Page 2 of 337 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I'm very curious as to the future of Aaron Craft.

Pros:
    Good size
    Very good lateral quickness
    Excellent on-ball defender
    Smart pass-first PG
    High Motor

Cons:
    Shooting Range

When you look at the list of pros and cons, the first name that pops into my head is Rajon Rondo, but I think Rajon is a better finisher at the rim and better athlete overall. Still, Craft is probably the best perimeter defender in NCAA, and that should translate to the NBA. He is currently mocked as a 2nd rounder, and I would be surprised to see him go in the 1st, but I think he could pan out in the NBA.

Apparently he has been guarding Kyrie Irving Full-Court at the Nike Skills Academy and was holding his own. For a 2nd rounder, getting a young hard working PG who can defend really well is definitely worth the pick to me.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aaron-Craft-6361/

Post Thanks / Like

"You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of both Craft and McDermott.

I mentioned in this forum before the draft that the Raps should trade for a 1st round round pick and draft McDermott. Well, they didn't but McDermott returned to school. So they still have a shot at getting him next year

As for Craft, i think he'll be a late 1st rounder/early 2nd round pick next year. I'm a big fan of the guy. Great defensive player, high basketball IQ. I think he's going to be good.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Jabari asks, "Have you forgot about Ja?"

Bruno Caboclo

5. Like rocwell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Randle is a 6-foot-9 power forward who has the ultra-rare ability to handle the ball like a guard despite his size and strength. He’s too quick and athletic for big men to guard, but has too much length and size for perimeter players to handle. In short, he’s the perfect mismatch. Naturally, he’s been drawing some favorable comparisons.

Today, former Virginia Tech coach and current ESPN analyst Seth Greenberg had perhaps the most interesting comparison yet:

ESPN analyst Seth Greenberg: “(Kentucky’s) Julius Randle is as impressive a freshman I’ve seen since I saw LeBron James.”

— rickbozich (@rickbozich) October 16, 2013

Oops. Yeah, LeBron never actually went to college. However, despite the mistake, his comparison does make at least a little bit of sense (even if it’s completely far-fetched at this point):

ESPN’s Seth Greenberg also on Julius Randle: “If he decides I can get any shot I want, when I want it, there’s no guarding him.”

— rickbozich (@rickbozich) October 16, 2013

Randle is going to have to work really, really hard to live up to the King’s college career — after all, James never lost a game.

http://collegespun.com/sec/kentucky-...man-in-college
    I could see that quote interpreted the way this author interpreted but I could also see the interpretation of since there is no more high school player entering, freshmen are now the youngest crop to enter the league therefore the what he meant to say was Randle as impressive as any player entering league since LeBron. Regardless, still interesting observations.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see us take Dwight Powell in the 2nd round, I think he can be a very nice NBA player. Very mobile 4 man with nice range.

Post Thanks / Like

Michigan’s Vertec measures up to 12 feet, 3 inches.

Michigan needs a new Vertec.

“We’ve not had anybody inside our program get all 12 feet, 3 inches -- that was until Glenn Robinson,” Meyer said.

Robinson stands 6-feet, 6-inches tall. He has an expansive wingspan, but is not a pterodactyl. He’s always had a lengthy reach and shake-your-head leaping ability (just ask Minnesota). This latest feat, though -- reaching 12-foot-3 on the Vertec -- is a product of Robinson’s offseason work.

“His body has matured,” Meyer said. “He’s worked very, very diligently."
    The praise mirrored that delivered last week by ESPN.com national writer Jeff Goodman. Following a preseason tour of Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Oklahoma State, Goodman called Robinson “the most impressive player of anyone I saw.”

Goodman continued ...

“The questions regarding the son of the ‘Big Dog’ were about his perimeter shot and ability to put the ball on the floor. Robinson buried deep jumper after deep jumper and appears far more comfortable at the 3-spot in John Beilein's offense. It’s still yet to be determined whether this aspect of his skill set will translate in games, but it's a good sign with Robinson more assertive on the offensive end.

“If he can gain a consistent jumper to go with his athleticism, he'll almost certainly be a lottery pick.”

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...lenn_robi.html

Good Lord if he has added to this:

Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Draft situation?

http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

2014 second round draft pick from Sacramento
    Sacramento's 2014 2nd round pick to Toronto
    protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Toronto will be extinguished)

2014 second round draft pick from Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma City's 2014 2nd round pick to Toronto (via New York)

---

2014 second round draft pick to Milwaukee
    Toronto will convey the less favorable of its 2014 2nd round pick protected for selections 31-36 and Sacramento's 2014 2nd round pick protected for selections 56-60 to Milwaukee (via Phoenix); if only the Sacramento pick falls within its protected range, then Toronto will convey its pick to Milwaukee (via Phoenix); if the Toronto pick falls within its protected range, then Milwaukee will instead receive the more favorable of Toronto's 2015 2nd round pick and Phoenix's 2015 2nd round pick and Toronto will receive the less favorable of these two picks (via Milwaukee's right to swap Phoenix for Toronto) [Sacramento-Toronto, 7/16/2012 and then Phoenix-Toronto, 2/21/2013 and then L.A. Clippers-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 7/10/2013]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    Draft situation?

