Page 210 of 337 FirstFirst ... 110 160 200 208 209 210 211 212 220 260 310 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 6734

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Lavine is SG in the Jamal Ceawford mild.

http://search.draftexpress.com/artic...Analysis-4600/
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Lavine is SG in the Jamal Ceawford mild.

http://search.draftexpress.com/artic...Analysis-4600/
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, pretty much...except Crawford had much better PG skills coming into the league. Excellent ballhandler and decent passer. LaVine is average to below average in those areas.

Also that video is one game against a bad defensive team.

I just think his best-case is a scoring SG off the bench much like Crawford, especially when you consider how raw/lazy/stupid he still is offensively and how he doesn't try at all on D.

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Toronto Raptors continue preparations for the 2014 NBA Draft by holding two pre-draft workouts June 11-12. The team has also scheduled additional workouts June 17 and 19.

The pre-draft workouts will be held on the Raptorsí practice court at Air Canada Centre and closed for public viewing. Media will have an opportunity for photos, video footage and player interviews following each session. A member of the Raptors Basketball Operations staff will also be available for comments.

A full list of participating players will be released in the morning prior to each workout. Players and workout times are subject to change. Please call the Raptors media information line (416) 815-6111 for the latest information.

Toronto earned the 20th overall pick in this yearís draft after finishing the 2013-14 campaign with a team-record 48 wins. The Raptors also have the 37th and 59th picks in the second round. The 2014 NBA Draft will be held June 26 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The first round will be shown live on TSN2 and NBA TV Canada beginning at 7 p.m. NBA TV Canada will continue with coverage of the second round.

_____

Interesting, does additional workouts means they weren't impressed with the players? Or may be the opposite.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    Interesting, does additional workouts means they weren't impressed with the players? Or may be the opposite.
    Depends on who's invited. Bringing back a player for a second workout generally means they're interested and want to see more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Hey Blackjitsu, you didn't even watch the video properly.

When it said he has a lack of left hand it was referring to his finishing ability not his dribbling. In fact you could see several times during the video that he was blowing by his defender with the left-handed dribble as well as the right.

Most of LaVine's problems judging from that video have to do with fundamentals and are all things that can be coached. Finishing with the left hand can be improved upon. You think Casey wouldn't get a guy with LaVine's athleticism in a proper defensive stance?

- He has an explosive first step and the ability to get into the paint at will
    - He can handle the basketball effectively and use left-right moves to set up his man for the drive or pull-up
    - He can pass the ball well. Not elite with his court-vision but able to drive and dish (not every PG is in the mold of a CP3, this is exactly the type of stuff that Parker does for San Antonio, it's not like he throws bullet passes from all over using his court vision)
    - He has the physical tools to be a shutdown defender at the PG position

His finishing skills should improve with increased strength, and what he needs to do now is work on his in-between game (mid-range shot, floaters, etc) so he can still be effective offensively when he gets all the way to the rim.

By no means is LaVine supposed to be a Tyler Ennis type of PG prospect. He's a project, but if you can maximize his potential, this guy is going to be MILES better than any other guard in this draft. Yes it's more of a risky pick, because if he isn't coachable and can't learn to be more effective as a PG at the NBA level, there's a chance he could bust; but I'd rather take him than a safe guy. I'm not really interested in just adding role players.
    By definition explosion insinuates a change in speed. LaVine is fast. But it's one speed. There's no change. You're confusing getting by a mediocre defender with explosion. There's a big difference.

No. No he can't use his left hand. Even the Draft Express guy states clearly that he has no left hand handles. I went through the video and found only one moment when he dribbled the ball more than twice with his left hand on a drive. Against professionals, you will get locked down if you're that predictable. Again, go look at his workout footage, against zero people he refuses to showcase his left hand in drills.

You have to be able to split screens in the modern NBA if you want to play point guard. I don't understand what you guys are missing here. You can't use screens the same way every time -- that's too predictable.

Passing on its own does not make you a point guard. You have to run plays. If you can only run plays to one half of the court everything becomes predictable.

