The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    At this point we're still sitting 2nd in the Atlantic... My main concern is that we'll accidentally win the division, making the playoffs despite having a bottom-5 record in the east.
    Hopefully the Knicks and Nets wake up.

Comment

• Knicks don't have Chandler for another month or so... they may make the playoffs due to the number of crappy teams in the East but it won't be easy. The Nets should wake up. KG/Pierce have too much experience to just fold.

Comment

• I'm a big fan of Micic. I don't think he is going to ever be a good starter but if you can get a late 1st or use an early 2nd round on him, I'd be a fan. Teams need backups and I think he'd excel as backup PG - and who knows what else down the road. I love big PGs too and he is 6'5". Also no buy out issue like many foreign players.

Seven games into the season, 19-year old Serbian Vasilije Micic has already established himself as one of the best point guards in the highly competitive Adriatic League.

Playing 31 minutes per game for one of the youngest squads in European basketball history--10 of the 13 players on their roster were born in 1993 or later--Micic has helped his team stay surprisingly competitive, winning three of their last four games, dishing out 36 assists in that span.

This shouldn't come as a huge surprise, as he's already one of the most experienced players in his generation, having represented Serbia at the U16, U18, U19 and even the senior national level team as a member of their Eurobasket squad this summer.

Micic already started seeing serious minutes at the senior level as a 17-year old in the Serbian League in 2011-2012. He tore his ACL early on in the season, which forced him to sit out the rest of the year, but came back strong in 2012-2013, helping his Mega Vizura squad surprisingly earn a spot in the Adriatic League by finishing in third place in the Serbian league.

Micic had an outstanding summer, leading Serbia to a second place finish at the U19 World Championship (highlights), where he more than held his own against Marcus Smart and USA Basketball, and then earned a place on the senior national team. Serbia finished in seventh place, good enough to qualify for the 2014 World Championship in Spain, with Micic seeing solid playing time as the team's backup point guard.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...for-Mega--4372
        Check the stats at 3:06-3:12 for those dying for a PG capable of running a PnR.

For the but, but, but he is a Euro crowd, NCAA RULZ!, here are his stats vs USA this summer U19 (i.e. versus Smart):

Game 1 vs USA
        36 mins
        24 Points on 3/6 FG, 3/5 3PT, 9/12 FT
        2 reb
        3 ast
        6 TO
        1 STL

Game 2 vs USA
        31 mins
        13 points
        2/2 FG, 1/2 3pt, 6/6 FT
        0 rebs
        10 ast
        4 to
        1 STL

Smart's numbers in match up:

Game 1vs SRB
        9 mins
        2 points on 1/3 FG
        1 reb
        0 ast
        5 FOULS
        1 TO

Game 2 vs SRB
        23 minutes
        11 points on 5/7 , 0/2 3pt, 1/6 FT
        3 reb
        3 ast
        2 STL
        2 TO

Comment

• Jabari bringing it again tonight for DUKE!

Comment

• All the "he's not athletic enough!" comments sure stopped quick
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Jabari bringing it again tonight for DUKE!
              Jabari Parker is amazing. He's so smooth. The guy can do it all.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                All the "he's not athletic enough!" comments sure stopped quick
                It's not that he's not athletic enough. It's just that he's being compared to Wiggins, who's really special as an athlete.

Comment

• SI Prospect Watch

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...ker/?eref=sihp
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Chad Ford did a poll of NBA execs/lead scouts (at least one for each team) as to who they'd pick #1:

Wiggins 17, Randle 10, Parker 9, Exum 3.

There really isn't a consensus #1 yet. Money quotes:

Wiggins: "I think he can be a player that plays a lot like Paul George does," one veteran NBA executive told ESPN.com. "He's so smooth that at times it almost looks like he's coasting. But when you watch closer, you just see the game comes so easy to him. With his length and explosiveness, he's going to be able to do whatever he wants once he gets it. And from everything we can gather in looking into his background, he's going to get it. I'm not sure how we could pass on him if we had the No. 1 pick. The other guys might be more ready right now, but in three years, I think he's the best player in this class."

Randle: "I think he's the surest thing in the draft," one GM said. "There's nothing he can't do and there just aren't that many bigs in the NBA with that set of skills. He's going to be a 10-time All-Star and will make a major impact on your team in Year 1. Wiggins might have a little more upside and [Parker] is so attractive as well, but if you take someone else, you're really risking your job."

