The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee wrote: View Post
    I don't know if anyone posted this but this is a list of the past 20th picks since 2000. Helps give an idea of how good a player you can get. Historically the pick seems to be mostly role players and decent bench players. Help temper some expectations. I'll do this for the other picks too!

2013 Tony Snell
    2012 Evan Fournier
    2011 Donatas Motiejunas
    2010 James Anderson
    2009 Eric Maynor
    2008 Alexis Ajinca
    2007 Jason Smith
    2006 Renaldo Balkman
    2005 Julius Hodge
    2004 Jameer Nelson
    2003 Dahntay Jones
    2002 Kareem Rush
    2001 Zach Randolph

Other notable is Zydrunas Ilgauskas in '96.
    2006 Rajon Rondo 21st pick. Kyle Lowry 24th
    2007 Arron Afflalo 27th
    2008 Ryan Anderson 21, Courtney Lee 22, Kosta Koufos 23, Serge Ibaka 24, Nicolas Batum 25, George Hill 26, Goran Dragic 45.
    2009 Taj Gibson 26, Demarre Carroll 27th
    2010 Greivis Vasquez 28, Lance Stephenson 40.
    2011 Kenneth Faried 22, Reggie Jackson 24, Norris Cole 28, Jimmy Butler 30, Chandler Parsons 38
    2012 Jared Sullinger 21, Miles Plumlee 26
    2013 Tim Hardaway Jr. 24

Tony Allen 25th pick back in 2004.

Hopefully we get lucky.
    Last edited by MixxAOR; Wed May 28, 2014, 01:41 PM.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      All the more reason to trade up or out of the draft. We have enough serviceable back up's. That is, if we are planning to build on last season and not go down the rebuild path again.
      I strongly disagree. The Raps lack a real backup 5, and also lack a backup 3 that can defend the position and is an offensive threat.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        2007 Arron Afflalo 27th
        2008 Ryan Anderson 21, Courtney Lee 22, Kosta Koufos 23, Serge Ibaka 24, Nicolas Batum 25, George Hill 26, Goran Dragic 45.
        2011 Kenneth Faried 22, Reggie Jackson 24, Norris Cole 28, Jimmy Butler 30, Chandler Parsons 38
        2013 Tim Hardaway Jr. 24

Hopefully we get lucky.
        Don't forget Tony Parker, 28th pick back in 2001. Best PG in the game right now, future hall of famer. Gilbert Arenas was in that 2001 class as well, 30th pick overall by the Warriors. Had a great career in WSH.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Chad Ford's Chat

Chad (FlORiDa)

Difference between Beast 4's, Stokes and Randle? Exact same body & stats. One's a Top 10 pick and one is a fringe 1st rounder.
          Chad Ford (1:56 PM)

The analytics guys love Stokes. Don't worry. He's got a great shot at going in the first round. I don't think he's as talented as Randle, but you're right that it's closer than the Big Board shows.
          This is an interesting question. Ive always wondered why Randle got so much praise for putting up the same #'s ass Stokes. Int the exact same conference. Don't say age cause their both the same age.

Stokes
          NBA Draft Combine 6' 7" 6' 8.5"(w/shoes) 263 7' 1.25" 8' 7.5" 8.2(Body Fat %) 31.0 36.0

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz332L4W3aw
          http://www.draftexpress.com

35 32.6 15.0PTS 53.5FG 0.0 3FG 68.5FT 10.5REBS 2.0AST 0.7STL 0.9BLK 2.2TO

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz332MXWF7L
          Randle
          2014 NBA Draft Combine 6' 7.75" 6' 9"(w/shoes) 250 7' 0" 8' 9.5" 9.4(body Fat %) 29.0 35.5

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz332LQzOIl

40 30.8 15.0PTS 50.0FG 16.7 3FG 70.6FT 10.4REBS 1.4AST 0.5STL 0.8BLK 2.5TO

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz332M810Hw

Other Raptor related QS
          Donnie Dark (Columbus, Ohio)

How high could Shabazz play himself into the 1st? I feel like he's a natural baller a la Mike Bibby and can defend pg's. Any chance he creeps into to 20?
          Chad Ford (1:58 PM)

Yes. I could see him as high as the Bulls at 19 or Toronto at 20. Both could use a back-up point guard and both want someone who helps them right away. So much to love about Napier's ability to play the game. Teams just wish he was bigger. His lack of size is a major obstacle for him.
          What are the chances that Elfrid Payton develops into a Rondo/Wall hybrid and is the best PG taken in this draft down the road?
          Chad Ford (1:49 PM)