This whole physical tools thing -- height, or athleticism are not physical prerequisites to being an NBA point guard. You know what is? Being able to dribble the ball with both hands. Being explosive (being able to suddenly change speeds and create space), not fast, explosive. Having intelligence - like not going to a school with an excess of players at your alleged position if you want to showcase your skills...Those are the requirements.

I'm not saying he's not talented. I'm not saying that a smile wouldn't be on my face if the Raps picked him.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Walter Tavares. I'd like to see the Raptors use their 2nd round pick on that 7'3 guy.

Or DeAndre Daniels. Then trade Salmons for Perkins and a pick.
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Tue Jun 10th, 2014 at 05:12 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not high on Lavine either.

If he falls to 20, I'm considering, but not definitely picking up.

I'm definitely not trading up to get him.

8. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Via HoopsHype.com:

Adam Zagoria: New Mexico C Alex Kirk works out for Toronto and Charlotte this week, source tells @SNYtv Twitter @AdamZagoria
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love GR3 with our second round pick. Him or Inglis. Fingers crossed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuggets reportedly trading #11 to Chicago for #16 and #19.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Would love GR3 with our second round pick. Him or Inglis. Fingers crossed.
    Yeah, I'd be happy with either one at 37, especially if we go PG or big at 20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Nuggets reportedly trading #11 to Chicago for #16 and #19.
    like breaking news or there's been talk about it?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    like breaking news or there's been talk about it?
    With the NBA draft just 16 days away on June 26, teams around the league are jockeying for position with the hope that they can move up or even acquire assets in moving down in the draft order.

According to a report by Chad Ford of ESPN.com, the Denver Nuggets and Chicago Bulls are in discussions over possibly swapping some of their picks.

The aforementioned move would see the Nuggets send their No. 11 pick to the Bulls for their No. 16 and 19 picks.
    Chris Dempsey of The Denver Post reported last week that general manager Tim Connelly had been making a “fair share of calls” concerning the No. 11 pick and moving it to acquire a veteran talent.

That pick is the highest the Nuggets have gone since taking Carmelo Anthony out of Syracuse University in 2003.

“I don’t think things will pick up until the next week or so,” Connelly said. “But after a relatively quiet trade deadline, I think we’ll see a more active build-up to the draft. I would imagine we’ll have a lot of trades.”

Denver finished the regular season with a record of 36-46, good enough for 11th in the Western Conference. They were 13 games back of the eighth and final playoff spot.

Management feels that the team can quickly gather themselves and get back in the postseason picture in 2014-15. Rather than wait for a developing talent out of the draft and hoping he can contribute right away, perhaps the right move is go the veteran route and find someone who can immediately pay dividends.
    http://fansided.com/2014/06/10/nba-r...-picks/#!W77Zi

16. Like stooley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, saw Ford mention that in his mock draft. It doesn't sound like it's necessarily a sure thing yet though.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the full move would be though?

It seems odd to me that Chicago would trade both picks without unloading Boozer. Maybe they're resigned to amnestying him at this point rather than give up assets to move him. Otherwise I have no clue how they move him. Future picks? Those are always less appealing.

Post Thanks / Like

If Denver wants a veteran for the #11, the only person on Chicago who fits the description and can conceivably be moved is Taj Gibson, since Denver isn't stupid enough to trade anything of value for Carlos Boozer (and Chicago can't absorb the contract anyway) and Chicago isn't trading Joakim Noah. Moving Gibson means the Bulls sign Nikola Mirotic this year and clear up more space for a Carmelo run.

Taj Gibson and #11 for Kenneth Faried (who Denver arguably can't afford to re-sign anyway), #16 and 19. That's my guess. Unless I'm wrong and Denver really IS stupid enough to trade for Carlos Boozer. I mean, they traded Kosta Koufos for Darrell Arthur, so who knows.

Oh: and if Chicago does this? They're doing it to grab either Stauskas, Harris or McDermott. They need shooting and those three will all probably go in the 10-14 range.

20. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you guys want Faried?
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Would you guys want Faried?
    Good character guy and he's always exciting to watch, but he's not a good defender at all and he's gonna want a decent money extension. Pass.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Best case scenario at #20-Ennis, #37-Glenn Robinson III, #59-Bachynski

Thread Information