lower the bar by saying, for instance, "Since this part of the schedule is harder, we could live with a 33% winning percentage."

To me the bar should be: are we hovering around .500 or better? Great, let's stay the course. No? Great, let's blow it up and tank HARD, à la Golden State. In that case I'd say we trade both Lowry and Gay for youth/picks, and give HEAVY minutes to the youngest players on the team.

To be honest, I'd be happy with either option, so this is an exciting year regardless of what happens. Next year, however, could be another story, especially if we don't blow it up this year.

Comment

Need I remind you the same team that beat Eastern conference finalist Indiana twice lost to the Bobcats twice..... seriously doesnt matter they just got to focus and play hard every night. Want to make the playoffs boys and stop being the NBA joke doormat play like it and earn it.

Anyways Id rather them have a smoother finish we play Miami early in the season.

Comment

We are finally coming down to the home stretch (of the off-season) and it couldn't come soon enough for me. It's gotten to where I am hungry for training camp reports and pre-season games. Only another 2-3 weeks to go.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
                          If the first three months of the schedule are tough, that is a bad indication of the relative talent level of our dear Raptors. There must be a lot of teams that are significantly better than us.

Comment

LC009 wrote: View Post
                            I'd say yes as well, as long as management doesn't lower the bar by saying, for instance, "Since this part of the schedule is harder, we could live with a 33% winning percentage."
                            Damn, that's such a BC move right there. I think they got rid of him solely to cut the excuses. If we start the season off losing, something will be done.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

A tough schedule early is a very good thing.

Better to know where you stand against the better teams in the league in November/December/early January than after the All-Star break.

If the Raptors are struggling early due to a tough schedule the answer isn't, "Oh well, just wait until the schedule turns in our favour."

The answer is one of:

A) Obtain pieces to put the Raptors over the bump, or

B) Blow it up.

Given the expendable assets the Raptors have if they are trying to get over the hump, I think it is pretty obvious that anything less than .500 against a tough schedule after 40 games is an indication of what needs to be done. No sense going to the playoffs for a first round exit when you don't have any financial flexibility or expendable valued assets to get better.

Comment

Working...
                              X