The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Yeah but after top six a lot of pick are bunched together on the same team. Parker could go or stay and he will be fine but late lottery should stay if they can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Why go back to school? Yeah, you may go higher, but you could also get injured or have more of your warts exposed.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
      I really hope we can get Stauskas.

He has a lightning quick release, great shot and has driving and passing capabilities.

He could take all of Novak's minutes and eat some of Salmons' as well.
      Will Salmons be back next year? I don't think he will.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        Will Salmons be back next year? I don't think he will.
        Perfect, he can get his old minutes.
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          If you're a surefire lottery pick, going back for another year is a bad financial decision 90% of the time. Even for a guy like Stauskus, more bad than good will probably happen.
          I agree. There have been a few players who have decided to stick around for 4 years and dropped from a lotto to a late first. That is a difference in like 4 million dollars, the smart thing to do is to declare and get paid, and if you really want a degree then make money and go to school later.

The NBA needs to get rid of the mandatory 1 year in college and go back to no age restrictions.

Comment

• Canadian kids seem better for free agency than draft. Let Wiggins Stuaskas Ennis play in Chicago, Phil and LA. then try to pick them up in four years as free agents. Grabbing Wiggins in five year with a max deal seems better than try to tank, trade up. More likely than Durant.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              I agree. There have been a few players who have decided to stick around for 4 years and dropped from a lotto to a late first. That is a difference in like 4 million dollars, the smart thing to do is to declare and get paid, and if you really want a degree then make money and go to school later.

The NBA needs to get rid of the mandatory 1 year in college and go back to no age restrictions.
              Yup. Patric Young is a perfect example. James McAdoo is another one.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                Yup. Patric Young is a perfect example. James McAdoo is another one.
                Great examples, especially since both guys will basically be lucky to be drafted at all, so they fell a lot farther than just going from early to late 1st round.

Patric Young is early 2nd round at best it seems.

McAdoo as well. Guy was a lock for as a mid-first round pick a couple of years ago. Now who knows if he gets picked?

Comment

• Re: Kyle Anderson

One of his major flaws is his lack of footspeed required to guard NBA guards right?

Well why couldn't he play with two smaller combo guards/SGs and defend the 3? Is he too slow for that too?

His shooting percentages are unreal, and I feel like SGs with PG size are a dime a dozen in the NCAA. Why don't we draft a shabazz napier, a selfish PG, and let Anderson do his thing while guarding the three?

All legitimate questions, not rhetorical lol
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Is Anderson's lack of footspeed worse than Vasquez?

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                      Re: Kyle Anderson

One of his major flaws is his lack of footspeed required to guard NBA guards right?

Well why couldn't he play with two smaller combo guards/SGs and defend the 3? Is he too slow for that too?

His shooting percentages are unreal, and I feel like SGs with PG size are a dime a dozen in the NCAA. Why don't we draft a shabazz napier, a selfish PG, and let Anderson do his thing while guarding the three?

The people in love with Anderson keep saying he is a Point Guard and therefor think he is limited to guarding that position defensively and offensively being put beside a SG and another SF

He is a 3 who likes to handle the ball and run the offense. He will guard 3's and be defended by 3's. He will be on the floor as a 3 and play with a point guard who brings the ball up, than will give him the ball on the wing and let him create.

I really like him as well. He is not in the greatest physical shape. If he stays the same weight but adds some legs strength I don't doubt he can achieve average footspeed. He already gets around people with skill so as he changes his body he should in theory become very good.

I would personally draft LaVine over Anderson though....

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                        Re: Kyle Anderson

Physically way too slight to guard SFs. He'd be posted up every play.

So the Raps should rebuild their whole bench to draft a backup PG? Why? Anderson is good, but if you need to rework your team for a rookie bench player to succeed your team has problems.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post

So the Raps should rebuild their whole bench to draft a backup PG? Why? Anderson is good, but if you need to rework your team for a rookie bench player to succeed your team has problems.
                          Well De Colo could work as that combo guard too. My main question was if he's such a unique talent, why miss out on him because he doesn't fit a specific mold of player.

But the "slightness" issue is a problem. If he can't guard ANYONE, then he's not too useful.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

He's not a PG. He's a point forward. I don't think he's too slight to guard SFs. Maybe some of the bigger ones....but how many big SFs are there to guard the likes of LeBron or Melo?

He will add some weight with age, hopefully good weight. I think in the current Raptors organization, it's a good environment for his development.

He just has an obviously great feel for the game and you don't find many passers like him at his size.

I don't think any reworking has to be done. Let Salmons go. Keep the core exactly the same as now if you want (JV, Amir, 2Pat, Greivis, Ross, DeMar, Lowry as top 7)....Anderson fits in very nicely off the bench behind those guys. Alleviates pressure off the bench as a guy who can be a 2nd playmaker on the floor. And has the potential to play small-ball PF as well, giving some versatility to options.

