Take Your Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.R. wrote: View Post
    I agree - the class is weak, the competition high, and the Raps should NOT tie up salary in a guy like Bosh at this point. Keep flexibility and add a couple more young guys. The ideal timeline for me would be to trade Rudy as an expiring (assuming he picks up his option) in 2014/15, re-sign him for a lot less if things are working well, and/or aim for a splashy FA signing in summer 2015.

More building blocks are needed. If you do spend money next summer, I'd rather add Favous/Monroe than Bosh. Bosh is a "win now" addition. This team should be aiming to peak in 2-4 seasons.
    IMO, the premise of acquiring a player in FA is to win, not necessarily in the immediate season, but at the most the next season. If you're a GM and you're acquiring somebody through free agency just to make him a piece of the puzzle for the next couple of seasons then i dont think that's good GMing. No GM is nice enough to acquire FAs for the next GM. you acquire FAs that can bolster your team now, get wins, get credit and hopefully get another GM contract. If you aim to peak in 2-4 years with your team then drafting is the way to go.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      The flava' of the month for me are guys that can execute a play. For that reason I keep thinking someone like Chandler Parsons or Hayward would be good additions. Guys that have high basketball IQ and can knock down shots.
      Those are awesome glue guys. They're the guys you want when you get your star talent. Definitely high on them both tho

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Those are awesome glue guys. They're the guys you want when you get your star talent. Definitely high on them both tho
        Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Parsons on the Rockets before Harden?

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Parsons on the Rockets before Harden?
          Indeed he was, but he was drafted by them. It would be different for a team trying to acquire him on his 2nd contract, where he wouldn't be nearly as cheap. In that situation, where you'd have to fork over a small-medium chunk of cap space, it makes more sense, or may be easier to add him after you already have your core established...I think that's Matt52's point, or something like that.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
            I'd rather target the 2016 free agent class tbh. The 2014 free agent class sucks because all the best players are either old or guys like LeBron, Kobe and Melo that wouldn't come here if we could pay them a billion dollars.

Depending on how good Jonas is by 2015-16, and what other players we're able to secure (as well as if we re-sign Gay or Lowry) we might actually be able to entice a Love or dare-i-say-it Durant to come here lol.
            Durant is someone I've always kept in the back of my mind for 2016.

I've read there is a lot of ego and drama around OKC with Westbrook - another KG-Starbury situation for the speculators among us? Combine that with OKC avoiding the luxury tax at ALL costs as Ibaka, Westbrook, and KD salaries continue to rise each year and the Thunder likely to always be really good but not good enough.... yeah, I really like where this thought process that is likely to never happen is going.

The thing to remember though is JV is going to be due for his extension.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2016-nba-free-agents

Ryan Anderson, Nicolas Batum, and Thaddeus Young would all be 28 and unrestricted in 2016 too.

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of Al-Farouq Aminu

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Durant is someone I've always kept in the back of my mind for 2016.

I've read there is a lot of ego and drama around OKC with Westbrook - another KG-Starbury situation for the speculators among us? Combine that with OKC avoiding the luxury tax at ALL costs as Ibaka, Westbrook, and KD salaries continue to rise each year and the Thunder likely to always be really good but not good enough.... yeah, I really like where this thought process that is likely to never happen is going.

The thing to remember though is JV is going to be due for his extension.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2016-nba-free-agents

Ryan Anderson, Nicolas Batum, and Thaddeus Young would all be 28 and unrestricted in 2016 too.
                I don't even want to get my hopes up like that, until the team makes a 180, because our team today can't interest him in signing here. But every time i read a piece about how OKC's Future isn't so dreamy i can't help but hope it escalates enough by 2016.

Comment

do we even have money to spend on guys? i honestly have no idea.

if we do then i'd drop serious cash on Favors. SERIOUS cash. If he can build on what he's produced so far in limited minutes i'd make him my target and go hard in the paint for him. A front court of JV and Favors would be ridiculous. Keep in mind he'll only be 24, too.

Monroe too, to a lesser extent. I like him a lot, tho he's not nearly the defender Favors is.

