Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Novak a member or the starting 5?

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Novak a member of the starting 5?

I know it may seem like a strange idea at first, but let's just think about it.

-Novak can play both forward spots.
    -None of the current starters can really shoot the 3.
    -Novak can shoot the 3.
    -We currently don't really have a backup center.
    -Amir was really good last season as a center.
    -Amir could be our backup center.
    -Give more playing time to the wings.
    -Etc.

Let's look at what could be the rotation:
    Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray
    Novak/Hansbrough/Acy
    Gay/Fields/Daye
    DeRozan/Ross/Stone
    Lowry/Augustin/Buycks

Novak would be a stretch 4, with Jonas being the man in the middle. Difference between this situation and Bargnani's one is that Novak won't ask for a lot of minutes and he's a winner. Plus we won't have the same expectations for him that we had for Bargnani.

I think it would simply really improve our rotations. Amir can still play more minutes than him, I just think it would fit better with this rotation.

What do you guys think of this idea?
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Sun Sep 22nd, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

that's an excellent idea. though there may be a point where his defensive deficiencies outweigh the benefits of having him space the floor. probably have to use him more sparsely because of this.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is absurd!
    @Chr1st1anL

4. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    This is absurd!
    Why so

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Why so
    You just went from having Andrea as starter and you want a even worse defender to set the tone at the beginning of the game?
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rest assured barring injury Novak will be coming off the bench all season to space the floor and bang in some treys! nothing more nothing less.

ROLE PLAYER

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Difference between this situation and Bargnani's one is that Novak won't ask for a lot of minutes and he's a winner. Plus we won't have the same expectations for him that we had for Bargnani.
    None of these three points particularly support the argument that he should start. "Not asking for a lot of minutes" is not a necessary characteristic of a starter. "He's a winner" doesn't actually mean anything. And having lower expectations doesn't do anything to actually help the team win.

I think it would simply really improve our rotations. Amir can still play more minutes than him, I just think it would fit better with this rotation.
    On the contrary; having him on the second unit means he plays fewer minutes against starter- and star-level offensive talents. Given how bad he is on D, playing him against weaker offensive players makes a lot of sense.

9. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie OldSchool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

charlesnba23 >> wait till you see his defense lol

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Novak could, should, or would start (barring injuries or trades, and then only for a few games as possible).

He is a floor spacer and will help space the floor for limited stretches.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to anticipate opposing coaches totally abusing that PF matchup to start the game. With Novak trying to defend the likes of Dirk, Griffin, West, Millsap, etc, we'd be down double-digits before the first TV timeout.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only way I could see Novak starting is if it was for specific match up's, and maybe only if he was starting at SF and Rudy PF...again very specific match up against small ball teams that just try to out score you by getting up and down the court quickly as possible.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

-Novak can shoot the 3.
    -Etc.

Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray
    Novak/Hansbrough/Acy
    Gay/Fields/Daye
    DeRozan/Ross/Stone
    Lowry/Augustin/Buycks

Novak would be a stretch 4, with Jonas being the man in the middle. Difference between this situation and Bargnani's one is that Novak won't ask for a lot of minutes and he's a winner. Plus we won't have the same expectations for him that we had for Bargnani.

Good thought not absurd but Novak not great defensively and Amir's minutes would decrease at a time when he is improving to become one of our most consistent two way players.

Post Thanks / Like

Stop the insanity. Shut this thread down.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If this happens, it will happen later in the season. With Amir and Jonas on the roster, the opening day starting lineup will consist of them as 4 and 5.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

-Novak can shoot the 3.
    -Etc.

Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray
    Novak/Hansbrough/Acy
    Gay/Fields/Daye
    DeRozan/Ross/Stone
    Lowry/Augustin/Buycks

Only if we are planning on going FULL tank mode!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Rest assured barring injury Novak will be coming off the bench all season to space the floor and bang in some treys! nothing more nothing less.

ROLE PLAYER

Now think about this. Why can he not be the same role player who just starts the game? He will probably only get 12-15 minutes at most why can he not get some of those at the start it makes a lot of sense. Offensively speaking he will get the most open shots with that lineup on floor. With demar and gay we need floor spacers. It makes most sense for that lineup and also for Novak himself.

Think about it dont just shut the idea down if you have some point you want to make then make them dont just say nothing and he sucks.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This guy might actually be a worse defender than Bargnani....and you want him to play against the other teams starters?

The only way Novak survives his time on the court is by guarding the worst player on the other team and jacking treys. His is the ultimate liability, like Josea Bargeron.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm into whatever works, but seeing as our starting lineup was one of the better lineups in the league last year I don't see it. If he's going to be in short spurts we may as well start out with a traditional lineup then bring him in if nobody is hitting/the opposition is immediately collapsing on our bigs
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Burnit482 wrote: View Post
    Now think about this. Why can he not be the same role player who just starts the game? He will probably only get 12-15 minutes at most why can he not get some of those at the start it makes a lot of sense. Offensively speaking he will get the most open shots with that lineup on floor. With demar and gay we need floor spacers. It makes most sense for that lineup and also for Novak himself.

Think about it dont just shut the idea down if you have some point you want to make then make them dont just say nothing and he sucks.
    Several comments here have addressed it. Try reading them. To repeat: Steve Novak cannot defend starting PF's, so why in the world would you want to match him up against Dirk, Duncan, Griffin, Z-Bo, Love, Aldridge, Bosh, etc. for his "12-15 minutes" when Novak could spend those minutes playing against bench players?

His 12-15 minutes will be situational, because his defense is terrible. They'll put him out there when his 3's will help more than his D will hurt, and when his teammates can help compensate for his poor D.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Burnit482 wrote: View Post

As a starter playing 12-15 mpg, he'll mostly be playing against other starters. This is less likely to be true as a bench player.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information