The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stooley wrote: View Post
    I've read quite a few reports that mention that Parker doesn't have that lightning quick first step. He's a great athlete, with length and speed so is great in transition, but gets most of his buckets in the half-court by rising above his defender.

I feel like I see a lot of Rudy Gay in him, which scares me.

I like Exum more than Parker.
    Parker is already a better shooter/playmaker than Gay. Basketball IQ is also a lot higher than Gay from what i've seen. So yeah, i can't see the comparison. Parker is more of a Melo/Pierce type of player.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Parker projects as a 3/4, he does have ball skills, but he not going to play on the perimter as much as Gay and Pierce. I say a guy more like Glen Big Dog Robinson with a little more length.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        Parker is already a better shooter/playmaker than Gay. Basketball IQ is also a lot higher than Gay from what i've seen. So yeah, i can't see the comparison. Parker is more of a Melo/Pierce type of player.
        You can't compare players when their playing in two different leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          You can't compare players when their playing in two different leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Well, you can.

But I understand your point.

I'm no expert on scouting (far, far from it) but my greatest fear with Parker is his 3/4 classification. These players worry me coming into the NBA. Beasley was one of these and was almost drafted ahead of Rose. They aren't called 3s because they lack the explosiveness to play one in the NBA and aren't called 4s because they don't have the size. I think it takes a very specific system to coax the best from a player like this.

I think of tweeners in a similar way to how I think of less athletic (mostly white) shooters who seem to do everything in the NCAA but can't bring it at the next level.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Well, you can.

I'm no expert on scouting (far, far from it) but my greatest fear with Parker is his 3/4 classification. These players worry me coming into the NBA. Beasley was one of these and was almost drafted ahead of Rose. They aren't called 3s because they lack the explosiveness to play one in the NBA and aren't called 4s because they don't have the size. I think it takes a very specific system to coax the best from a player like this.

I think of tweeners in a similar way to how I think of less athletic (mostly white) shooters who seem to do everything in the NCAA but can't bring it at the next level.
            I agree of your concerns.

I'd use Derrick Williams as an example though.

Beasley has a whole host of issues - few related to basketball though.

Comment

Well, you can.

A lot of guys (Aaron Gordon and Julius Randle as well) coming into this draft have this issue.. that's the one thing that worries me.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                A lot of guys (Aaron Gordon and Julius Randle as well) coming into this draft have this issue.. that's the one thing that worries me.
                Supposedly Aaron Gordon's standing reach is higher than Blake Griffin's!

And Randle at 6'9, if that is really true, isn't too far off from the Loves of the league.
                "Bruno?
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                  For every example of a guy who doesn't live up to expectations one could point out one who does.

Blake Griffin can't shoot and has short arms.
                  ZBo is not athletic.
                  etc.
                  etc.

In Weltman and Ujiri we trust.... with no choice in the matter! lol

Comment

• so wheres Toronto at now.... picking 8th?

nice, nice..... moving on up!

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                      so wheres Toronto at now.... picking 8th?

nice, nice..... moving on up!
                      A Brooklyn win tonight over the Knicks would move Toronto into a 4-way tie for the 5th lowest # of wins.

On the other hand if NY wins, Toronto would remain in a 3-way tie for the 6th fewest wins, but would only be 2 wins ahead of the 3 teams tied for 2nd fewest.

It's such an odd season when a team can be so close to the bottom of the league's standings AND be so close to leading a division (and getting a #4 seed for the playoffs)! A truly bizarre NBA season to say the least.

Comment

• A nice article mentioning James' court sense.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...volved-offense

Any guys in this upcoming draft who could become court generals like this? I'm still very high on Exum.
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• The guy I really want from this draft is Exum. Combine him with Valanciunas and we've got a nice future going on

Sent from my C1904 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm still pissed at Colangelo for passing on Drummond for Ross. Ugh. What a mess.

Sent from my C1904 using Tapatalk

Comment

• CBS mock draft (too early?) AKA Hover-Tank

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...-your-new-no-1

A few points about this recent cbs mock draft.

1. Jabari is #1 here. Wiggins CAN slip. Plenty of talent available at multiple positions (particularly forwards).

2. This draft projects that 10 of the lottery picks will belong to Eastern Conference teams. The raps pick 13th. 4 of the top 5 picks belong to Eastern Conference teams. Everyone around us wound be so much better next year and possibly for a long time after that.

Obviously this is just a mock draft and there is tons of nba/ncaa left to be played and tons of stuff is gonna happen in that time. This is just one possible scenario. In my opinion, it is not a good one for the raps.

End note: Masai would rather drive to Syracuse to watch Indiana than go to California to watch his team (that he is so diligently "evaluating") play. He just had a baby so maybe he wants to stay close (and any number of other reasons) OR it could be that he drives a HOVER - TANK around the globe searching for a player that can plug the Rudy Gay sink-hole . That night he was checking out Vonleh and Grant (Ennis too). PFs that could go mid/late-lottery.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                                http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...-your-new-no-1

A few points about this recent cbs mock draft.

1. Jabari is #1 here. Wiggins CAN slip. Plenty of talent available at multiple positions (particularly forwards).

2. This draft projects that 10 of the lottery picks will belong to Eastern Conference teams. The raps pick 13th. 4 of the top 5 picks belong to Eastern Conference teams. Everyone around us wound be so much better next year and possibly for a long time after that.

Obviously this is just a mock draft and there is tons of nba/ncaa left to be played and tons of stuff is gonna happen in that time. This is just one possible scenario. In my opinion, it is not a good one for the raps.

End note: Masai would rather drive to Syracuse to watch Indiana than go to California to watch his team (that he is so diligently "evaluating") play. He just had a baby so maybe he wants to stay close (and any number of other reasons) OR it could be that he drives a HOVER - TANK around the globe searching for a player that can plug the Rudy Gay sink-hole . That night he was checking out Vonleh and Grant (Ennis too). PFs that could go mid/late-lottery.
                                Raps select Dario Saric at 13 and the comment is "this is the most Raptors selection" lol.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X