No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still highly concerned about the PG spot. Lowry's status won't be known until after the draft. If he walks and in my mind its 50/50.. what do we do? GV is okay but not the future. I totally get drafting BPA but the need is PG unless Lowry resigns. Have to get a PG in this draft..

So Minny will probably get to keep their pick (top 13 protected to Phoenix). If Minny believes they have a chance to keep Love next year do they trade that pick for a veteran? I think 13 could get you Ennis.

Wonder what we could offer to grab that pick? They need wing depth.. and I wouldn't give up Ross for #13.. DD maybe but don't like anyone on their roster not named Kevin Love.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      I'm still highly concerned about the PG spot. Lowry's status won't be known until after the draft. If he walks and in my mind its 50/50.. what do we do? GV is okay but not the future. I totally get drafting BPA but the need is PG unless Lowry resigns. Have to get a PG in this draft..

So Minny will probably get to keep their pick (top 13 protected to Phoenix). If Minny believes they have a chance to keep Love next year do they trade that pick for a veteran? I think 13 could get you Ennis.

Wonder what we could offer to grab that pick? They need wing depth.. and I wouldn't give up Ross for #13.. DD maybe but don't like anyone on their roster not named Kevin Love.
      I understand what your saying but you always I repeat always pick BPA!!!!!!

You dont want to look at this draft 5 years from now and say we picked a PG in case Lowry walks and someone who picks after us ends up with a gem!
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        You draft the BPA period. You don't draft based on need.
        This theory works within the the top 5-6 picks, maybe all the way to top 10, but after that the BPA label gets very blurry.

Rank the Following players:

Gary Harris
        Kyle Anderson
        Tyler Ennis
        Rodney Hood
        TJ Warren
        Doug McDermott
        Nick Stauskas

Do you think there is a clear order? Ask 10 people and 10 people will give you a different list.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
          Exactly! Thats how you end up drafting Greg Oden over KD Marvin Williams over Chris Paul/Deron Williams
          Or Ross over Drummond
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Exactly! Thats how you end up drafting Greg Oden over KD Marvin Williams over Chris Paul/Deron Williams
            Um....Greg Oden was the consensus #1 pick.

And Marvin Williams was considered BPA by Atlanta. They had no real need for him, having drafted Josh Smith the previous year. *EDIT: but they had a glaring gigantic hole at PG and passed on those guys for Williams.

I get what you're saying, but these are the wrong examples.

*EDIT: These 2 teams followed it and it backfired massively. The draft is just very far from an exact science.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Mar 31, 2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
              This theory works within the the top 5-6 picks, maybe all the way to top 10, but after that the BPA label gets very blurry.

Gary Harris
              Kyle Anderson
              Tyler Ennis
              Rodney Hood
              TJ Warren
              Doug McDermott
              Nick Stauskas

Do you think there is a clear order? Ask 10 people and 10 people will give you a different list.
              Ennis and Harris are gonna be the 2 best pro's outta that group

Comment

Gary Harris
                Kyle Anderson
                Tyler Ennis
                Rodney Hood
                TJ Warren
                Doug McDermott
                Nick Stauskas

I would even say that it's rarely clear even in the top 5. Usually who the top 5-6 should be is clear. But there is rarely consensus for those picks. At best usually the top 2-3 have some consensus.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Um....Greg Oden was the consensus #1 pick.

And Marvin Williams was considered BPA by Atlanta. They had no real need for him, having drafted Josh Smith the previous year.

I get what you're saying, but these are the wrong examples.
                  Okay how about ROSS over Drummond?

Comment

Gary Harris
                    Kyle Anderson
                    Tyler Ennis
                    Rodney Hood
                    TJ Warren
                    Doug McDermott
                    Nick Stauskas

Harris
                    Ennis
                    McDermott
                    Stauskas
                    Anderson
                    Hood
                    Warren
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

I understand what your saying but you always I repeat always pick BPA!!!!!!

You dont want to look at this draft 5 years from now and say we picked a PG in case Lowry walks and someone who picks after us ends up with a gem!
                      Yeah and as WJF and WMCJ just mentioned.. the BPA is usually the guys in the top 5-6 of the draft, not in the 15-20 range typically. That's usually when teams draft based on need or for role players that can help bolster the bench. You don't hear about players being picked 17 or 18 that shouldn't have because the guy at 19 was the BPA.

Comment

• Draft 2012
                        Selected guard Evan Fournier (20th overalll pick), forward Quincy Miller (38th overall pick) and center Izzet Turkyilmaz (50th overall pick).

I think somthing can be learned from the last draft Masai was involved in. We are likely picking at 20,37 and 59 so I think we might end up with a similar philosophy.

His only other pick was Faried at 20 in 2011 so for what it's worth I think he's a good enough talent evaluator. Possibly evolved as a gm since then since it's been almost 2 years since his last pick. Just pointing out this could perhaps be the template he could potentially follow again

BPAat 20
                        Highest upside pick at 37
                        And euro stasher at 59

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Yeah and as WJF and WMCJ just mentioned.. the BPA is usually the guys in the top 5-6 of the draft, not in the 15-20 range typically. That's usually when teams draft based on need or for role players that can help bolster the bench. You don't hear about players being picked 17 or 18 that shouldn't have because the guy at 19 was the BPA.
                          Michael Bradley - Zach Randolph?

Edit - Joey Graham/Danny Granger
                          Last edited by 3inthekeon; Mon Mar 31, 2014, 02:53 PM.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Remember when the Fans is Toronto all booed when Mighty Mouse was drafted, all wanted the ED O'Bannon, he was at the time the hot name and considered BPA
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Okay how about ROSS over Drummond?
                              Well, we'll see how that turns out.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                                Michael Bradley - Zach Randolph?
                                Zach took a long time to reach his potential, has maturity and conditioning issues coming out of college, no surprise on that pick.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X