Well ... that's certainly a best case scenario. I love Payton and think he's the sleeper of the draft -- something I've been saying for months. The guy he reminds me the most of is a young Gary Payton. Same game, same body and similar toughness on the court. But that's obviously a ceiling for him. But if he had played at Kentucky or Duke? He'd be a lock for the Top 10. After Exum and Smart are gone, he'll battle Tyler Ennis for the next point guard off the board. I think the Kings at No. 8 are probably his ceiling. Hornets at 9, Magic at 12, Hawks at 15, Celtics at 17 are other options. Don't think he slides past Toronto at 20.
          Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed May 28, 2014, 02:53 PM.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
            Lavine shot the ball really well actually, from NBA-3 in the shooting portion of the combine:

60% (3-5) Break Left
            40% (2-5) Break Right
            60% (3-5) Corner Left
            80% (4-5) Corner Right
            40% (2-5) Top
            -------------------
            14-25 Overall.

Damn.
            that's at the very best average for an unguarded player in a non-pressure situation.

wiggins shot 14-16 on corner 3s and he's definitely not known as a shooter.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

2007 Arron Afflalo 27th
              2013 Tim Hardaway Jr. 24

Hopefully we get lucky.
              I know dude. There's tons of examples of shitty picks that turned out to be good players. I'm just trying to show that on average the 20th pick doesn't yield great results and will typically get you a backup or role player type.

*Edit* I was also gonna do a list for the 59th picks but the record was abysmal at best. I got too depressed and had to stop.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                I know dude. There's tons of examples of shitty picks that turned out to be good players. I'm just trying to show that on average the 20th pick doesn't yield great results and will typically get you a backup or role player type.
                the thing is though, we could have our pick of any player ranked 20 or below.

the rest hinges on Masai and on luck.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

stooley wrote: View Post
                  that's at the very best average for an unguarded player in a non-pressure situation.

wiggins shot 14-16 on corner 3s and he's definitely not known as a shooter.
                  Non-pressure? Whether they hit those shots or not could be the difference between millions of dollars. So while I can appreciate the circumstances he was in weren't game-situations, they certainly were pressure shots.

Comment

2007 Arron Afflalo 27th
                    2013 Tim Hardaway Jr. 24

Hopefully we get lucky.

Nice piece of work there to research who went 20 and later over the last decade. There is talent to be found if you spend enough time looking for it.
                    First thing Ujuri did was to clean house on the scouting staff from the BC era and install his guys. If they are as meticulous as he is we should be able to land a player of value between the two picks at 20 & 37. If they have seen someone they really really want its possible to see them try to move up a few slots from 20 to 17-15 range on draft night. Don't see any of the Top 7 picks for sale even for a ridiculous offer as thats where the premium talent line seems to be this year. Lots of very good players in the mix after that from 8 to 20. Which one(s) we get we will know inside of a month.

Edit - Random poll... At raps draft slot of 20. Do you draft BPA or for need ?
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed May 28, 2014, 03:46 PM.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      Nice piece of work there to research who went 20 and later over the last decade. There is talent to be found if you spend enough time looking for it.
                      First thing Ujuri did was to clean house on the scouting staff from the BC era and install his guys. If they are as meticulous as he is we should be able to land a player of value between the two picks at 20 & 37. If they have seen someone they really really want its possible to see them try to move up a few slots from 20 to 17-15 range on draft night. Don't see any of the Top 7 picks for sale even for a ridiculous offer as thats where the premium talent line seems to be this year. Lots of very good players in the mix after that from 8 to 20. Which one(s) we get we will know inside of a month.

Edit - Random poll... At raps draft slot of 20. Do you draft BPA or for need ?
                      BPA always. Make them fit, develop them in limited minutes (see Corey Joseph on the spurs), or trade them later.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• anybody got a full list of players we working out?

Comment

• what do you guys think? He's projected to go 59 on DraftExpress. SG off the bench?
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Chadrack Lufile? I mean, yeah, he's Canadian, but he was bench for Wichita State.

Oh well, gotta give the Canucks a try, I guess.

Comment

Is Thursday workouts for Team Canada or for the Raps? Good luck for sure. He would be a cool option for summer league or for a camp invite.

Comment

Working...
                                X