http://www1.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

2014 second round draft pick from Sacramento
    Sacramento's 2014 2nd round pick to Toronto
    protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Toronto will be extinguished)

2014 second round draft pick from Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma City's 2014 2nd round pick to Toronto (via New York)

---

2014 second round draft pick to Milwaukee
    Toronto will convey the less favorable of its 2014 2nd round pick protected for selections 31-36 and Sacramento's 2014 2nd round pick protected for selections 56-60 to Milwaukee (via Phoenix); if only the Sacramento pick falls within its protected range, then Toronto will convey its pick to Milwaukee (via Phoenix); if the Toronto pick falls within its protected range, then Milwaukee will instead receive the more favorable of Toronto's 2015 2nd round pick and Phoenix's 2015 2nd round pick and Toronto will receive the less favorable of these two picks (via Milwaukee's right to swap Phoenix for Toronto) [Sacramento-Toronto, 7/16/2012 and then Phoenix-Toronto, 2/21/2013 and then L.A. Clippers-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 7/10/2013]
    Is this another party pooper?

Raps also have their own 1st round pick.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Good Lord if he has added to this:

I can't remember on which thread, but I posted today that the Raps should get an impact player in the 8-12 range, and Glenn Robinson was one the names I spoke of. The original Big Dog was one of my favs, and I think #3 could be even better. He'd look really good next to JV for the next decade.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this 2014 Bargnani?

Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

add me to the list of GR fans

loved the big dog, back in the day. even if he didn't play an ounce of defense.
    @jerboat

14. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still not a certainty exum will be in draft

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spor...101-2ws4n.html
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Bracken (Utah)

Strictly FUNDAMENTALLY, who's better, Wiggins or Jabari?

Chad Ford
    (1:35 PM)

Jabari. Fundamentally, he's the best player in the draft. He could play all five positions on the floor. Scouts have been very bullish on him lately after seeing him in some scrimmages for Duke. Not sure his senior season, thanks to an injury, gave us a complete look at his potential.

Andrew (Nashville)

How good can Dante Exum be?

Chad Ford
    (1:36 PM)

Crazy talented. A number of GMs think he might be the best player in the draft. Yes, better than Wiggins and Julius Randle. Would love to see him play some college ball, however, to be sure.

J.R. (Bayside)

Is Kentucky's freshmen class one of the best of all-time (on paper)?

Chad Ford
    (1:38 PM)

Yes. I have seven Kentucky players ranked in our Top 30. Julius Randle could be the No. 1 pick. Andrew Harrison and James Young also are looking like potential Top 10 picks. Willie Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress, Aaron Harrison and Dakari Johnson all look like potential first rounders. Cauley-Stein and Poythress, by the way, also appear to have lottery type talent. Another, Marcus Lee, could end up cracking it by the end of the season. I think a minimum of three, maybe four, are selected in the lottery.

Mike R (Boston)

Could Kansas really have three top 10 players drafted this year?

Chad Ford
    (1:40 PM)

For sure. Wiggins has the inside track on the No. 1 pick. Joel Embiid is the best center prospect in the draft and should go somewhere between 2 and 7. Wayne Selden could end up being the leading scorer for this Jayhawks team -- a classic power wing. They're going to be good.

Dan (CA)

Marcus Smart probably would have gone #2 last year. You think he can still go that high or will these incoming freshmen push him out of the top 5?

Chad Ford
    (1:43 PM)

I do. He's not as sexy as players like Wiggins, Randle or Exum, but he has a toughness and leadership aura around him that every coach would want to have. If he improves his jump shot and handle, he's a Top 3 pick. Even if he doesn't, I don't see him slipping out of the Top 10.

James F. (Texas)

Do scouts really feel like James Young of UK is really good enough to be a Top 5 pick? Or is that just Coach Cal being the great salesman he is known to be?

Chad Ford
    (1:49 PM)

Not sure Top 5 pick is right. And yes, Cal has been selling him hard. But he really does have all the tools to be an excellent NBA wing. Just a bit of a late bloomer. If he's the second best player on the Wildcats this year (pretty sure Randle will be the alpha dog there), he's going to be a Top 10 pick.

Kyle (Mass)

any sleeper prospects no one is talking about?

Chad Ford
    (1:54 PM)

Florida's Chris Walker might be the very best athlete in the draft, but he's ineligible to play during Fall Semester and he's making a position change. That's hurt his stock a bit. Wisconsin's Sam Dekker has many in the analytics crowd fired up. Keep an eye on a young point guard from Kosovo -- Kenan Sipahi and a young big man from Denmark -- Rasmus Larsen. Both are getting a lot of buzz right now from international scouts.

