Page 176 of 337 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 226 276 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 6734

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    But let's be real here. Couldn't the Lakers just sign Lowry outright and wait until the following offseason to get other players? Is it really worth mortgaging the 7th pick just to clear Nash off the books?
    It would be if another star player could be signed with the cap space that Nash's $9M+ contract is eating up. The Raps could include say the #37 and #59 picks as well. In this deep draft, the #37 pick is really just a late 1st round pick without the guaranteed money attached to it.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

But let's be real here. Couldn't the Lakers just sign Lowry outright and wait until the following offseason to get other players? Is it really worth mortgaging the 7th pick just to clear Nash off the books?
    They could indeed wait. Of course, that is always true of bad contracts, regardless of length. And teams often mortgage picks for quicker cap space. I agree that were I them I would not be trading that 7th pick, but if their priorities are to win over the next couple years (possibly the final couple years for Kobe), that cap space might be more valuable than that pick. Between Nash's 9.7M and the pick's cap hold, they clear about 11.2M in room - enough to easily fit Lowry and still maintain the rest of their cap space to hunt for big names. I think they'd be better off trying to pry Love away with their 7th, but that might not be enough of an asset for them to win that race anyway, and leveraging the Lakers brand in free agency might be the best course of action they have, if short term success is the goal.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Too much talk about breaking up the second best backcourt in the league on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Too much talk about breaking up the second best backcourt in the league on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the raps were a Legit contender or if Lowry and DeRozan were still on rookie deals, I'd give your post a like.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man the lineup of

Smart
    Ross
    Someone else
    Vonleh
    JV

Would be so beautiful .. but it would be so hard to see the current guys go

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be looking at making a small deal with LA or Boston (maybe not even involving #20) to move up and get Randle or Vonleh if we had #8 on our hands.
    I will give you a deal that many LA or Boston will go for

Big Val for #6 or #7 !!! Other than that, Raptors have NOTHING that will interest either of these franchises. Once again, to all the people who are thinking about trades with Lakers, down load TuneIn radio and listen to ESPN 710 and get a DOSE of REALITY.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    They could indeed wait. Of course, that is always true of bad contracts, regardless of length. And teams often mortgage picks for quicker cap space. I agree that were I them I would not be trading that 7th pick, but if their priorities are to win over the next couple years (possibly the final couple years for Kobe), that cap space might be more valuable than that pick. Between Nash's 9.7M and the pick's cap hold, they clear about 11.2M in room - enough to easily fit Lowry and still maintain the rest of their cap space to hunt for big names. I think they'd be better off trying to pry Love away with their 7th, but that might not be enough of an asset for them to win that race anyway, and leveraging the Lakers brand in free agency might be the best course of action they have, if short term success is the goal.
    Marc stein tweet:

RT @WindhorstESPN: Teams that want to sign LeBron won't impress him w/draft picks. You better be ready to win now: espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id…

Who would take #7, return an impact player, and pay Nash's last year?
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

8. Like CalgaryRapsFan, DanH liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Forbes wrote: View Post
    “Everyone is talking about a great draft class this year,” Golden State consultant Jerry West told ESPN Radio. “I think it’s just the opposite. I think it’s a poor one, myself.”

“It’s not even close to one of the best draft classes in the last 10 years,” Celtic GM Danny Ainge told the Boston Globe.
    This is whats called blowing smoke up your ass. GSW who West represents has no draft picks to worry about thank you very much. Ainge is pissed because he is stuck in the 6 hole. And the obfuscation begins.

10. Like Jamshid liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Oh man the lineup of

Smart
    Ross
    Someone else
    Vonleh
    JV

Might be beautiful but is likely to go 28 and 54. After watching playoff ball with a game 7 some may not be so willing to break it apart and take a fairly large risk that this lineup Vonleh/Smart and Someone Else comes together in 2016-17 for a playoff run.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Well, in their defense. Irving was and is still the best player from that draft.

Anthony Bennett doesn't look great so far but no one from that draft has been terribly impressive yet. It's MCW and a bunch of meh players.

Their biggest fuck up was passing on JV to take Tristan Thompson, and TT and JV aren't that far off in terms of production right now.

True, but: Who is easier to replace? Amir, 2Pat (or even TH) can all give you more or less what TT gives you (ie TT is easily replaceable). JVal is not.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree. I think the Cavs are looking at Embiid first and foremost. If his health checks out, they take him imo.

ESPN agrees with me http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...d=SportsCenter
    Here lies the problem. His agent is not willing to let any team do physical (actually, he will to a select team or 2 -likely not Bucks or Cavs).

