The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy and unhappy with the pick.

Feel we could have got him in the second round or at the very least, traded down into later in the first round and picked up some additional assets.

Other than that, there isn't enough information available about the guy to really judge. I'll wait til I see how he is during an NBA game before I think on it (as I don't think the Summer League will say enough beyond whether or not he can play the game).

Granted, we're still laughed at over the last Brazialian we drafted...so that's got to be a good sign right?
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
      Happy and unhappy with the pick.

Feel we could have got him in the second round or at the very least, traded down into later in the first round and picked up some additional assets.

Other than that, there isn't enough information available about the guy to really judge. I'll wait til I see how he is during an NBA game before I think on it (as I don't think the Summer League will say enough beyond whether or not he can play the game).

Granted, we're still laughed at over the last Brazialian we drafted...so that's got to be a good sign right?
      Rumours that Utah and PHX were going to pick him with their picks after ours. Also speculated that SAS was possibly interested. But yeah, Utah would've taken him at 23, so it was draft him or not at all.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Rumours that Utah and PHX were going to pick him with their picks after ours. Also speculated that SAS was possibly interested. But yeah, Utah would've taken him at 23, so it was draft him or not at all.
        Would've worked out if Ennis slipped to 20, then the raps would've dealt with Grizz and pick him up at 22.

Comment

• keefec wrote: View Post
          Would've worked out if Ennis slipped to 20, then the raps would've dealt with Grizz and pick him up at 22.
          Yup. I mean, if the Raps had got Ennis and Caboclo, we'd all be talking about how genius it was. Taking a somewhat safe but also high ceiling PG and a total swing for the fences...but we could only get the latter in the end.

Comment

• I like the pick.

I especially like it since he's coming over for Summer League, and working out with Amir/Ross/Derozan already, and going to be on the Raps next season.

Will re-evaluate afterwards! Now off to see what trades/deals are signed

Comment

• I like the idea, just not the execution. Masai said he basically had two guys he liked and missed out on one (Ennis) so he didn't want to lose Bruno by 37.

It just feels like a haphazard pick with not much in the way of planning or contingencies. Sort of like this whole year, especially if Lowry walks.

I hope Bruno is amazing, though; now that he's a Raptor he has my full support. Just wish we could have found a way to take him later and max out the value of that first pick.

Comment

• For the record, the last Brazilian the Raps drafted played in the NCAA, some journalist pimped him in an OP ED, and the GM trusted a journalist instead of his own brain. This is a completely different scenario.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Yup. I mean, if the Raps had got Ennis and Caboclo, we'd all be talking about how genius it was. Taking a somewhat safe but also high ceiling PG and a total swing for the fences...but we could only get the latter in the end.
                  Don't give up on Ennis yet though, I feel that Raptors still have a strong chance of landing him, especially if Lowry walks.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    I like the idea, just not the execution. Masai said he basically had two guys he liked and missed out on one (Ennis) so he didn't want to lose Bruno by 37.

It just feels like a haphazard pick with not much in the way of planning or contingencies. Sort of like this whole year, especially if Lowry walks.

I hope Bruno is amazing, though; now that he's a Raptor he has my full support. Just wish we could have found a way to take him later and max out the value of that first pick.
                    He had more, if Gary Harris was available the Memphis trade would've still been triggered. The rest of the players that were available just didn't have enough upsides and the Raptors are basically a team filled with role players already, we don't need more.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      For the record, the last Brazilian the Raps drafted played in the NCAA, some journalist pimped him in an OP ED, and the GM trusted a journalist instead of his own brain. This is a completely different scenario.
                      This is a good point. There is no doubt an international bias when it come to American writers. I remember everybody slamming Jorge Garbajosa ever before he laced up his shoes over here. He was slow, and didn't have NBA skills. Shows what they know.

The trend is, if they don't know the name then they discredit the pick while repeating something someone else said that they probably found via Google...

Comment

• I trust Masai.

It's a 20th pick, I don't care of it's a loaded draft or not, by then, the pics are crapshoots. You can get lucky, you can not get lucky.

It's a swing for the fences, but I for one am very excited to see what he can bring on Summer League and also next season.

Keep in mine, 18 years old, at 6'9. He could very well be near 7-feet when done growing, with being able to move and shoot fluidly, that's something you can't teach.

He's got the physical tools, everything else can be taught. He's young, he's raw, but he's a clean sheet. He can be taught, and he can be trained, I'm happy with that.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          I like the idea, just not the execution. Masai said he basically had two guys he liked and missed out on one (Ennis) so he didn't want to lose Bruno by 37.

^Raps plan was to take Caboclo with the 22nd pick (Mem deal), so why do you think taking him at 20 is a haphazard panic move by Ujiri??

His only options at that point would be to
                          1) take Caboclo with #20

or

2) work out a trade with PHX for Ennis including the #20 and try and get Caboclo with the #22. I assume this was tried and when PHX turned him down and there was only a minute on the clock, he had to revert to option 1.

I wonder what we offered for Ennis...

Comment

• Here's Masai.

Comment

• Looks like Daniels won't make the team. I'm glad that it seems like that Bruno will be the only rookie next year. This team is young enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Looks like Daniels won't make the team. I'm glad that it seems like that Bruno will be the only rookie next year. This team is young enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I didn't watch the interview and am about to pass out...did Masai say that? If not, what makes you say that?

Comment

Working...
                                X