The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    Lavine is a PG. His future NBA team is drafting as a PG.
    This, really getting tired of hearing his a 2-guard.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
      This, really getting tired of hearing his a 2-guard.
      Well he hasn't displayed any PG skills. That's a big time project that probably never pans out. Pretty sure I had better PG skills when I was his age.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Well he hasn't displayed any PG skills. That's a big time project that probably never pans out. Pretty sure I had better PG skills when I was his age.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        He hasn't displayed PG skills in COLLEGE because he was not afforded the opportunity to be a primary ball-handler. UCLA pretty much used him as a spot up shooter because they had a more experienced playmaker in Kyle Anderson playing PG for them.

Comment

He hasn't displayed PG skills in COLLEGE because he was not afforded the opportunity to be a primary ball-handler. UCLA pretty much used him as a spot up shooter because they had a more experienced playmaker in Kyle Anderson playing PG for them.
          And the coaches son started over him as well

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• If only there was video that showed how LaVine handled being the lead guard this past season...What? There is? No!

Question(s):

How many point guards do you know who can only sustain there left hand dribble for 2 bounces?

If he's a point guard, where's the footage of him splitting screens?

Zach does not change speeds well, which means his only way of penetrating is using straight line drives. How many point guards in the NBA are straight-line drivers?

This LaVine as a PG thing is feeling more, and more like a troll job. There's zero footage that proves he has the potential at that position. He's big enough to play the 2 guard. He's going to be first round drat pick. So why the hate on people who see his skill-set and properly assess him as a SG?

Comment

• That video shows that Lavine does have PG skills.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                That video shows that Lavine does have PG skills.
                WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT? HE HAS NO LEFT HAND! HE CAN'T SPLIT SCREENS! HE PLAYS AT 1 SPEED!

There are tons of SGs with solid passing skills. Guys like DeMar, and Beale for instance. If you can't run plays to half of the court, because you can't dribble with that hand, you can't penetrate because all they have to do is show on screens (because there's no threat of you splitting the screen). YOU CANNOT PLAY POINT GUARD!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! STOP IT! THE PAIN! THE PAIN!

Seriously, name a point guard in the NBA who has no handles with his weak hand? Name an NBA point guard who can't split screens? Name me an NBA point guard who can't change speeds. These are skills an old guy like Andre Miller uses, despite being WAY less athletic than LaVine. NO NBA PG has all 3 faults in their game. Even worse, if you look at LaVine's workout footage, he's done nothing to improve his left hand. The footage I've seen, he's the only guy on the court and he still only dribbles once, or twice with his left. If he was trying to get drafted as a PG, wouldn't he fake it when he's 1 on zero?

Seriously, I have got to be getting trolled.

Comment

• The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Chad Ford's 7.0

Adreian PayneToronto Raptors (48 - 34)COLLEGE: Michigan StateHT: 6-10WT: 239POS: PF
                  Payne would be a great get for the Raptors if he's still on the board. He could go as high as No. 13 to the Wolves, but I doubt he slips past the Raptors. With Patrick Patterson a free agent and Tyler Hansbrough unlikely to have his option picked up, the Raptors are left with only Amir Johnson. Payne's ability to stretch the floor and play inside are a great fit in Toronto.

PLAYER CARD

I agree. KLow/Vasquez are the priorities in the off season. Hopefully his there and would be a cheaper/younger version than 2Pat. Maybe also starter potential down the road.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...7&refresh=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue Jun 10, 2014, 03:13 PM.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Watch that video again, and spare me the drama, please.

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT? HE HAS NO LEFT HAND! HE CAN'T SPLIT SCREENS! HE PLAYS AT 1 SPEED!

There are tons of SGs with solid passing skills. Guys like DeMar, and Beale for instance. If you can't run plays to half of the court, because you can't dribble with that hand, you can't penetrate because all they have to do is show on screens (because there's no threat of you splitting the screen). YOU CANNOT PLAY POINT GUARD!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! STOP IT! THE PAIN! THE PAIN!

Seriously, name a point guard in the NBA who has no handles with his weak hand? Name an NBA point guard who can't split screens? Name me an NBA point guard who can't change speeds. These are skills an old guy like Andre Miller uses, despite being WAY less athletic than LaVine. NO NBA PG has all 3 faults in their game. Even worse, if you look at LaVine's workout footage, he's done nothing to improve his left hand. The footage I've seen, he's the only guy on the court and he still only dribbles once, or twice with his left. If he was trying to get drafted as a PG, wouldn't he fake it when he's 1 on zero?

Seriously, I have got to be getting trolled.

Comment

• Hey Blackjitsu, you didn't even watch the video properly.

When it said he has a lack of left hand it was referring to his finishing ability not his dribbling. In fact you could see several times during the video that he was blowing by his defender with the left-handed dribble as well as the right.

Most of LaVine's problems judging from that video have to do with fundamentals and are all things that can be coached. Finishing with the left hand can be improved upon. You think Casey wouldn't get a guy with LaVine's athleticism in a proper defensive stance?

