No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, terrible news for Embiid. Still don't think he drops out of the top 5 though. Magic may take a look at him.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Perhaps embiid with them injuries will fall to us at 20 hehehe I wish

Just get a sf and backup c is my wish but if a pg falls then its bpa

Comment

• VIa HoopsHype.com:

Gran Canaria announced that Walter Tavares extended his contract with the team for three more years. The big man averaged 6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game in 35 contests in ACB. Sportando
        I could definitely see a team like OKC or SA drafting and stashing.

EDIT: Actually I could see anyone drafting him and stashing.

Baxter Holmes: Confirmed that Celtics worked out 7-3 Walter Tavares yesterday. He has a 9-10 standing vertical reach, the best the C’s have ever measured. Twitter @BaxterHolmes
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Jun 19, 2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
          Might not be a bad idea if they don't like embiid and his health, or think wiggins has the ability to fulfill his potential.
          Cavs always try to outsmart everyone and only end up outsmarting themselves.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
            Cavs always try to outsmart everyone and only end up outsmarting themselves.
            True.

But to be fair that was under Grant.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              VIa HoopsHype.com:

I could definitely see a team like OKC or SA drafting and stashing.

EDIT: Actually I could see anyone drafting him and stashing.
              I would think it should be easy enough to turn the 59th pick, and a future second to move up in the second round and grab someone like Tavares in the early 40s. Philadelphia at 39 could be a pick to target. Would be nice to get a player with that type of potential to stash for a few years.
              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Embid's injury might work in favour for the raptors. He will fall but probably not passed Orlando especially if Exum is not on the board. That mean Orlando would have to use their 12th pick on a PG. Seeing that Smart probably off the board at that point it leave the flavour of the month Payton. Meaning that just leaves Chicago's two pick in the way of Ennis coming home.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of his. I don't like the pressure the fan base will attempt to put on Casey to play this kid. Also don't like the fact Ennis ended the NCAA season as the second best PG in the draft but after workouts his fallen to always being the fourth taken on draft night. Which means his being exposed by the other guards in workouts. It just makes me think that his ceiling actually is Jose Calderon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Which means his being exposed by the other guards in workouts. It just makes me think that his ceiling actually is Jose Calderon.
                  Which for the record drafting Jose Calderon as your backup with the 20th pick...could do a LOT worse
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Also don't like the fact Ennis ended the NCAA season as the second best PG in the draft but after workouts his fallen to always being the fourth taken on draft night. Which means his being exposed by the other guards in workouts. It just makes me think that his ceiling actually is Jose Calderon.
                    That's how you get steals in the draft. His performance over an entire year in real games is MUCH more indicative of his value than his performance in 5-6 workouts where players tend to just do drills, or play 1-on-1, or at best 3-on-3 with players they don't know. If teams are foolhardy enough to pass on him because of workouts, great news for us. Ujiri himself even said that the workouts had little value for the guys they scouted heavily, and the work was done for the 20 pick, and that the bulk of the effort in the workouts was to get a feel for the 37th and 59th picks - guys who would not have been scouted as heavily or at all.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                      Which for the record drafting Jose Calderon as your backup with the 20th pick...could do a LOT worse
                      Good point. I'm just dreading a thread in the December about how Casey will not play Ennis.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Just updating the Embiid mess...yuck.

"Joel Embiid suffered a stress fracture to the navicular bone in his right foot," Arn Tellem said Thursday. "He is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow. Joel will be unable to participate in any additional workouts, and will not attend the draft in New York.
                        http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...rior-nba-draft

A single tear just rolled down my cheek. Does this kid have bad luck, or what?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          That's how you get steals in the draft. His performance over an entire year in real games is MUCH more indicative of his value than his performance in 5-6 workouts where players tend to just do drills, or play 1-on-1, or at best 3-on-3 with players they don't know. If teams are foolhardy enough to pass on him because of workouts, great news for us. Ujiri himself even said that the workouts had little value for the guys they scouted heavily, and the work was done for the 20 pick, and that the bulk of the effort in the workouts was to get a feel for the 37th and 59th picks - guys who would not have been scouted as heavily or at all.
                          You make a few points but, all Ennis has proven is that his a very good College basketball player. In a more NBA sitting he struggles against guards who in college he played well against.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

You make a few points but, all Ennis has proven is that his a very good College basketball player. In a more NBA sitting he struggles against guards who in college he played well against.

There's no proof he's struggling in workouts. Workouts tend to bring athleticism and one-on-one play to the forefront. Guys like LaVine and Payton will look better than him and that's why they moved up. But basketball is a 5-on-5 sport on both ends, and Ennis is probably the smartest PG in the draft. That counts for a lot.

Don't sell a guy short because of how his stock fluctuates in workout season, and don't get high on a guy just because he's working out well. The best indicator of a guy's talent is still what he displays in organized, 5-on-5 basketball.

*Workouts are not a "more NBA" setting. In fact they're less of an NBA setting than pretty much any 5-on-5 ball these guys played all year, whether it's NCAA or overseas.
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jun 19, 2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              Just updating the Embiid mess...yuck.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...rior-nba-draft

A single tear just rolled down my cheek. Does this kid have bad luck, or what?
                              So, I wonder about all those who thought that the Raptors should tear apart their team to "tank" for a generational talent. Embiid looks like he might be made of glass, and Wiggins isn't even a sure #1 pick, let alone a "generational talent". They might end up being very good players, but it shows how unpredictable this "tank nation" concept is.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                                So, I wonder about all those who thought that the Raptors should tear apart their team to "tank" for a generational talent. Embiid looks like he might be made of glass, and Wiggins isn't even a sure #1 pick, let alone a "generational talent". They might end up being very good players, but it shows how unpredictable this "tank nation" concept is.
                                I'm well aware, that doesn't change my opinion in the slightest bit with regards to tanking.

Although, obviously I would way rather keep our core together than tank right now.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X