The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

My impression was that he was referring to his own performance, but I could be wrong.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Apparently Jarnell Stokes destroyed Adrien Payne in the workout today
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Stokes said he believes Raps really considering him at 20.

Comment

• Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
          Stokes said he believes Raps really considering him at 20.
          theres just a pretty hard ceiling on a 6'8 PF. I'm not sure I'm all that thrilled with that.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
            Stokes said he believes Raps really considering him at 20.
            Have a hard time believing that. Maybe at 37, but I'd be surprised if they took him at 20.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
              My impression was that he was referring to his own performance, but I could be wrong.
              Maybe he played bad on purpose cuz he doesn't want to play in Canada

Comment

• I would be happy if the Raps picked up an extra pick from 28-32 to get him. He has a very similar body type to Sullinger (half inch shorter, same wingspan, but 2 inches less standing reach) with a little more athleticism (2 more inches on standing vertical and 5 more on max vert.). Sullinger was a better player at the time of the 2012 draft, but he also had 2 years on Stokes.

When looking at Stokes he really isn't that much shorter (height, standing reach and wing span) than Love, Randolf, Blake Griffin (Stokes had similar verticals). He gives in most cases an inch in standing reach and height, but measures better or the same as most of the PF's. He does't have the reach of some of the longer guys out there, but he has the strength to keep them further away from the basket and box out. If he can learn to use his body and athleticism to his advantage he could have a lot of potential.

What I would love to see on draft night :

Ennis/Payton at 20
                and some how get into the 28-32 range to pick up Stokes

Yup, I'm on the Stokes bandwagon!

Comment

• Stokes and Payton. Masaii make it happen.

I would love to see Payton playing for us at the PG spot. He pushes the ball, plays hard on both ends, and gets into the paint.

The Raptors are already lacking in fast break points, and we need to have a pointgaurd that can shut down the most talented position in the league.

Im sure that his shot can improve, and I think that he will be great in the locker room.
                  I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                  -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• Doug Smith once said on the radio (don't read his stuff anymore) that he believes Toronto will be drafting Stokes. He's not the most intelligent basketball reporter but has some connections with the front office. So he could have heard his name being thrown around.

I don't like Stokes at 20. I don't think he'll be there by 37 though. I still think Phoenix's pick is up for grabs. Could trade 37 for 27 and 50. Phoenix saves some money. Toronto can get Stokes. They could get another low end second rounder / euro stash. But won't be able to get Inglis or Little Po.

Comment

• YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                      Stokes and Payton. Masaii make it happen.

I would love to see Payton playing for us at the PG spot. He pushes the ball, plays hard on both ends, and gets into the paint.

The Raptors are already lacking in fast break points, and we need to have a pointgaurd that can shut down the most talented position in the league.

Im sure that his shot can improve, and I think that he will be great in the locker room.
                      Is there any PG who can shut down his opponent every night? No. There's no Gary Payton in the league right now. Westbrook is arguably the best one-on-one defender at the position, and still couldn't contain Paul in a series. I'm big on Payton and his potential on D is a big reason, but I have no hopes that he can "shut down" anybody. Just make things difficult to relieve the pressure behind him on D.

Most of the guys who "shut down" PGs for significant stretches, say a whole game or several in a series, tend to be wings with good speed on D. A LeBron, Batum, Leonard, or for us, Ross (who did a good job at times on PGs). Basically, guys who have the luxury due to size/athleticism to sag off the PG so it's harder to get blown by.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Doug Smith once said on the radio (don't read his stuff anymore) that he believes Toronto will be drafting Stokes. He's not the most intelligent basketball reporter but has some connections with the front office. So he could have heard his name being thrown around.

I don't like Stokes at 20. I don't think he'll be there by 37 though. I still think Phoenix's pick is up for grabs. Could trade 37 for 27 and 50. Phoenix saves some money. Toronto can get Stokes. They could get another low end second rounder / euro stash. But won't be able to get Inglis or Little Po.
                        Yeah, I'm hoping if they really want Stokes it's in such a scenario. I like Stokes, but not enough to take him at 20.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Doug Smith once said on the radio (don't read his stuff anymore) that he believes Toronto will be drafting Stokes. He's not the most intelligent basketball reporter but has some connections with the front office. So he could have heard his name being thrown around.

i dont know, ive got a feeling that the spurs will draft inglis, make him look amazing like they did george hill than trade him for a leanard equivalent but at the pf postion
                          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• The Thunder have 21 and 29, #29 might be obtainable.

Comment

• who the hell is Stokes
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                                The Thunder have 21 and 29, #29 might be obtainable.
                                I think several picks in the 20s could be available for the right offer.

OKC has 21 and 29, so yeah, one of those might be available.
                                Memphis is allergic to the tax, so if they don't want to add a guaranteed deal and see no "stash" option, their pick at 22 could be on the table.
                                Utah and Charlotte have 23 and 24 respectively, and for both it's their 2nd pick in the draft. I doubt Utah trades it since they're in an all-out rebuild, but maybe Charlotte would trade for something like our 2nd rounder.
                                Houston may have similar motives to Memphis at 25, although not for fear of the tax, but to keep from adding any rookie deals so they can maximize cap room in free agency.
                                PHX at 27 is their 3rd pick, and could easily be on the table.
                                The Clippers at 28 I could also see potentially moving their pick. They're in win-now mode and it's not likely they get someone for that goal at 28, nor is it likely they get such a high-ceiling guy that they wouldn't at least consider moving the pick depending on offers they get (though I'm not sure here what Toronto can give them).

Comment

Working...
                                X