- He has an explosive first step and the ability to get into the paint at will
                      - He can handle the basketball effectively and use left-right moves to set up his man for the drive or pull-up
                      - He can pass the ball well. Not elite with his court-vision but able to drive and dish (not every PG is in the mold of a CP3, this is exactly the type of stuff that Parker does for San Antonio, it's not like he throws bullet passes from all over using his court vision)
                      - He has the physical tools to be a shutdown defender at the PG position

His finishing skills should improve with increased strength, and what he needs to do now is work on his in-between game (mid-range shot, floaters, etc) so he can still be effective offensively when he gets all the way to the rim.

By no means is LaVine supposed to be a Tyler Ennis type of PG prospect. He's a project, but if you can maximize his potential, this guy is going to be MILES better than any other guard in this draft. Yes it's more of a risky pick, because if he isn't coachable and can't learn to be more effective as a PG at the NBA level, there's a chance he could bust; but I'd rather take him than a safe guy. I'm not really interested in just adding role players.

Comment

• The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Lavine is SG in the Jamal Ceawford mild.

http://search.draftexpress.com/artic...Analysis-4600/
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Lavine is SG in the Jamal Ceawford mild.

http://search.draftexpress.com/artic...Analysis-4600/
                          Yeah, pretty much...except Crawford had much better PG skills coming into the league. Excellent ballhandler and decent passer. LaVine is average to below average in those areas.

Also that video is one game against a bad defensive team.

I just think his best-case is a scoring SG off the bench much like Crawford, especially when you consider how raw/lazy/stupid he still is offensively and how he doesn't try at all on D.

Comment

• The Toronto Raptors continue preparations for the 2014 NBA Draft by holding two pre-draft workouts June 11-12. The team has also scheduled additional workouts June 17 and 19.

The pre-draft workouts will be held on the Raptors’ practice court at Air Canada Centre and closed for public viewing. Media will have an opportunity for photos, video footage and player interviews following each session. A member of the Raptors Basketball Operations staff will also be available for comments.

A full list of participating players will be released in the morning prior to each workout. Players and workout times are subject to change. Please call the Raptors media information line (416) 815-6111 for the latest information.

Toronto earned the 20th overall pick in this year’s draft after finishing the 2013-14 campaign with a team-record 48 wins. The Raptors also have the 37th and 59th picks in the second round. The 2014 NBA Draft will be held June 26 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The first round will be shown live on TSN2 and NBA TV Canada beginning at 7 p.m. NBA TV Canada will continue with coverage of the second round.

_____

Interesting, does additional workouts means they weren't impressed with the players? Or may be the opposite.
                            Myself (March 2014):
                            The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                              Interesting, does additional workouts means they weren't impressed with the players? Or may be the opposite.
                              Depends on who's invited. Bringing back a player for a second workout generally means they're interested and want to see more.

Comment

Hey Blackjitsu, you didn't even watch the video properly.

When it said he has a lack of left hand it was referring to his finishing ability not his dribbling. In fact you could see several times during the video that he was blowing by his defender with the left-handed dribble as well as the right.

Most of LaVine's problems judging from that video have to do with fundamentals and are all things that can be coached. Finishing with the left hand can be improved upon. You think Casey wouldn't get a guy with LaVine's athleticism in a proper defensive stance?

- He has an explosive first step and the ability to get into the paint at will
                                - He can handle the basketball effectively and use left-right moves to set up his man for the drive or pull-up
                                - He can pass the ball well. Not elite with his court-vision but able to drive and dish (not every PG is in the mold of a CP3, this is exactly the type of stuff that Parker does for San Antonio, it's not like he throws bullet passes from all over using his court vision)
                                - He has the physical tools to be a shutdown defender at the PG position

His finishing skills should improve with increased strength, and what he needs to do now is work on his in-between game (mid-range shot, floaters, etc) so he can still be effective offensively when he gets all the way to the rim.

By no means is LaVine supposed to be a Tyler Ennis type of PG prospect. He's a project, but if you can maximize his potential, this guy is going to be MILES better than any other guard in this draft. Yes it's more of a risky pick, because if he isn't coachable and can't learn to be more effective as a PG at the NBA level, there's a chance he could bust; but I'd rather take him than a safe guy. I'm not really interested in just adding role players.
                                By definition explosion insinuates a change in speed. LaVine is fast. But it's one speed. There's no change. You're confusing getting by a mediocre defender with explosion. There's a big difference.

No. No he can't use his left hand. Even the Draft Express guy states clearly that he has no left hand handles. I went through the video and found only one moment when he dribbled the ball more than twice with his left hand on a drive. Against professionals, you will get locked down if you're that predictable. Again, go look at his workout footage, against zero people he refuses to showcase his left hand in drills.

You have to be able to split screens in the modern NBA if you want to play point guard. I don't understand what you guys are missing here. You can't use screens the same way every time -- that's too predictable.

Passing on its own does not make you a point guard. You have to run plays. If you can only run plays to one half of the court everything becomes predictable.

This whole physical tools thing -- height, or athleticism are not physical prerequisites to being an NBA point guard. You know what is? Being able to dribble the ball with both hands. Being explosive (being able to suddenly change speeds and create space), not fast, explosive. Having intelligence - like not going to a school with an excess of players at your alleged position if you want to showcase your skills...Those are the requirements.

I'm not saying he's not talented. I'm not saying that a smile wouldn't be on my face if the Raps picked him.

Comment

Working...
                                X