Parker: "I absolutely love him," a different NBA GM said. "I love guys who just know how to play. Very few players at Jabari's age are so sophisticated about the game. You see how he's reading the floor and how he's thinking the game and you can't help but get excited. I remember when some guys were wringing their hands about Kevin Durant. Does he play defense? Is he an elite athlete? I just saw a killer out there who would do anything to win. I see that in Jabari. Some will worship Wiggins' athleticism. Some will pray to the altar of 'big' with Randle. But Parker's my guy and I don't see that changing."

Exum: "I know everyone is so excited to see Jabari and those guys dominate," a fourth GM told ESPN. "I know the old guard is going to play it safe. But maybe I'm young and foolish, but I think Exum ends up being the guy everyone wishes they took in a few years. All of them are going to be great, but when you watch Exum, you see the ability to be a generational talent. My owner might kill me, but I think you take Exum, regardless of what the other guys do this year. Exum's already proved it to me."

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                      Chad Ford did a poll of NBA execs/lead scouts (at least one for each team) as to who they'd pick #1:

Wiggins: "I think he can be a player that plays a lot like Paul George does," one veteran NBA executive told ESPN.com. "He's so smooth that at times it almost looks like he's coasting. But when you watch closer, you just see the game comes so easy to him. With his length and explosiveness, he's going to be able to do whatever he wants once he gets it. And from everything we can gather in looking into his background, he's going to get it. I'm not sure how we could pass on him if we had the No. 1 pick. The other guys might be more ready right now, but in three years, I think he's the best player in this class."

Randle: "I think he's the surest thing in the draft," one GM said. "There's nothing he can't do and there just aren't that many bigs in the NBA with that set of skills. He's going to be a 10-time All-Star and will make a major impact on your team in Year 1. Wiggins might have a little more upside and [Parker] is so attractive as well, but if you take someone else, you're really risking your job."

Parker: "I absolutely love him," a different NBA GM said. "I love guys who just know how to play. Very few players at Jabari's age are so sophisticated about the game. You see how he's reading the floor and how he's thinking the game and you can't help but get excited. I remember when some guys were wringing their hands about Kevin Durant. Does he play defense? Is he an elite athlete? I just saw a killer out there who would do anything to win. I see that in Jabari. Some will worship Wiggins' athleticism. Some will pray to the altar of 'big' with Randle. But Parker's my guy and I don't see that changing."

Exum: "I know everyone is so excited to see Jabari and those guys dominate," a fourth GM told ESPN. "I know the old guard is going to play it safe. But maybe I'm young and foolish, but I think Exum ends up being the guy everyone wishes they took in a few years. All of them are going to be great, but when you watch Exum, you see the ability to be a generational talent. My owner might kill me, but I think you take Exum, regardless of what the other guys do this year. Exum's already proved it to me."
                      I tend to share the opinion on Wiggins. Randle and Parker may be safer picks, but if Wiggins develops his game as hoped, which there doesn't seem to be a reason not to expect, his physical gifts just so obviously outshine the other guys. I mean, just seeing how smooth and long his strides were made me drool a bit. Physically things just come so easily to him, and he obviously has the talent to go with those gifts. I would not be able to pass on Wiggins if I had the #1 pick. The tougher choice for me would be the #2 pick, because to me Randle and Parker are basically at the same level at different positions. Also while I see the George comparison, think Wiggins has more potential, especially as a go-to scorer.

The snippet on Exum is interesting. Lots of hype around a guy who's played very little basketball that compares to the level of the other guys. I still don't have a very strong opinion on him. I like the Penny comparisons, and I wouldn't take Penny over any of the other 3 guys at the top of this draft. So to me he's still just outside that top 3 bubble. But really, I haven't seen him enough.
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Nov 19, 2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                        Chad Ford did a poll of NBA execs/lead scouts (at least one for each team) as to who they'd pick #1:

What a difference a year makes. 2013 - nobody is worth the #1 pick. 2014 - 4 guys and counting are considered #1 guys

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          What a difference a year makes. 2013 - nobody is worth the #1 pick. 2014 - 4 guys and counting are considered #1 guys
                          Wonder where the experts would place Anthony Davis on the big board if he was in the 2014 draft instead (using only his one year at Kentucky to assess).

Comment

• watch Wiggins end up like Kabongo...... but ya thats definitely not gonna happen after his showings.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Wonder where the experts would place Anthony Davis on the big board if he was in the 2014 draft instead (using only his one year at Kentucky to assess).
                              My guess is he'd be somewhere in the Aaron Gordon range. Possibly losing out to Gordon though.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Brain exploding

Comment

Working...
                                X