Page 50 of 337 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 6734

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I noticed this as well. Lavine has a very NBA usable skill set and some freak athleticism. I would be happy to pick him up
    Interesting, nbadraft has him as a top 10 pick. I think somewhere between 20 and 30 is most likely. It's shaping up to be a good year to grab a point guard in the range where the Raptors are picking.
    tank-agnostic

2. Like Mapko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

SI's Big Board (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...iid/?eref=sihp)

some names to consider:
    17th - Sam Dekker - 6'7" SF Wisconsin who's main selling points are versatile, athletic and 3 point potential
    19th - Zach Lavine - UCLA PG who's been all over the place but projects well into the NBA
    20th - Doug McDermott - the next Kyle Korver or the next Adam Morrison?

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post

some names to consider:
    17th - Sam Dekker - 6'7" SF Wisconsin who's main selling points are versatile, athletic and 3 point potential
    19th - Zach Lavine - UCLA PG who's been all over the place but projects well into the NBA
    LaVine and McDermott are not goin to drop that low in the draft. LaVine i think is going to be drafted in the top 10. McDermott top 15.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

some names to consider:
    LaVine has to much potential to drop out of the lottery and McDermott is gonna be in that 10-15 range

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

McDermott is going to fall hard in the draft imo

Lack of upside and lack of athleticism is going to hurt him badly come draft night

7. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    LaVine and McDermott are not goin to drop that low in the draft. LaVine i think is going to be drafted in the top 10. McDermott top 15.
    Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    LaVine has to much potential to drop out of the lottery and McDermott is gonna be in that 10-15 range
    In this draft, who do you drop in favor of those guys? So much talent, someone has to drop. I think Lavine is less likely to drop, but the fact that he is currently ranked 19th on SI's big board shows how much talent there is.

9. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In case you aren't already cheering for Michigan State Spartans this March, how about a Steve Novak clone?

How often does an elite team unveil a new offensive weapon in January? The Spartans have done that with redshirt freshman Kenny Kaminski, a 6-8 forward who self-sabotaged his non-conference season by getting two three-game suspensions. Kaminski has come off the bench in Big Ten games to go 12-of-18 from long range, and he's a strange power forward in that he does almost nothing else. He's only taken two shots inside the arc in the same stretch, hasn't made a trip to the free throw line and barely rebounds or blocks shots. Kaminski is -- and I thank friend-of-the-Rankings John Ezekowitz for this half-serious comparison -- a two-inches-shorter, college version of Steve Novak:

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2qfR7D67q

Post Thanks / Like

Raise your hand if you've heard of Chadrack Lufile....I'd call BS on 99% of you

Compare the 6-9 Lufile's Missouri Valley-only numbers from last season against those from this season (per Statsheet.com), and the difference is striking. His minutes more than doubled ... and his per-minute production more than doubled:

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2qfSDvnW1

Post Thanks / Like

How many teams lose their starting center and cover the rebounding lose with their PG?

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    McDermott is going to fall hard in the draft imo

Lack of upside and lack of athleticism is going to hurt him badly come draft night
    Yeah McDermott won't go top 15 imo. Hard to know for sure though. He really impressed scouts/GMs at the Team USA scrimmages this summer where he went against allstar type players and held his own, and I think that is why DraftExpress.com has him going 12th at the moment where as they were always really low on him prior to this year. My guess is top 25 for him atm.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Watching this Syracuse game right now. Ennis is tremendous.

16. Like rocwell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bilas: Tyler Ennis is absolutely unflappable. He's the best freshman point guard, by far. I wonder if he's cracked a smile yet. Impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

MONSTER game for Embiid. 13pts 11rbs 8blks.

Wiggins on the other hand struggled big time. 3pts 2rbs 1ast.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

MONSTER game for Embiid. 13pts 11rbs 8blks.

Wiggins on the other hand struggled big time. 3pts 2rbs 1ast.
    Embiid is crazy skilled, old school dude.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Raise your hand if you've heard of Chadrack Lufile....I'd call BS on 99% of you

Compare the 6-9 Lufile's Missouri Valley-only numbers from last season against those from this season (per Statsheet.com), and the difference is striking. His minutes more than doubled ... and his per-minute production more than doubled:

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2qfSDvnW1
    *Raises hand*

With both Lufile and Nick Wiggins, I think most people who follow Canadian basketball closely keep tabs on Wichita State. It's interesting that there are a bunch of Canadian seniors this year who probably won't get drafted but could find their way into the league through d-league or through europe. Lufile, Heslip, Ejim, Posthumus, and Rivard all fit that.
    tank-agnostic

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Bilas: Tyler Ennis is absolutely unflappable. He's the best freshman point guard, by far. I wonder if he's cracked a smile yet. Impressive.
    Looks like Ennis will play himself into lottery rumors by March if he keeps it up --- that sucks as a Raptors fan. But good for him -- go get those checks.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From NBA Insider:

"Australia's Dante Exum and Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart are widely considered to be the top two point guard prospects expected to be in the 2014 NBA draft.

