Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 89

Thread: 2016 NBA Allstar Games In Toronto!

  1. #61
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote phez wrote: View Post
    How much would you spend for all star tickets?
    They could be in superbowl price range...

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'll settle for Randle though.
    I'll settle for Marcus Smart. The thought of pairing him with JV for years as a PG/C tandem has me drooling all over myself.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    At the same time, I don't really like how you guys are using the word "settle" for top 3 prospects. There's no guarantee we even have a top 3 pick, even if we blew up the roster and tanked Orlando, Phoenix, Sacramento, Philly, etc are all hot garbage (Boston could join that group by trading Rondo).

    Let's not forget that in 2012 we finished 3rd last and ended up picking 5th. That's the kind of thing that could happen in 2014 after a tank and suddenly Wiggins, Randle, etc are off the board and there's a lower chance that the guy we take ever makes an all-star team.

    People have been comparing this draft to 2003, but if it really is like the 2003 draft, then there's only all-stars right at the top of it, so it would require a lot of luck to get one even if you tank.

  4. #64
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    At the same time, I don't really like how you guys are using the word "settle" for top 3 prospects. There's no guarantee we even have a top 3 pick, even if we blew up the roster and tanked Orlando, Phoenix, Sacramento, Philly, etc are all hot garbage (Boston could join that group by trading Rondo).

    Let's not forget that in 2012 we finished 3rd last and ended up picking 5th. That's the kind of thing that could happen in 2014 after a tank and suddenly Wiggins, Randle, etc are off the board and there's a lower chance that the guy we take ever makes an all-star team.

    People have been comparing this draft to 2003, but if it really is like the 2003 draft, then there's only all-stars right at the top of it, so it would require a lot of luck to get one even if you tank.
    Time to move along people.

    The FUN-Police is here.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  5. Like LBF, Axel, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  6. #65
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I'll settle for Marcus Smart. The thought of pairing him with JV for years as a PG/C tandem has me drooling all over myself.
    Exum intrigues me at Point.

    Later in the draft Vicic is also intriguing.

    Don't get me wrong, Smart is on the desired list too.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  7. #66
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Exum intrigues me at Point.

    Later in the draft Vicic is also intriguing.

    Don't get me wrong, Smart is on the desired list too.
    I haven't seen nearly enough of Exum to have a fully formed opinion. Very intriguing, but still don't know his game enough.

    I also just love Smart's personality. It may have been dumb to stay in college another year, but his intangibles, as they say, just seem off the charts on top of his talent. The effort and desperation he seems to play with, along with his leadership qualities...Seems like the perfect fit next to JV who has very similar qualities.

  8. #67
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Why is it no longer an issue then? Its not like a Convention Center has suddenly opened up.
    I never really bought into that argument .. The Metro Toronto Convention Center is literally just up the street from the ACC... and its massive. And I believe the Ritz and the Marriot are both connected to the MTCC, with the Royal York hotel right across the street.

    That argument from Doug just never made sense to me.
    Perhaps its legit, but I'm not sure why that would've changed under TL.
    I hate Doug Smith, I hate him -- but he was right. The NBA ASG is a huge HUGE money grab and things need to be right for them to have come here. The hotel situation has boomed significantly (see Ritz-Carleton) in the last few years which helps a lot, and the MTCC had been in dire need of some serious renovations for years. That finally happened a couple years back, likely to save themselves of any embarrassment during G7/G20.

    Accessibility to MTCC has always been an issue. Keep in mind this is mid to end of February in Canada. For you and I, a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes is not a big deal but from the perspective of silly Americans? That's 10 minutes walking in the cold tundra. Yes it's linked to the subway but it's still not easy to get to. Lots of twists and turns and the PATH isn't always easy to navigate through. Even to this day I have to check the map once in awhile and I've been working downtown for the past 12 years.

    Again, I still think this is a major coup for the City of Toronto.. it's huge for us. I just wouldn't harp on Doug Smith. The reasons he gave for us not ever landing the ASG were legit. I give big props to Tim Leiweke for pulling this off.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  9. #68
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Accessibility to MTCC has always been an issue. Keep in mind this is mid to end of February in Canada. For you and I, a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes is not a big deal but from the perspective of silly Americans? That's 10 minutes walking in the cold tundra.
    Have you never even been to New York?

  10. #69
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I haven't seen nearly enough of Exum to have a fully formed opinion. Very intriguing, but still don't know his game enough.

