Tough First 15 games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Need I remind you the same team that beat Eastern conference finalist Indiana twice lost to the Bobcats twice..... seriously doesnt matter they just got to focus and play hard every night. Want to make the playoffs boys and stop being the NBA joke doormat play like it and earn it.

Anyways Id rather them have a smoother finish we play Miami early in the season.
    Exactly.

Generally good teams overlook bad and average teams.

Generally bad teams get up to play good teams.

The really bad teams always look at a team like Toronto as a winnable game.

The average teams (Milwaukee) have owned the Raptors.

The Raptors have been stuck between awful and average.

Everyone in the NBA has talent and can step up on any given night. The difference between the mediocre/average and great is consistency.

Comment

*note: this is not a prediction of the team's record

I'm not sure the schedule is that tough - I'm just going to put them in loose terms as 'winnable' (which I'll call Y) or 'expected loss' (which I'll call X)

Atlanta - Y
      Milwaukee - Y
      Charlotte - Y
      Indiana - X
      Houston - X
      Memphis - X
      Boston - Y
      Miami - X
      Utah - Y
      Chicago - X
      Portland - Y
      Washington -Y
      Brooklyn - X
      Miami - X
      Philly - Y

8 winnable games vs 7 expected losses

8 at home, 7 on the road

3 back to back, 1 of them a 4 in 5

Thats not an easy schedule, but its hardly a tough one.

The Raps finishing something like 12-3 or 3-12 would perhaps be a statement about the team. But the Raps finishing in the .500 range after November would, to me anyways, be neither unexpected or give us much of an indication that the team is anything but exactly who we (well some of us) thought they were - treadmillers.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
        *note: this is not a prediction of the team's record

I'm not sure the schedule is that tough - I'm just going to put them in loose terms as 'winnable' (which I'll call Y) or 'expected loss' (which I'll call X)

Atlanta - Y
        Milwaukee - Y
        Charlotte - Y
        Indiana - X
        Houston - X
        Memphis - X
        Boston - Y
        Miami - X
        Utah - Y
        Chicago - X
        Portland - Y
        Washington -Y
        Brooklyn - X
        Miami - X
        Philly - Y

8 winnable games vs 7 expected losses

8 at home, 7 on the road

3 back to back, 1 of them a 4 in 5

Thats not an easy schedule, but its hardly a tough one.

The Raps finishing something like 12-3 or 3-12 would perhaps be a statement about the team. But the Raps finishing in the .500 range after November would, to me anyways, be neither unexpected or give us much of an indication that the team is anything but exactly who we (well some of us) thought they were - treadmillers.
        I'd call Atlanta, Portland, and Washington draw's at best and X's most likely.

Comment

Miami was slow getting started last season, they went 6-3 before things picked up, and the middle of the season wasn't spectacular either. It wasn't till near the end when they went on the streak that things turned their way. Sometimes really good teams need time to gel. If there was a time to have tough opponents, the beginning of the season is it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Exactly.

Generally good teams overlook bad and average teams.

Generally bad teams get up to play good teams.

The really bad teams always look at a team like Toronto as a winnable game.

The average teams (Milwaukee) have owned the Raptors.

The Raptors have been stuck between awful and average.

Everyone in the NBA has talent and can step up on any given night. The difference between the mediocre/average and great is consistency.

Consitency is the key agreed.

With Rudy Gay I think our chances improve in winning those close games. Finding a way to win the close games has been Raps downfall for years. Of course we all know good teams avoid close games and hopefully Raptors can jump on some teams at home and run them out of the building but we need to realistic...likely there will be many close games.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              We are finally coming down to the home stretch (of the off-season) and it couldn't come soon enough for me. It's gotten to where I am hungry for training camp reports and pre-season games. Only another 2-3 weeks to go.
              Hah, same here brotha. They've been rerunning some of the greatest games of the season on NBATVC for the past couple of weeks and it's been able to fulfill my Raptor needs. I recommend the same.

Pretty hyped to see Gay play.

Comment

Ok first, teams like starting on the road. Its always blown up, but really, the only thing on the road that is really bad is the crowd. Second, if you can look at the schedule and not see that easily two thirds of the teams in the NBA are better than Toronto, than I kinda don't see the big news that the schedule is tough. The "toughness" in the schedule has zero to do with home or away, back to back, or potentially easy or hard games. The "toughness" comes from the fact that Toronto is a terrible team, had been pretty much from the start, and is always playing teams better while they start, yet again, with a pretty much new team, or, new coach, or, new GM, or, new ownership....etc.

So yeah. No sympathy, no surprises. Set um up and see how they fall!

Comment

If you consider a 15 game stretch where we play Atlanta, Milwaukee, Boston, Utah, Portland, Washington and Charlotte as a tough one.... We're probably in for a long year.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                    If you consider a 15 game stretch where we play Atlanta, Milwaukee, Boston, Utah, Portland, Washington and Charlotte as a tough one.... We're probably in for a long year.
                    It is baffling considering they have the 6th highest payroll in the NBA.

But with the way last year started and the lack of any recent success, people are throttling back expectations. It's a good thing for fans' collective sanity.

Comment

Nice avatar!

Comment

I'm torn. Just the thought of another mid-season coaching change and mid-season roster turnover gives me a headache. Anything can happen to any team over a 15 game stretch - it's such a small sample size. I think Ujiri has to wait longer than that.

Also, the whole schedule is "tough" when you're a lottery team. Even best-case scenario, about 2/3 of this league is better than the Raptors. Bleh.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

agreed.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                            I'm torn. Just the thought of another mid-season coaching change and mid-season roster turnover gives me a headache. Anything can happen to any team over a 15 game stretch - it's such a small sample size. I think Ujiri has to wait longer than that.
                            15 games isn't really a "small sample size." Hell, 16 games is one-fifth of the season; at twenty percent of the season gone, you have a good idea of the team's overall ability. 5-10 games would be a smallish sample size, but at 15-17 games, you know what team you have.

(And those 16th and 17th games are away at Houston and Memphis, so yeah, they don't help much.)

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              It is baffling considering they have the 6th highest payroll in the NBA.

But with the way last year started and the lack of any recent success, people are throttling back expectations. It's a good thing for fans' collective sanity.
                              That is worthy of a facepalm if there ever was one.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

Also, the whole schedule is "tough" when you're a lottery team. Even best-case scenario, about 2/3 of this league is better than the Raptors. Bleh.
                                If your best case scenario for the Raptors is that 2/3 of the league is still better than them then I'm not sure why a roster turnover has you upset. I get that the constant upheaval of the team is tiresome, but I don't think continuity should be celebrated if it's still a bad team.

Comment

Working...
                                X