Ben (Florida)

Do you think people should settle down with hyping this year's class so much? With rumbles of Wiggins being a disappointment in practice, Parker's middling athleticism and Exum's inability to shoot it seems like there's plenty of concerns all around with the Top 5.

Chad Ford
    (1:57 PM)

It's about potential Ben. Anthony Davis was too skinny and didn't dominate the game at the beginning of his freshman year. Andre Drummond was passive at UConn and lacked basketball IQ. People killed a young Derrick Rose at Memphis early in the season when he got off to a slow start. Have to look a little deeper at players and try to project what they could become. All three of those guys -- Wiggins, Parker and Exum -- have a terrific work ethic and either have elite athletic tools or extraordinary basketball skills. They're all going to be really good I think.
    Zvonimir (Croatia)

Is there any player in the draft who possesses such a unique skill set that it is impossible to compare him to a current NBA player?

Chad Ford
    (1:59 PM)

Since this is coming from Croatia -- I'm assuming you're talking about Dario Saric -- a Point 4. We've had point forwards who play the three position -- but Saric is really a power forward with a terrific handle and court vision. The closest comp I can come up with is Boris Diaw and I think Saric is better than him at the same age.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

BTW - NCAA starts Friday night!
    Bruno Caboclo

17. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marc Stein's (meaningless, worthless, and) fearless predictions:

8. Andrew Wiggins will not go No. 1 overall in the 2014 NBA draft.

Regular readers have heard me say for years that I leave NBA draft forecasts to the real experts: Chad Ford, Andy Katz and now my new teammate Jeff Goodman. And nothing has changed: Big West basketball -- starring Cal State Fullerton specifically -- is the only college basketball I watch. Yet even I’m already hearing stuff here and there about the studs bound for the top of the 2014 lottery, which leads me to ask: Isn’t the top-five talent way too good for all of us to just surrender the No. 1 slot to Wiggins before Thanksgiving? Dante Exum, Jabari Parker, Marcus Smart and a kid who played his high school basketball five minutes from my house -- Julius Randle -- are as responsible for this season’s tanking phenomenon as Wiggins, because the tank teams are convinced they’re getting a franchise-changer as long as they land in the upper half of the lottery. Maybe this take cements my college basketball idiocy, but I really don’t think so. For all of the obvious hype and momentum behind Wiggins’ No. 1 candidacy ... it’s early.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...ns-for-2013-14
    For everyone thinking Wiggins will be #1, one year ago Shabazz Muhammed was suppose to be in the running for #1.
    2 years ago at this time Drummond was suppose to be #1.
    3 years ago at this time Harrison Barnes was suppose to be #1.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thought here. What if some of the potential draft studs decide to stay in college for another year for the chance to be the top pick (or thereabouts) in 2015? At some point, because of the rookie scale contract, it might make financial sense to do so. Discuss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Another thought here. What if some of the potential draft studs decide to stay in college for another year for the chance to be the top pick (or thereabouts) in 2015? At some point, because of the rookie scale contract, it might make financial sense to do so. Discuss.
    And if they slip, like Harrison Barnes?

All financial sense gone.

Also Marcus smart recently admitted he wasn't sure if made right choice.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Stein's (meaningless, worthless, and) fearless predictions:

For everyone thinking Wiggins will be #1, one year ago Shabazz Muhammed was suppose to be in the running for #1.
    2 years ago at this time Drummond was suppose to be #1.
    3 years ago at this time Harrison Barnes was suppose to be #1.
    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    And if they slip, like Harrison Barnes?

All financial sense gone.

Also Marcus smart recently admitted he wasn't sure if made right choice.
    I really wish the rules were back to a minimum 2 years of NCAA (or equivalent) ball prior to joining the NBA. I think so many young kids would greatly benefit, both with the development of their on-court skill & BB-IQ, and general life experience & maturation. Raw talent and athleticism is great, but how many kids like that come out after only a year of NCAA ball and look lost at the NBA level because of both the complexity of the playbook and adjusting to life as a professional athlete? I think it would also take the pressure off these kids (and their parents, coaches, friends, etc...) for them to perform so well in a single make-or-break season.

I was also thinking that so much of the current ISO-dominated NBA action could be at least partly attributed to these kids coming out after just a year, when all their pre-NBA focus has been on their own game. A second year of NCAA ball would provide them with a chance to showcase not only their individual skills, but also demonstrate their ability to play within a system as part of a team.

A little off topic, but just my two cents. All that aside, there is definitely a lot of talent seemingly available in this year's lottery!

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

19 College games on tap for this Friday boys!! Chances are we could be getting an early glimpse of what may lie ahead for the Raptors.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone reccommend what the best way would be to watch as many college basketball games as possible?

Page 2 of 337 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread Information