Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NBA Allstar Games In Toronto!

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2016 NBA Allstar Games In Toronto!

The Raptors are on the verge of landing the 2016 NBA All-Star game in Toronto, according to multiple sources.

An official announcement is expected shortly that will reveal further details of how one of the sport's biggest weekends will tie in to the Toronto Raptors' 20th-anniversary season.

Tim Leiweke, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president and CEO, made it clear upon taking over the company that landing the prestigious event was one of his early goals.

“Clearly the 2016 all-star game is a flag in the sand that we planted with the NBA. It is a must have in my opinion and it will be the centre piece of how we rebrand this,” Leiweke said in May.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...-All-Star-Game

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't see this coming, despite Leiweke's statements when he came onboard.

I, for one, won't bother attending any events. Just can't think of anything that is worth the hassle of dealing with those kind of crowds...but it will be a good day for TO and thew Raps organization.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Didn't see this coming, despite Leiweke's statements when he came onboard.

I, for one, won't bother attending any events. Just can't think of anything that is worth the hassle of dealing with those kind of crowds...but it will be a good day for TO and thew Raps organization.
    May this be the first of many "I told you so" for Leiweke.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiggins for ASG MVP

Post Thanks / Like

Sick.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It's about time!

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome, can't wait.

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just came home from school..........best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm right there with you Puffer. Have no interest in attending any of it, but great for the city.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic news for the city!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention WHITE VEGAS baby, Woo!! This is going to be one sloppy game. Haha

Toronto Tourism ad: 'White Vegas' from The Basketball Jones on Vimeo.

Last edited by Joey; Tue Sep 24th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Not to mention WHITE VEGAS baby, Woo!! This is going to be one sloppy game. Haha

Toronto Tourism ad: 'White Vegas' from The Basketball Jones on Vimeo.

LOL. But OMG, Jilly's is an absolute dive or at least used to be back in the day, or so I heard. Oh, and I guess this guarantees that JV will make the ASG in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ... well there goes Doug Smith's long standing opinion that Toronto will never get the ASG, because it's somehow not suited to host it .... Idiot. Lol

This is absolutely amazing news, and proof that TL is a man of his word and gets things done.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow ... well there goes Doug Smith's long standing opinion that Toronto will never get the ASG, because it's somehow not suited to host it .... Idiot. Lol

This is absolutely amazing news, and proof that TL is a man of his word and gets things done.
    Now I'm not one to support Doug Smith on anything.... but.....

The lack of convention centre space within a short distance (i.e. couple minutes walk) to accommodate all the hoopla that goes on surrounding the actual game itself was the issue. I believe a lack of quality hotels was an issue too.

Obviously things have changed in Toronto the last few years but there are a lot of NBA cities who could not handle the circus that is an ASG.

There was a thread on this before.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The lack of convention centre space within a short distance (i.e. couple minutes walk) to accommodate all the hoopla that goes on surrounding the actual game itself was the issue. I believe a lack of quality hotels was an issue too.
    Why is it no longer an issue then? Its not like a Convention Center has suddenly opened up.
    I never really bought into that argument .. The Metro Toronto Convention Center is literally just up the street from the ACC... and its massive. And I believe the Ritz and the Marriot are both connected to the MTCC, with the Royal York hotel right across the street.

That argument from Doug just never made sense to me.
    Perhaps its legit, but I'm not sure why that would've changed under TL.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is it no longer an issue then? Its not like a Convention Center has suddenly opened up.
    I never really bought into that argument .. The Metro Toronto Convention Center is literally just up the street from the ACC... and its massive. And I believe the Ritz and the Marriot are both connected to the MTCC, with the Royal York hotel right across the street.

It might have more to do with TL's clout and the timing does tie into the completion of the Union Station renovation and improved Pathway.

Or my theory: that was always the BS excuse the NBA gave Toronto when they've asked for it.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate Doug Smith, I hate him -- but he was right. The NBA ASG is a huge HUGE money grab and things need to be right for them to have come here. The hotel situation has boomed significantly (see Ritz-Carleton) in the last few years which helps a lot, and the MTCC had been in dire need of some serious renovations for years. That finally happened a couple years back, likely to save themselves of any embarrassment during G7/G20.

Accessibility to MTCC has always been an issue. Keep in mind this is mid to end of February in Canada. For you and I, a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes is not a big deal but from the perspective of silly Americans? That's 10 minutes walking in the cold tundra. Yes it's linked to the subway but it's still not easy to get to. Lots of twists and turns and the PATH isn't always easy to navigate through. Even to this day I have to check the map once in awhile and I've been working downtown for the past 12 years.

Again, I still think this is a major coup for the City of Toronto.. it's huge for us. I just wouldn't harp on Doug Smith. The reasons he gave for us not ever landing the ASG were legit. I give big props to Tim Leiweke for pulling this off.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Accessibility to MTCC has always been an issue. Keep in mind this is mid to end of February in Canada. For you and I, a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes is not a big deal but from the perspective of silly Americans? That's 10 minutes walking in the cold tundra.
    Have you never even been to New York?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I hate Doug Smith, I hate him -- but he was right. The NBA ASG is a huge HUGE money grab and things need to be right for them to have come here. The hotel situation has boomed significantly (see Ritz-Carleton) in the last few years which helps a lot, and the MTCC had been in dire need of some serious renovations for years. That finally happened a couple years back, likely to save themselves of any embarrassment during G7/G20.

Accessibility to MTCC has always been an issue. Keep in mind this is mid to end of February in Canada. For you and I, a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes is not a big deal but from the perspective of silly Americans? That's 10 minutes walking in the cold tundra. Yes it's linked to the subway but it's still not easy to get to. Lots of twists and turns and the PATH isn't always easy to navigate through. Even to this day I have to check the map once in awhile and I've been working downtown for the past 12 years.

Again, I still think this is a major coup for the City of Toronto.. it's huge for us. I just wouldn't harp on Doug Smith. The reasons he gave for us not ever landing the ASG were legit. I give big props to Tim Leiweke for pulling this off.
    Plus isn't the Auto Show usually around the ASG? Not sure where they will go, but usually they get the MTCC at around that time. And I believe Doug brought that point up as well at one point.

Thread Information