But a closer look at the makeup of the projected draft lottery reveals that unless either player sneaks into the top 3 and is drafted above a Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid or Andrew Wiggins, they could be in for a draft-day slide.

You might be wondering why this could be. After all, ESPN's NBA draft insider Chad Ford lists Exum No. 5 and Smart No. 6 on his latest Big Board, and both players should be prime targets along with Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon for picks No. 4-6.

The question is whether any of the teams in the 4-10 slots will even be looking to add a point guard.

Consider this: The two teams with the greatest need for point guard among those in the projected lottery, Milwaukee and Orlando, also happen to have the two worst records in the game. If that holds up, there's a decent chance both will end up with top 3 picks, meaning they'll have a chance at Parker, Embiid or Wiggins.

If that happens and the Bucks and Magic go with "best player available" over positional need, there aren't many other teams with huge point guard needs in the rest of the projected lottery. Utah has Trey Burke, Philadelphia has Michael Carter-Williams. Cleveland has Kyrie Irving. Denver gets New York's pick but they're already set with Ty Lawson. The same goes for Atlanta, which gets Brooklyn's pick but already is locked up with Jeff Teague long-term. Boston has Rajon Rondo. Memphis has Mike Conley. Minnesota has Ricky Rubio. New Orleans sends their pick to Philly, and has Jrue Holiday anyways. Detroit is invested in Brandon Jennings through 2015-16. And Dallas is on the hook with Jose Calderon through 2016-17. "

If Exum or Smart dropped, as imagined above, how hard do the Raps push to trade up? If they were picking 24th, could they move up to 11 or 12, assuming Exum or Smart were available? Do they have the assets to move up?

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As an Aussie I'd love if the raptors somehow landed Exum. I just hope he manages to avoid the Bucks. Such a boring franchise and I already had to endure Bogut going #1 there. Anywhere but there please!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    From NBA Insider:

"Australia's Dante Exum and Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart are widely considered to be the top two point guard prospects expected to be in the 2014 NBA draft.

But a closer look at the makeup of the projected draft lottery reveals that unless either player sneaks into the top 3 and is drafted above a Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid or Andrew Wiggins, they could be in for a draft-day slide.

You might be wondering why this could be. After all, ESPN's NBA draft insider Chad Ford lists Exum No. 5 and Smart No. 6 on his latest Big Board, and both players should be prime targets along with Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon for picks No. 4-6.

The question is whether any of the teams in the 4-10 slots will even be looking to add a point guard.

Consider this: The two teams with the greatest need for point guard among those in the projected lottery, Milwaukee and Orlando, also happen to have the two worst records in the game. If that holds up, there's a decent chance both will end up with top 3 picks, meaning they'll have a chance at Parker, Embiid or Wiggins.

If that happens and the Bucks and Magic go with "best player available" over positional need, there aren't many other teams with huge point guard needs in the rest of the projected lottery. Utah has Trey Burke, Philadelphia has Michael Carter-Williams. Cleveland has Kyrie Irving. Denver gets New York's pick but they're already set with Ty Lawson. The same goes for Atlanta, which gets Brooklyn's pick but already is locked up with Jeff Teague long-term. Boston has Rajon Rondo. Memphis has Mike Conley. Minnesota has Ricky Rubio. New Orleans sends their pick to Philly, and has Jrue Holiday anyways. Detroit is invested in Brandon Jennings through 2015-16. And Dallas is on the hook with Jose Calderon through 2016-17. "

If Exum or Smart dropped, as imagined above, how hard do the Raps push to trade up? If they were picking 24th, could they move up to 11 or 12, assuming Exum or Smart were available? Do they have the assets to move up?
    I remember reading about how Ujiri was extremely high on Exum, and have already thought that he will try to move up to acquire him. Based on his desire to have a young and potential filled bench, somehow getting Exum to be the backup PG would be huge!

But unless he slips to around 10th pick, as the article supposes, it won't be possible. I highly doubt that he will slip as most teams don't pick simply based on need, but largely on best player available.

Also, why aren't the Lakers mentioned in that article? They are a likely lottery team, and currently have deep needs at PG. With Nash, Blake, and Farmar injured, they are relying on an unproven Marshall to lead the team. They wouldn't jump at the opportunity for a high ceiling PG in the draft?

Thread Information