Page 31 of 337 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 ... LastLast

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think he plays within the system at Kansas and has shown ability to take over when warranted.

Not intending to be disrespectful to your comment/post but those are the same types of comments that were made about Drummond. I think talent triumphs at the NBA level and with the differences between college and pro game I think he will excel.
    Thats a good point about Drummond, but Drummond wasn't in the conversation to go #1 either. I'm just thinking if we somehow land the #1 pick should we go after Wiggins, whom pound for pound probably has the most potential in this draft, but has shown signs of maybe not being ready to go from day one, or someone like Parker or Randle whom look like they can start right away? There are a lot more expectations from the #1 pick as opposed to #9 where you can afford to take a chance on a guy with potential.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Thats a good point about Drummond, but Drummond wasn't in the conversation to go #1 either. I'm just thinking if we somehow land the #1 pick should we go after Wiggins, whom pound for pound probably has the most potential in this draft, but has shown signs of maybe not being ready to go from day one, or someone like Parker or Randle whom look like they can start right away? There are a lot more expectations from the #1 pick as opposed to #9 where you can afford to take a chance on a guy with potential.
    Day one isn't that important. Take the guy who's going to be best Year 3-10. Besides, if we were to land Wiggins, and he doesn't lead the team to the playoffs right away, then he's going to get better help in the subsequent drafts to help build a stronger franchise. If Parker can lead his team to the playoffs in year 1, then he better be ready to do most of the heavy lifting for the next 5 years to repeat it.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Earlier in the season he was in discussion for #1.

He fell for the very concerns you highlighted about Wiggins.

I think you go with who you think has a better NBA career.

He might not develop immediately but there were A LOT of questions surrounding Durant in his rookie year as well.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Is LaVine 100% white? Not usually one to bring up race, but if he is he might just be the most athletic white American prospect ever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Day one isn't that important. Take the guy who's going to be best Year 3-10. Besides, if we were to land Wiggins, and he doesn't lead the team to the playoffs right away, then he's going to get better help in the subsequent drafts to help build a stronger franchise. If Parker can lead his team to the playoffs in year 1, then he better be ready to do most of the heavy lifting for the next 5 years to repeat it.
    But how do you know whom will have the best career though if they are not showing that drive which some other guys are showing. I'm not comparing Wiggins to Perry Jones III, but there are some comparisons to be made as far as talent/drive.

I guess my question is in this draft can we afford to wait on potential or go for the sure thing? Personally, I do think that where ever the Raptors make their pick in this particular draft they have to go for a guy that can take over a game. We have enough role players and it's time to go for someone can create/score.

Post Thanks / Like

Earlier in the season he was in discussion for #1.

He fell for the very concerns you highlighted about Wiggins.

I think you go with who you think has a better NBA career.

He might not develop immediately but there were A LOT of questions surrounding Durant in his rookie year as well.
    I'm really interested in how MU is going to evaluate the talent in this draft. He's done well with late picks, and I think this will be the first time he is able to pick in the lottery. I'm really confident he will find the best talent available. If there is any disappointment in the Gay trade it's that he wasn't able to get any picks thrown in..even 2nd rounders.

7. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But how do you know whom will have the best career though if they are not showing that drive which some other guys are showing. I'm not comparing Wiggins to Perry Jones III, but there are some comparisons to be made as far as talent/drive.

I guess my question is in this draft can we afford to wait on potential or go for the sure thing? Personally, I do think that where ever the Raptors make their pick in this particular draft they have to go for a guy that can take over a game. We have enough role players and it's time to go for someone can create/score.
    The Raps aren't going anywhere for the next 2-3 seasons, we can afford to wait for the potential if MU believes that Wiggins will be the better player.

Wiggins can take over a game, and did so throughout high school. But the kid is wired differently than a Kobe or MJ and has a lot more of a LeBron mentality, he wants to play within the team system and make his teammates better.

PJ3 is a bit of an extreme example. He has no motor and never even turned it on for stretches. Wiggins turns it on and does need to turn it on a bit more but right now he's adjusting to new teammates, new environment, etc. He makes everything look so easy that it looks like he isn't trying as hard. They used to say the same thing about T-Mac, effortless but not without effort.

9. Like OldSkoolCool, Mediumcore liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    Is LaVine 100% white? Not usually one to bring up race, but if he is he might just be the most athletic white American prospect ever...
    African American Jewish hybrid is my take.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Wiggins taking a couple years to develop is perfect - too quick a jump up the standings will hurt the team in the long run. Slow, continuous progress (collecting a couple top picks along the way) is the way to go, until contracts drop off the books, and we can sign some players to complement our newly drafted core.