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    No, their biggest fuckup was passing on Andre Drummond, Damian Lillard and Harrison Barnes (and heck, even T-Ross) for Dion Waiters in 2012.
    Waiters is better than you think

....he has a bad rep here for some reason

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I really like Payton. I would not at all be bothered by the Raps taking a possible 3rd string PG with the 20th pick (or even moving up for Ennis). It's always good to have that insurance if one of Vasquez or Lowry is not re-signed. Also Vasquez did a good job playing as a SG this year and he's generally a bit less exposed quickness-wise on D there. Also can't forget that even if both are re-signed, Vasquez may be for just one year if they can't agree on a long contract and he just signs for the qualifying offer.
    Payton could end up being the best non-lotto guy drafted. I was high on him in december then got distracted by a couple of guys but now I think he is the Raps best target at 20

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I'd love the Cavs to trade #1. I just think it is going to take a lot more than DD and #20 to do it. JV would likely be the starting point.
    Would you guys trade DD+NY/DENVER 2016 PICK+2015 PICK for Cleveland's #1 Pick and Varejao?

Our lineup for the future would be Ross, Wiggins, JV.

And maybe with our 20th pick draft a guy like Elfrid Payton?
    *Drooooool*

Done. Sign me up. I would add some more in there (like Salmons expiring for Jack for added incentive) in order to get it done. Though I would prefer to keep the 2015 pick and offer then the best of ours/nyk/den pick in 2016 (NYK looks good)

Oh man the lineup of

Smart
    Ross
    Someone else
    Vonleh
    JV

Smart is going to be a huge draft flop.

If he is lucky he goes to a team where he has ZERO point guard responsibilities and can be the Tony Allen of point guards.

Sure he works hard, sure he is built like a brick sh**house, but he can't lead a team. There are reasons why his team wasn't very good in college

15. Like BigCamB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL I can't wait to see what we get for the 3 picks New York sent us.. for Andrea Bargnani 😂 AAHAHAH

Wish Bargs the best though.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know who this guy is???
    Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

Post Thanks / Like

Would we be able to get the 8th pick for Amir+Vasquez in hopes to draft Vonleh?

Post Thanks / Like

Would we be able to get the 8th pick for Amir+Vasquez in hopes to draft Vonleh?

No lol

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Starter kopite91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    This is whats called blowing smoke up your ass. GSW who West represents has no draft picks to worry about thank you very much. Ainge is pissed because he is stuck in the 6 hole. And the obfuscation begins.
    Listen I agree with West that these kids should stay longer in college and most of the kids coming out of this draft are fundamentally deficient. The only exception might be Embiid, who from a technical point of view, is the best player available in this draft. Like Hakeem, Embiid has already mastered basic post moves (basic jump hook, over-under, simple counters) and he can build on that.

Where I have to disagree with West (who probably knows more about basketball than I ever will), is the rating of star talent. While we'll never see a Wilt, Russell, Shaq or Lebron type player ever again, I think he's being too harsh. Embiid is incredibly mobile and has the smoothest gait of a 7 footer I've ever seen since maybe Shaq himself. Plus a 45 inch vertical leap is no joke and Wiggins also has an incredible wingspan and some big mitts. Star talent is there, but I can't see why there can't be franchise-changing talent.

It's sorta like how you do a dunking contest. You see a couple good dunks and you throw out a 10. When a jaw-dropping one comes along, you wished you hadn't given out a 10 so fast. Jerry West is one of those judges who'd be conservative on the 10 and wait until a special one comes along when in truth, he should be giving them out a little more often.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

If he is lucky he goes to a team where he has ZERO point guard responsibilities and can be the Tony Allen of point guards.

Sure he works hard, sure he is built like a brick sh**house, but he can't lead a team. There are reasons why his team wasn't very good in college
    Finally someone here who also doesn't rate him that much! Not only his PG skills are lacking but obviously he can't shoot at all and his athleticism is way overrated. Below the rim player in games.

---------

Btw, Ainge has always said it was an overrated draft, not just because they slid to 6th. He often says something yet means the complete opposite though. I tend to agree with him, although not because it's a top heavy draft, there will be lots of good players. The top end is the overrated part IMO for the amount of hype it gets.

23. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Waiters is better than you think

....he has a bad rep here for some reason
    Waiters is hot garbage. Inefficient, bad teammate, doesn't really contribute anything outside of his scoring (which he does VERY inefficiently as I already said). Only reason he has any value is because of his young age. I wouldn't even consider trading Ross for him.

Smart isn't going to be a flop, but I do agree with you on his ideal scenario being somewhere where he doesn't need to handle point guard duties. He'd be a nice fit in Boston next to Rajon.

Thread Information