I mean, say he subs in for DeMar, and mainly is in a unit with Greivis and 2Pat....Like Amir/Val, 2Pat, Anderson, Ross and Vasquez. That's a unit with 2 initiators, big men who can do different things, at least 2 spot up shooters (Vasquez counts as a 3rd when Anderson handles it). Defensively, it can't possibly be any worse than having Salmons and Vasquez on the floor together (how's Salmons perimeter and postup D been recently? Oh right, complete shite).

I don't see any real fit issues with drafting Anderson. Adjustment period? For sure. The need to improve physically? No doubt. But skill-wise, think he's a very nice fit. Could easily be a 6th man in waiting, and can be the type of versatile player that makes it very difficult to gameplan against because of different looks we can throw at a team.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              He's not a PG. He's a point forward. I don't think he's too slight to guard SFs. Maybe some of the bigger ones....but how many big SFs are there to guard the likes of LeBron or Melo?

He will add some weight with age, hopefully good weight. I think in the current Raptors organization, it's a good environment for his development.

He just has an obviously great feel for the game and you don't find many passers like him at his size.

I don't think any reworking has to be done. Let Salmons go. Keep the core exactly the same as now if you want (JV, Amir, 2Pat, Greivis, Ross, DeMar, Lowry as top 7)....Anderson fits in very nicely off the bench behind those guys. Alleviates pressure off the bench as a guy who can be a 2nd playmaker on the floor. And has the potential to play small-ball PF as well, giving some versatility to options.

I mean, say he subs in for DeMar, and mainly is in a unit with Greivis and 2Pat....Like Amir/Val, 2Pat, Anderson, Ross and Vasquez. That's a unit with 2 initiators, big men who can do different things, at least 2 spot up shooters (Vasquez counts as a 3rd when Anderson handles it). Defensively, it can't possibly be any worse than having Salmons and Vasquez on the floor together (how's Salmons perimeter and postup D been recently? Oh right, complete shite).

I don't see any real fit issues with drafting Anderson. Adjustment period? For sure. The need to improve physically? No doubt. But skill-wise, think he's a very nice fit. Could easily be a 6th man in waiting, and can be the type of versatile player that makes it very difficult to gameplan against because of different looks we can throw at a team.
                              Wait, you've seen him play SF? Last I checked he has NEVER played a minute of SF in his LIFE. He's a PG. THAT'S the only position he has ever played. It's the way he sees the game. Read the scouting reports yourself, he has some serious disadvantageous against SFs. His lack of athleticism will get him tore up. His advantages are tied to matching up against smaller players at his position, and compensating with his length on defense. Why would you take his best advantage from him? I don't get that mentality.

Players can't just change position at will. That's why drafting uber-athlete Joey G and assuming he could convert positions (from PF to SF) was a bad idea. Only special players can convert positions and Anderson is solid, not special. Otherwise, he would be in the lottery.

Comment

Wait, you've seen him play SF? Last I checked he has NEVER played a minute of SF in his LIFE. He's a PG. THAT'S the only position he has ever played. It's the way he sees the game. Read the scouting reports yourself, he has some serious disadvantageous against SFs. His lack of athleticism will get him tore up. His advantages are tied to matching up against smaller players at his position, and compensating with his length on defense. Why would you take his best advantage from him? I don't get that mentality.

Players can't just change position at will. That's why drafting uber-athlete Joey G and assuming he could convert positions (from PF to SF) was a bad idea. Only special players can convert positions and Anderson is solid, not special. Otherwise, he would be in the lottery.
                                I have seen him play SF. In fact he has during this very tournament that's wrapping up tonight. He frequently matches up against another team's wing player, and frequently has 2 smaller guards on the floor with him for UCLA. He's even listed as a G/F or SF pretty much everywhere. He does not always take the ball up the floor, and he ends up guarding wings a fair amount. He runs the O for them in the half court most of the time...they also don't have a capable PG in the backcourt, as the coach starts his crappy son, and brings LaVine (not a PG right now) off the bench.

His length is a factor at SF too. Not many college teams have 6'8'' SFs. Not many have Cs taller than that.

He wouldn't be changing positions. Converting him is a bad idea...which would be playing him at PG. He's a point-forward. Much like Atlanta failed miserably when trying to play Diaw at PG when they drafted him, because they thought "oh this big guy is naturally a passing player, therefore he must be a PG", instead of just playing him at his natural physical position of forward. He thrived in PHX as they immediately used him as a combo forward with responsibilities to create for others. Anderson actually has a lot of things in common with Diaw, from size to skill set.

Comment

Working...
                                X