The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stooley wrote: View Post
    he's agile for a C. I don't think there's any chance in hell he's guarding the JJs or Lebrons of the world.
    The scouting report I watched from draftexpress had him running the floor like an SF. I'd say JJ abused us in the post during the playoffs, and that someone with Stokes' size could have forced him to beat us on the perimeter. As per Lebron... no one can defend Lebron.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
      The scouting report I watched from draftexpress had him running the floor like an SF. I'd say JJ abused us in the post during the playoffs, and that someone with Stokes' size could have forced him to beat us on the perimeter. As per Lebron... no one can defend Lebron.
      well why didn't we just put Amir of PPat or Hansbrough on JJ.

man, it's really not an option, it's kind of a silly conversation.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• My big board is now (Payton will be drafted before that)

1-Ennis
        2-Stokes
        3-Young -> McDaniels
        4-Payne
        5-Grant
        Myself (March 2014):
        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
          Hedo Turkoglu would be a pretty good #20 pick. Just don't give him a $10M contract.
          Note the use of the word "ceiling." Floor is first year burn out. And frankly I see a lot more floor than ceiling in him.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I don't see the excitement over Stokes. To me, he fits alongside Payne as guys who eventually dominated in college due to a superior physical profile, an advantage he won't necessarily have in the NBA. And actually, I'd rather have Payne, who's game is at least somewhat suited to the current state of the NBA (even if Stokes performed better than Payne in workouts). Stokes has no midrange game, so he's nothing but a paint-clogger on offense, which means you need to pair him with another big who has a midrange game, but then he's more likely to be on the court with a PF, and is essentially acting as a slightly undersized C.

PFs who don't have the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter worry me, and he doesn't seem to have the athleticism to be a real rim-protector. He can probably hold his own in post-up defense at the NBA level, but I don't see that as a super-useful skillset.

I look at the Raptors three years out, and I can't see where he fits. Doesn't make sense as a starter alongside JV, unless he develops an above-average midrange game. Doesn't do enough things well to be a useful bench roleplayer. He'd struggle against stretch 4s, against small-ball lineups.

Yeah, he's a great rebounder, and yes, that's a skill that typically translates well from NCAA to NBA. The standard approach for opposing PFs is going to be to try to draw him away from the hoop, which will probably bring down his rebounding numbers, but he still should be able to box out his guy. So maybe he's our second unit combo big-man, but I don't see skills that we can't find on the bargain FA market every year.

At #20, I want a guy I can project to be a starter in a few years, if everything goes right. Or else a really useful bench skillset that is hard to find amongst free agents (Like 3 & D wingers). Or that fills a serious need on the team. Or is simply the BPA. I can't put Stokes into any of those categories.

Comment

well why didn't we just put Amir of PPat or Hansbrough on JJ.

man, it's really not an option, it's kind of a silly conversation.
              First of all, Amir is lanky not bulky
              Hansbrough is a centre and can barely move on the court,
              and PPat is a solid option on JJ

Second of all, I don't think you acknowledge that being agile is one of Stokes strengths. Instead of calling it silly, give me an actual point as to why its so obviously silly to you. Anyways, I like Ppat when he plays SF and they seem to be very similar types, with Stokes having a larger frame but comparable quickness.

Comment

• My board:

1) Ennis
                2) Payton
                3) McDaniels
                4) Capela
                5) Inglis

Fringe 1st rounders who ideally are there in the second round (all pretty equivalent):
                Stokes
                Adams
                Tavares
                Dinwiddie
                Daniels
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  Stokes (20th pick) for Ed Davis and 23 pick?
                  Sounds good to me!
                  Ed Davis a an RFA most likely a UFA Memphis won't match.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Ed Davis a an RFA most likely a UFA Memphis won't match.
                    d'aww ): Lets throw a minimum at him then? Dude can lift off the court faster than anybody.

Comment

lol, i dont think that's an option man.
                      Stokes at PF and PPat as a SF makes more sense. PPat can guard some of the slower more physical 3 at the perimeter.

Comment

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                        Only time I will root for the Hawks.
                        Well, I can see the overwhelming attitude here is that Kyle Anderson is a bad player.

I will tell you this much, the road to the NBA is littered with undersized PF's, super athletes, and failed bigs. Just littered. The general consensus here seems to be you can take any tough, fast leaper and turn him into an NBA player, yet, nobody here thinks you can take an incredibly gifted guy, who has succeeded at EVERY level against all of these guys he would be playing against in 5 years in the NBA can get stronger or faster. To me its very sad to see that general way of thinking in this forum.

I'm watching highlights like crazy of all these players and you know, they are not bad. But the NBA is full of big guys, it is very, VERY void of players that can think, and who have always made guys around them better. Guys who can use both hands, to both drive, finish and above all, PASS are huge. Guys who play the 1,2,,3 spots, who have 7'3" wing spans, incredible vision, and deceptively tight handles are very hard to find. Kevin Durant saw Anderson as the best player in HS ball coming out, said his speed wasn't an issue when compared to his talent. I kinda agree with him.

You guys might not like this guy, but mark my words, he will be in the NBA longer than you think, and he will likely be a significant player. In an NBA painfully void of actual cerebral talent or fundamental know how, you're looking at a true basketball player, with incredible eyes and a decent outside shot. You cheer for a team that has always needed talent, yet you se it, and scoff at it because it appears "slow" to you. Well I tell ya what, i have played at ahigh level against "slow" guys before, and they are a nightmare.

So i'd ask, if you are gonna pan my pick, fine, but dont brush it off as if I am an idiot, or as if its laughable, MANY pro scouts think thi skid might be a superstar.... they just also know he might be a flop. If im all the way at 20 (he eont be there at 20) thats the gamble I take, not some guy like stokes.....the d-league is full of stokes.... not so much Andersons.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Stokes at PF and PPat as a SF makes more sense. PPat can guard some of the slower more physical 3 at the perimeter.
                          PPat at SF works, and I think his quickness is interchangeable to Stokes. If both were on the court at the same time, I would put PPat at SF and Stokes at PF, but I could also see feasible line ups with Stokes at SF and Amir at PF

Comment

• Will we have PP though? I'm thinking he might get more money no? or is he still on contract?

Comment

• New draft express update has the Raps taking Ennis!

Also Jordan Bachynski at 59. LOL! Dude from Calgary that played 4 years and took a year off before school to take a Mormon missionary thingy! I hope he tried to convert Lowry.
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• oh and one more thing about Anderson.... this is what we are saying about the Spurs:

Comment

Working...
                                X