    I also just love Smart's personality. It may have been dumb to stay in college another year, but his intangibles, as they say, just seem off the charts on top of his talent. The effort and desperation he seems to play with, along with his leadership qualities...Seems like the perfect fit next to JV who has very similar qualities.
    Exum is also lauded for his work ethic and intangibles as well.

    This is a good draft class.

    I'll wait until the NCAA season is underway before calling it great.

    Still sticking to the belief that the Raps have a great opportunity to build with the hardest piece to acquire under contract for another 3 years - and likely up to 8.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  11. #70
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i'd take Exum over Smart, but isn't Exum more of a combo guard? i thought he was a 2 if anything?

    I don't know how i feel about Smart at all. When he was on he was amazing but there's aspects of his game that make me kinda :/

    i'd go:
    Wiggins
    Randle
    Exum
    Parker
    Smart
    @jerboat

  12. #71
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i'd take Exum over Smart, but isn't Exum more of a combo guard? i thought he was a 2 if anything?

    I don't know how i feel about Smart at all. When he was on he was amazing but there's aspects of his game that make me kinda :/

    i'd go:
    Wiggins
    Randle
    Exum
    Parker
    Smart
    They're both "combo" guards, but both are more than capable of being distributors. These aren't Lou Williams type combo guards where you have a PG body but are a SG. They have SG bodies with good all around guard skills.

  13. #72
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is a good start for all our scouting 'experts'... me included

    Smart:

    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  14. #73
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Exum:

    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  15. #74
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No love for Aaron Gordon? He's definitely a dark horse.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  16. #75
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote phez wrote: View Post
    Have you never even been to New York?
    NYC is an exception to the (justified) perception. It's the sports capital of the world.

    You could have a hurricane and ebola breakout hit the city on that weekend and the NBA would still consider holding their precious ASG there. Americans are silly people.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  17. #76
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I hate Doug Smith, I hate him -- but he was right. The NBA ASG is a huge HUGE money grab and things need to be right for them to have come here. The hotel situation has boomed significantly (see Ritz-Carleton) in the last few years which helps a lot, and the MTCC had been in dire need of some serious renovations for years. That finally happened a couple years back, likely to save themselves of any embarrassment during G7/G20.

    Accessibility to MTCC has always been an issue. Keep in mind this is mid to end of February in Canada. For you and I, a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes is not a big deal but from the perspective of silly Americans? That's 10 minutes walking in the cold tundra. Yes it's linked to the subway but it's still not easy to get to. Lots of twists and turns and the PATH isn't always easy to navigate through. Even to this day I have to check the map once in awhile and I've been working downtown for the past 12 years.

    Again, I still think this is a major coup for the City of Toronto.. it's huge for us. I just wouldn't harp on Doug Smith. The reasons he gave for us not ever landing the ASG were legit. I give big props to Tim Leiweke for pulling this off.
    Plus isn't the Auto Show usually around the ASG? Not sure where they will go, but usually they get the MTCC at around that time. And I believe Doug brought that point up as well at one point.

  18. #77
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    No love for Aaron Gordon? He's definitely a dark horse.
    He is by far youngest of draft prospects. Still 17 I believe. Everything I've read about him is the never ending tweener debate.

    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  19. Like Dino4life liked this post
  20. #78
    Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He is by far youngest of draft prospects. Still 17 I believe. Everything I've read about him is the never ending tweener debate.

    But at 17 that's not a bad thing. He's not even done growing yet, plenty of time to improve his perimeter game or Beef up. Worst case scenario(lesser versions of) as a 4 he plays like blake Griffin, as a 3 he plays like Rudy Gay. Not a bad deal to have on a rookie contract for 4 years.

    Altough i'll admit right away, i'm biased he's my favorite player in the draft this year.

  21. #79
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Keep it on Topic fellas.

    I'm sure there's a Draft 2014 thread out there somewhere.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  22. #80
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Plus isn't the Auto Show usually around the ASG? Not sure where they will go, but usually they get the MTCC at around that time. And I believe Doug brought that point up as well at one point.
    I think the Auto Show might be a couple of weeks before. Last year it was the Feb 14 weekend.

    According to Wiki they average about 300,000 people each year. That must be more than the NBA is expecting, right? Also the Auto Show is a full week isn't it? The difference being that there are probably a lot less people flying in (and staying overnight) in Toronto for the Auto Show. I read somewhere that the NBA requires 6000 hotel rooms as a minimum requirement. We probably couldn't do that until recently.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •