The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY TOP PROSPECTS:

Rodney Hood, SF: A three + d in the mold of a Luol Deng. Underrated floor game.
    Zach LaVine, PG/SG: Combo guard with smooth shooting stroke and freakish athleticism.
    Aaron Gordon, SF/PF: Energy wing with elite athleticism, potential defensive stopper. Underrated handles and passing.
    Adriane Payne, PF: Athletic stretch 4, who can rebound and play defense. A longer, more athletic version of 2Pat.
    Jusuf Nurkic, C: A big strong skilled center along the lines of a Pekovic or Vucevic.
    Tyler Ennis, PG: True point guard. Excellent distributor and decision maker. Above average shooter, will only get better. Long arms and quick hands and anticipation help somewhat makeup for his overall lack of footspeed on defense. Reminds me of Mike Bibby.
    Andrew Harrison, PG: Big strong point guard. Good vision.
    Elfrid Payton, PG: Long athletic combo guard. Stat stuffer. A possible Vasquez/De colo replacement.
    PJ Hairston, SG: Extremely strong shooting guard with sweet stroke. 6'9 wingspan and shows a lot of effort on defense. Average athlete. I see a little Ron Artest or PJ Tucker in him.
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      ...uh you do know that Stauskas is athletic right? He has the potential to play both guard spots...
      He is really not that athletic. See Stooley's post with an excerpt from draftexpress...really, he's mediocre by NBA standards.

He definitely cannot play both guard spots. He would get destroyed by the quickness of NBA point guards. He's going to have to bust his ass to improve as much as he can just to defend SGs at all. He can't stay in front of wing players at the college level, and he's physically not very strong (though maybe he fills out a bit more with age). He's also a mediocre rebounder, and despite being the type of guy branded as a high IQ player, it's all mostly on O, as his team D is also not great.

His lack of speed, strength, and explosivness will almost definitely also hurt some of his offensive skills that are non-shooting related as well. He could easily struggle with the length of NBA players inside, and the speed of guys guarding him on the outside. And while he's a good passer, and could probably be utilized in the p'n'r, he'll probably struggle in other situations if his man can guard him pretty much straight up, leaving less passing opportunities.

Again, I'm very skeptical. Especially in terms of him having an immediate impact...**As anything more than a shooter. Could have trouble seeing the floor in a fair amount of situations if he can't play D at all.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Mar 28, 2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
        All Im saying is if VASQUEZ can play 20-25 min a night with his athleticism, Nik can certainly do it as well
        Though Vasquez had much more polished PG skills compared to Stauskas, who's very much a wing player and his primary skill is shooting.

It's tough to get a read on players like Stauskas. He was, after all, a 2nd rd prospect who worked his way up the draft board.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Though Vasquez had much more polished PG skills compared to Stauskas, who's very much a wing player and his primary skill is shooting.

It's tough to get a read on players like Stauskas. He was, after all, a 2nd rd prospect who worked his way up the draft board.
          If he's really that bad at defense to the extent that we have to hide him on D then I would not want to draft him

Comment

If he's really that bad at defense to the extent that we have to hide him on D then I would not want to draft him
            He frequently would get blown by or bullied in college....where guys are shorter, slower and weaker than in the NBA. So I'd say it's definitely the biggest concern, and not one that can be brushed aside.

He'll need to get drafted into the right situation, like Redick. SVG busted Redick's ass to get him to improve his quickness and work basically on nothing but D. Redick was not part of their regular rotation at all for his first couple of years, and not a key part until basically his 4th season. If Stauskas goes to a bad team with a bad coach, even if he gets some freebie minutes, it won't necessarily help his development. He'll need a guy who'll make him work disproportionately on his weaknesses, specifically quickness and D.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              He frequently would get blown by or bullied in college....where guys are shorter, slower and weaker than in the NBA. So I'd say it's definitely the biggest concern, and not one that can be brushed aside.

He'll need to get drafted into the right situation, like Redick. SVG busted Redick's ass to get him to improve his quickness and work basically on nothing but D. Redick was not part of their regular rotation at all for his first couple of years, and not a key part until basically his 4th season. If Stauskas goes to a bad team with a bad coach, even if he gets some freebie minutes, it won't necessarily help his development. He'll need a guy who'll make him work disproportionately on his weaknesses, specifically quickness and D.
              I honestly think If would be really beneficial If Stauskas got drafted by the Chicago Bulls
              Thibs would make him work hard at the defensive end and even if someone blows by him the Bulls have a bunch of solid 1on1 defenders

Comment

• LaVine

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ive-nba-upside
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                  wow I want to really see where zach gets drafted
                  He is going to have to wow in workouts

I'd poop myself if raps got him with sac 2nd rd pick

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Would be fantastic to get a prospect with potential high end abilities within the second round. I could see him sliding into the mid-twenties, but second round pick would be an insane drop.
                    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• You'd think with his explosive athleticism and the fact that he can shoot the three, there's a good chance he will wow people in workouts.

Comment

• I really like Elfrid Payton. Worried about his jumper though.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

I'm sure he's gonna wow people in workouts

Especially when he shows off his 43" vertical and hits like 50 three's in a row

Comment

• huge and we *threw keggers pretty often. Lighters always walked off. Finally I taped a plastic spoon to the main living room lighter like businesses do with pens, it worked fairly well.

On an unrelated note but I just remembered. At that same house we were having a party (i think i must have just gotten back from work or something because i was sober) and I walked outside to a bunch of people getting into a SUV to leave and they have one my roommates fucking cat. Seriously who goes to a college house party and tries to steal the cat?

Comment

huge and we *threw keggers pretty often. Lighters always walked off. Finally I taped a plastic spoon to the main living room lighter like businesses do with pens, it worked fairly well.

On an unrelated note but I just remembered. At that same house we were having a party (i think i must have just gotten back from work or something because i was sober) and I walked outside to a bunch of people getting into a SUV to leave and they have one my roommates fucking cat. Seriously who goes to a college house party and tries to steal the cat?
                              Second most random post of the night.

Comment

huge and we *threw keggers pretty often. Lighters always walked off. Finally I taped a plastic spoon to the main living room lighter like businesses do with pens, it worked fairly well.

What the hell?

I don't even remember saying this LMAO

Comment

Working...
                                X