13. Like Nilanka, mcHAPPY, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Wiggins taking a couple years to develop is perfect - too quick a jump up the standings will hurt the team in the long run. Slow, continuous progress (collecting a couple top picks along the way) is the way to go, until contracts drop off the books, and we can sign some players to complement our newly drafted core.
    Especially with the Raps already holding an extra 1st round pick in 2016. I firmly believe in (and support) a methodical 2.5 year rebuilding process, to start their run as a perennial playoff team (and contender for deep playoff runs, at least) in the 2016-17 season.

That gives MU 3 years to build the team efficiently & effectively (1 season to undo the past and 2 seasons to rebuild), then 2 seasons to start truly competing, within the framework of his 5-year contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Especially with the Raps already holding an extra 1st round pick in 2016. I firmly believe (and support) in a methodical 2.5 year rebuilding process, to start their run as a perennial playoff team (and contender for deep playoff runs, at least) in the 2016-17 season.
    Agreed, plus 2 picks in 2016 is prime time to be able to make a move (package a pick for an established player or move up in the draft).

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    The Raptors have wealthy ownership and the CBA to allow them to go over the cap with Bird Rights.

Goal should absolutely be to get high draft picks for next 2 drafts and hopefully squeeze out an extra first round pick or two along the way.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

NBADraft.net has their board updated.

Zach LaVine at #5 in 2014.

I'm not surprised. I have serious emotions about that kid. lol
    Yeah, i've finally got the chance to watch the Bruins play. LaVine is ridiculously talented.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

18. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

It's called a "trade". If the raps can't pick him they'll just send whoever they draft plus whatever else to get him. The match is too good. Or believe the nba conspiracy theories ... Ewing to knicks, Lebron to cavs, Wiggins to raps.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont want to be a buzz kill but there is one aspect of Wiggins I have across a couple of times...he is not a "gym rat" and he doesn't particularly like practice. Not like the great ones, Kobe, Durant, Jordan and lol our DD. They have all been documented as "gym rats" constantly by themselves in a gym improving themselves. So has anyone consider this a potential red flag? Can he change? Is he so good he doesnt need it?

Here is a quote by his prep school coach:

"Talent aside, Fulford acknowledged that Wiggins is no gym rat. Though Wiggins loves playing basketball, Fulford said he needs to fall in love with working on improving. Sometimes Wiggins gets bored with practice, and coaches nudge him, looking for the trigger. Fulford has told Wiggins two dozen times, "I don't think at any point ever that anyone had to go tell Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant to pick it up."

A decent article on Wiggins...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...iting/1654439/

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

A decent article on Wiggins...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...iting/1654439/[/QUOTE]

Great Read. Really kinda puts it in perspective how much pressure is really on this kid. Im only a year older and say "kid." I really feel for the guy. The gym rat thing is another great reason to keep Demar around him as a young guy who is so mature. Also when you see guys working that hard it forces you to work hard. I can just imagine them as a wing combo… that would be sooooo dynamic. But anyways back to the point this guy not only has the normal pressure of a top prospect but a whole nation on the kids back. Hes what 17? feel for him, man i want to see him kick ass though.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I give a shit what the guy in HS says about him. He just dropped 26 and 9 in a tight game, carried his team in the process.

I absolutely HATE when forum people start using words like "motor", drive, etc. Please, you're talking about 18 year old kids you have never seen or met. Quincy Acy has a great motor, so do 85% of the guys in the dleague, and in the NBA. Lets back off this type of heresay and rumour mill stuff shall we.

Bargnani was supposed to be the prototypical NBA superstar, you know, after all the Psych testing.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya I would rather have a non-gym rat who can take over a game than a gym rat that isn't talented enough to take over a game, no matter how hard he tries.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure I give a shit what the guy in HS says about him. He just dropped 26 and 9 in a tight game, carried his team in the process.

I absolutely HATE when forum people start using words like "motor", drive, etc. Please, you're talking about 18 year old kids you have never seen or met. Quincy Acy has a great motor, so do 85% of the guys in the dleague, and in the NBA. Lets back off this type of heresay and rumour mill stuff shall we.

Bargnani was supposed to be the prototypical NBA superstar, you know, after all the Psych testing.
    Bold: Rumor mill stuff? That was a direct quote by his coach who recruited him and was his coach until last year. What would be his motive for putting that out in the linked USAToday piece. I did not mention the other quote as it was an "anonymous scout". So you see no merit. Cool.

ps.. Did u know that Bargs psych tester was Colangelo.

Page 31 of 337 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 ... LastLast

Thread Information