I'd try and sign Parsons, for sure. He's a solid player who could start or be a sixth man type dude. He strikes me as a guy who'll take a smaller contract to win in houston, though. I have nothing to really base that on but whatever.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

honestly i'd bring Ed back, too. sweet, sweet Ed.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

and gary forbes
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        do we even have money to spend on guys? i honestly have no idea.

if we do then i'd drop serious cash on Favors. SERIOUS cash. If he can build on what he's produced so far in limited minutes i'd make him my target and go hard in the paint for him. A front court of JV and Favors would be ridiculous. Keep in mind he'll only be 24, too.

Monroe too, to a lesser extent. I like him a lot, tho he's not nearly the defender Favors is.

I'd try and sign Parsons, for sure. He's a solid player who could start or be a sixth man type dude. He strikes me as a guy who'll take a smaller contract to win in houston, though. I have nothing to really base that on but whatever.
                        Favors is going to be an RFA and Utah, frankly, will match any offers assuming he produces this year as expected (i.e. really well). He's part of their new core and won't be going anywhere.

I think Monroe, right now, has found his ceiling. He's worth money but the question becomes how much. Detroit will either trade him this season (if they can get a longterm power forward for less) or try to re-sign him, but he's stealable. The problem is that in order to snag him, you'll probably have to overpay dramatically.

Parsons is pretty great for what he is but A) this is part of the Rudy Gay Conundrum wherein why are you signing a starting-quality small forward if you already have Rudy, B) his salary will balloon because he's been more dramatically underpaid than anybody in the NBA and teams will know they will have to overpay him to get him (and be willing to do it more than usual).

I like the idea of re-signing Ed Davis, not least because I think he'll still only get backup minutes in Memphis this season and he's better than that. If he only gets backup minutes we should be able to net him for around $5m per season, which is a bargain for him.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          and gary forbes

Comment

I'm gonna call it now: the firing of Glen Grunwald in New York is the beginning of another era of Dolan enforcing his own will upon the Knicks and fucking things up yet again, for he is Dolan - and Melo will see the writing on the wall and get the hell out of New York. Probably to the Lakers.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                              Favors is going to be an RFA and Utah, frankly, will match any offers assuming he produces this year as expected (i.e. really well). He's part of their new core and won't be going anywhere.

I think Monroe, right now, has found his ceiling. He's worth money but the question becomes how much. Detroit will either trade him this season (if they can get a longterm power forward for less) or try to re-sign him, but he's stealable. The problem is that in order to snag him, you'll probably have to overpay dramatically.

Parsons is pretty great for what he is but A) this is part of the Rudy Gay Conundrum wherein why are you signing a starting-quality small forward if you already have Rudy, B) his salary will balloon because he's been more dramatically underpaid than anybody in the NBA and teams will know they will have to overpay him to get him (and be willing to do it more than usual).

I like the idea of re-signing Ed Davis, not least because I think he'll still only get backup minutes in Memphis this season and he's better than that. If he only gets backup minutes we should be able to net him for around $5m per season, which is a bargain for him.
                              I'm a big Monroe fan, and imo he is the most valuable big (player) on that roster. Drummond has plenty of potential, but who knows if he will ever reach it. If I were Detroit I would make sure Monroe is the one guy I do what it takes to keep.

Comment

Detroit's Greg Monroe would also look to be in line for an extension, having established himself as one of the good young big men in the East. He was top 10 last season in double-doubles (37) and was one of the few bright spots for the Pistons the last two seasons.

But league sources indicate an extension for Monroe is highly unlikely. The Pistons are not going to give him anywhere near the max, based on their current roster. Plus, Monroe's agent, David Falk, has little interest in signing an extension for less than that. While discussions are friendly, it's likely the two sides will revisit next summer -- if Monroe is still on the roster.

With Andre Drummond looking like the Pistons' center of the future, and with $56 million invested in Josh Smith -- much more effective as a four -- how much will Detroit put forth for Monroe?

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/feature...010/index.html
                                I hope Drummond and Monroe get lots of PT together early this season to figure out how Monroe fairs as a PF.

Comment

Working...
                                X