Take Your Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Your Pick

Here is a list of the 2014 free agent class posted on realgm. Barring the obviously unavailable players, whom do you think MU could be looking at to add to the roster, or whom would you simply think would be a really good fit with the Raptors?

http://basketball.realgm.com/article...ee-Agent-Class

bro too soon...

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
      bro too soon...
      Yeah I read the list a couple of times but without seeing what kind of moves he makes by the deadline this year it's impossible to even guess. I think it truly comes down to
      1) How Rudy plays this year
      2) Combined with option one, if we trade him and if we do... what do we get back?
      3) ....and if we don't move him, is it because we're only offered long-term contracts? Does he pick up his option or opt out for a longer contract?

We have way too much tied into this one guy to determine any of our future moves I think.
      "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

If JV shows an improved post up game, i wont mind taking Bosh. You need a PF who can shoot jumpers to open up the lane for DD, Gay and to allow JV to work inside.

Bosh can also get lots of rebounds and can also score inside.

Comment

LOL, alright guys it was just meant as a thread to spark some conversation but if you can't wrap your head around the future of the franchise without the season starting then no problem.

Glove, bringing Bosh back would be a great idea (though unlikely). He would fit really well with this team. JV is the type of player Bosh needed Andrea to be all those years ago, and I think they would make a pretty amazing tandem.

Comment

So much depends in draft, options, standings. Etc.

Guys I like and/or would fit:
            Favors
            Monroe
            Bosh
            Deng

Comment

hmmm....obviously lots of things can change, so i'll try to somewhat explain choices....

- Deng: this assumes Gay is gone via trade or opt out. Deng brings so many good things to a team, and even if Casey is gone I'd like a defensive approach maintained, and Deng is one of the best defensive wings in the game.

- Greivis Vasquez: I still have some concerns about his D, but I love what he brings as a floor general, and he has great size. I think I would actually want to use him in a Ginobili-esque role off the bench (albeit he's not quite that kind of scorer).

- Okafor : Obvious choice as a veteran backup to JV, who can bang, is pretty good defensively and about at that point in his career when he should be moved to the bench full time.

There're lots of other guys I'd like....Bledsoe, Bosh, Nowitzki, Favors, Parsons...but for one reason or another just don't see it as very likely. I think in my ideal scenario for the backcourt, they let Lowry go and get both Bledsoe and Vasquez. Then there are lots of guys who just don't seem to make much sense with JV around....maybe I'd take Pau, but he'd probably be too expensive and I'd want to use him as the 3rd big, as I can't see him playing PF full time as he ages. Doesn't seem logical or worth it.

Guys I'd pass on for sure:

-Bradley : I don't like a guard with basically no guard skills.

-Hayward: Like his versatility, but don't like his skinny frame and still sketchy D.

-Monroe: Think he's a tweener big defensively, in that he struggles to guard Cs because of physicality, and struggles with PFs because of speed. I don't like guys who can't defend any position very well.

-Evan Turner: Still don't understand how he was a #2 pick. He still has lots of nice tools, but just seems to have no clue how to utilize them. He'd have to really break out this year for me to consider him. And if he did I'd be hesitant to get into a bidding war on him.

And some others who are just totally not worth it, like Ariza, Chalmers, Collison, Granger (injury reasons), Randolph (too fat and getting old, can't see him holding up for much longer)...

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                LOL, alright guys it was just meant as a thread to spark some conversation but if you can't wrap your head around the future of the franchise without the season starting then no problem.

Glove, bringing Bosh back would be a great idea (though unlikely). He would fit really well with this team. JV is the type of player Bosh needed Andrea to be all those years ago, and I think they would make a pretty amazing tandem.
                bad blood aside, it would make sense for Bosh to come back. He already has two titles so that urgency is no longer riding his back. he already experienced both being the franchise player and being in a supporting role, so either way he'd most likely be ok with. coming back to the team that drafted you, get one last contract then retire and get your jersey hung in the rafters. none of the management are left when he left, so no one really to make amends with.

