Tristan Thompson Switches from Left Hand to Right for Shooting - NBA Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tristan Thompson Switches from Left Hand to Right for Shooting - NBA Record

Funny story. Tristan decided that maybe he was right handed after all. For the FIBA Americas he used his right hand after be a left handed shooter his whole career to now. Over the Fiba games, Free Throws up, Field Goals down, but he has only been working on it this summer.

It well be good for him, the Cavaliers and the Canadian Nationals that they wind up with a solid two way shooter.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index....l#incart_river

Wish Thompson and Nicholson were Raptors.

Comment

Tristan blamed his youth in Canada for not knowing which hand was his dominant one. Interesting explanation...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/tris...-right-handed/
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        Tristan blamed his youth in Canada for not knowing which hand was his dominant one. Interesting explanation...

Bullshit.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post

I would say that that is a simplistic interpretation. He said that in the US kids start getting significant sports attention at 5 years old, whereas he didn't even pick up a basketball till he was twelve, therefor it took longer to sort itself out. That is the truth of the matter. So you could say it DID happen like that because he was in Canada. He wasn't blaming Canada, he was just stating a fact.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            I would say that that is a simplistic interpretation. He said that in the US kids start getting significant sports attention at 5 years old, whereas he didn't even pick up a basketball till he was twelve, therefor it took longer to sort itself out. That is the truth of the matter. So you could say it DID happen like that because he was in Canada. He wasn't blaming Canada, he was just stating a fact.
            I agree, bad wording.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Here's his full quote:

I wouldn't say it's easy, but I think the transition is going more smoothly than one might assume, which probably means I was always right-handed and just never knew, probably because I lived in Canada. I started playing basketball at such a late age. In America, you start playing when you're 5 years old.
              Note to Tristan Thompson: if you never knew you were right-handed, this means you are not right-handed.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

There are some weird people out their who the binary of lefty versus righty don't just doesn't work the way it does for most people. I have a friend who bats right in baseball and shoots left in hockey. It's unusual but it does happen. Like most binaries, lefty vs. right is a construction that generally applies to everyone but not to everyone SPECIFICALLY. I would imagine that Thompson's problem isn't only that he started late, but that he is also one of those people who don't nicely fit in to the binary model (at least in terms of his shooting).
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  ... I have a friend who bats right in baseball and shoots left in hockey....
                  I thought of this right away. Not so uncommon.

Comment

I'm the same way, bat right, shoot left, swing a golf club left, but I am right handed, never really had to "figure" that out. I'm not really sure what TT is getting on with here.

Comment

From a Zach Lowe article

Dirty little secret: The Thompson shooting-hand switch is a less dramatic story inside the Cavs' offices than it is from the outside. The Cavs knew when they drafted Thompson that he was very nearly ambidextrous and that he was a poor shooter with his left hand. The left-to-right change is something the team contemplated even before drafting him.
                      LINK
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                      X