12mil per?
                Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Sep 24, 2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I'd rather target the 2016 free agent class tbh. The 2014 free agent class sucks because all the best players are either old or guys like LeBron, Kobe and Melo that wouldn't come here if we could pay them a billion dollars.

Depending on how good Jonas is by 2015-16, and what other players we're able to secure (as well as if we re-sign Gay or Lowry) we might actually be able to entice a Love or dare-i-say-it Durant to come here lol.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                    bad blood aside, it would make sense for Bosh to come back. He already has two titles so that urgency is no longer riding his back. he already experienced both being the franchise player and being in a supporting role, so either way he'd most likely be ok with. coming back to the team that drafted you, get one last contract then retire and get your jersey hung in the rafters. none of the management are left when he left, so no one really to make amends with.

12mil per?
                    haha how crazy would it be if Bosh returned to Toronto and LBJ returned to Cleveland, after a 3-peat with the Heat? Almost poetic... but I have a hard time believing it would happen.

Comment

The flava' of the month for me are guys that can execute a play. For that reason I keep thinking someone like Chandler Parsons or Hayward would be good additions. Guys that have high basketball IQ and can knock down shots.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        haha how crazy would it be if Bosh returned to Toronto and LBJ returned to Cleveland, after a 3-peat with the Heat? Almost poetic... but I have a hard time believing it would happen.
                        I think James is the linchpin. If he bolts, no way Bosh is staying. Unless he gets max money.
                        James to Cavs would probably be more believable than Bosh to Toronto.
                        And IMO, James will go back to the Cavs.

hahaha like they went on for a rental or something, hahaha.

Comment

I think the 2014 free agent class is going to be weak, and there are going to be a lot of teams with money to spend. The Miami trio will most likely stay back another year. That leaves Gay/Deng as probably the big two.. and Toronto will most likely keep Gay (MU will give him a good contract).

The key is Lowry and whether or not he's worth resigning. That all depends on what they can get via trade/draft for a PG. Not a lot of guys available via trade, and if they don't get a good pick the draft could be moot as well.

Set your sights for 2015/2016 though.. MU is looking down the road, not next year.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I think the 2014 free agent class is going to be weak, and there are going to be a lot of teams with money to spend. The Miami trio will most likely stay back another year. That leaves Gay/Deng as probably the big two.. and Toronto will most likely keep Gay (MU will give him a good contract).

The key is Lowry and whether or not he's worth resigning. That all depends on what they can get via trade/draft for a PG. Not a lot of guys available via trade, and if they don't get a good pick the draft could be moot as well.

Set your sights for 2015/2016 though.. MU is looking down the road, not next year.
                            I agree - the class is weak, the competition high, and the Raps should NOT tie up salary in a guy like Bosh at this point. Keep flexibility and add a couple more young guys. The ideal timeline for me would be to trade Rudy as an expiring (assuming he picks up his option) in 2014/15, re-sign him for a lot less if things are working well, and/or aim for a splashy FA signing in summer 2015.

More building blocks are needed. If you do spend money next summer, I'd rather add Favous/Monroe than Bosh. Bosh is a "win now" addition. This team should be aiming to peak in 2-4 seasons.
                            Last edited by S.R.; Tue Sep 24, 2013, 01:05 PM.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              I agree - the class is weak, the competition high, and the Raps should NOT tie up salary in a guy like Bosh at this point. Keep flexibility and add a couple more young guys. The ideal timeline for me would be to trade Rudy as an expiring (assuming he picks up his option) in 2014/15, re-sign him for a lot less if things are working well, and/or aim for a splashy FA signing in summer 2015.

More building blocks are needed. If you do spend money next summer, I'd rather add Favous/Monroe than Bosh. Bosh is a "win now" addition. This team should be aiming to peak in 2-4 seasons.
                              That's a good point. I didn't really think about that, so much as him being a good fit. I have a feeling, and it's just my own gut feeling that the mandate handed down from ownership to TL and MU is to build on the fly and win now. Otherwise I think we would have seen a much different team this upcoming season instead of the same basic roster.

Comment

Working...
                              X