The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    He's no newer to the game than Embiid. Just like throwing that out there.
    I just find it really confusing in terms of experience. They say Embiid has played ORGANIZED basketball for 4 years, and the say that caboclo has played basketball for 5 years... So does it mean Caboclo has been playing organized basketball for 5 years? Or he's been playing organized basketball for 2 years and he's just playing ball on the streets or shooting hoops at the park for the other 3? Sounds kinda dumb but I wouldn't mind having more clarification on that. Embiid's volleyball background helped his footwork a lot I believe.

Comment

• keefec wrote: View Post
      I just find it really confusing in terms of experience. They say Embiid has played ORGANIZED basketball for 4 years, and the say that caboclo has played basketball for 5 years... So does it mean Caboclo has been playing organized basketball for 5 years? Or he's been playing organized basketball for 2 years and he's just playing ball on the streets or shooting hoops at the park for the other 3? Sounds kinda dumb but I wouldn't mind having more clarification on that. Embiid's volleyball background helped his footwork a lot I believe.
      Well who knows...

BUt on the last point, given Caboclo is from Brazil, it's entirely likely as an athlete he's played many sports growing up, most likely among them sports like soccer and volleyball. Could also explain why he's apparently quick on his feet at his size.

Comment

• Porter wrote: View Post
        Not a fan of the player drafted but I am huge fan of the quote by Fran Fraschilla. Best. Quote. In. A. Draft. Ever. "He's two years away from being two years away."

Anyway back to the player. The Brazilian Kevin Durant. Is that like the Australian Shaq? Anyone remember him? Anyone? Bueller?
        There's a reason MU went from scouting to the boardroom, and Fran went from scouting to Division 3 state college coach to seldom heard from European ESPN correspondent.

Comment

Well who knows...

BUt on the last point, given Caboclo is from Brazil, it's entirely likely as an athlete he's played many sports growing up, most likely among them sports like soccer and volleyball. Could also explain why he's apparently quick on his feet at his size.
          Imagine he plays as a goalie in soccer.. Getting a ball past a goalie with a 7'7 wingspan would be extremely tough lol. But back to the point, yeah I hope hes got some more athletic background that can help his footwork too, playing soccer would probably help him increase his vision too. The thing i like the most about him is that he makes it seem easy regardless of the level of competition he was involved in

Comment

• I am happy with this pick. I have faith in Masai that he made the right decision. Being a scout in the NBA, he's got experience. Granted that not every scout has been successful every time. But the fact that it appears he did his due diligence, actually WATCHED him play LIVE, even (somehow) worked him out with Casey et all... Masai saw something in him that moved him. Only Masai and a few other GM/scouts saw him so I would assume he did his homework and selecting him with the 20th pick. So give MU a break! He's been doing this his whole life, practically.

Now if he was a top 10 pick, yeah I'll have a more difficult time to wrap my head around this but he is the 20th pick, now time to move on and see what this kid can do. It's clear that MU was dejected that he couldn't bring home Ennis, you could hear it in his voice.
            #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

• Off-topic a bit.

The Hornets had a tremendous draft.

Vonleh and Hairston fit so well in their team, i'd be nuts if i was a Charlotte fan, new quality players, new unis, new arena (sorta). This is probably the re-birth of the franchise.
              Myself (March 2014):
              The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                Off-topic a bit.

The Hornets had a tremendous draft.

Vonleh and Hairston fit so well in their team, i'd be nuts if i was a Charlotte fan, new quality players, new unis, new arena (sorta). This is probably the re-birth of the franchise.
                Philly did quite well for themselves too....Embiid, Saric, McDaniels, Grant, Russ Smith, Micic....

Comment

Philly did quite well for themselves too....Embiid, Saric, McDaniels, Grant, Russ Smith, Micic....
                  They also picked up future picks, both 1st and 2nd round... AND they're primed to tank again next season, to get another top draft pick!

In 3 seasons, especially with the cap space they'll have available and the number of cheap, young assets at their disposal, they could be a scary good team.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                    Watch the videos and avoid the hyperbolic quotes. Fran was probably just pissed his interns didn't give him video on this guy and made him look stupid.
                    Bang on Fran all you want. It is easy to do. I'm not saying Fran is some genius. I'm also not saying Ujiri is some genius. Most Raps fans wanted to crown Colangelo has dealing away Jalen Rose and bringing in Bargs, Garbaosa, etc. Look how that turned out. I think the picks was a tremendous reach. If this kid turns out to be good I will gladly eat my words. I just don't see it.

Additionally, I watched the video of Caboclo. I can't tell if he's making those plays in garbage time minutes ala Darco's highlight tapes or not. He never has the ball and creates his own shot which good/great NBA players do. Maybe if I could see more/better highlights I'd change my mind.

I've been a fan since the beginning but not drinking the kool aid just because the GM that got rid of Gay and Bargs drafted him.

Comment

• Kyle Anderson to the spurs crazy they get a gem every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• or....or...and here me out about this, Fran made a clever tongue-in-cheek joke about how raw an 18 year old who started playing basketball just 5-years ago is on live television with less than 30 seconds of preparation.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• http://www.reddit.com/r/torontorapto..._over_caboclo/

Some guy on Reddit from Brazil apparently knows Bruno, and he answered some questions about him

"I think that my point of view might be interesting to you guys since I've watched Caboclo playing and practicing for the last two years.

The Raptors got a gym rat. Bruno doesn't care about anything but improving as a basketball player. He will be at the gym before everybody, and won't leave until someone turns the light out.

His averages in the games are wrong. They are only about his games as pro, and he missed lots of them while playing in U-18 teams (with that he got lots of 0.0ppg, 0.0apg, 0.0rpg)

He was very well coached by Mortari (You can hear about him at this video around the 10:10 mark

He is really athletic, and will likely become stronger now that entered the nba (See for example Nene before he got drafted). He can shoot 3s and mid range, and got a decent defense. Gotta work his footwork tho. The ''Need to learn basketball thing'' probably meant he need to understand the concepts of the game a little bit, but nothing to do with fundamentals.

Being the gym rat they he is I believe that he won't be a bust"

"Not sure if y'all can translate this, so I will summarize it. In a Liga das Americas game (The south american equivalent to the euroleague) In 30 minutes Caboclo scored 24 points shooting 81% (5-7 and 4-4 from beyond the arc) got 5 rebounds and 1 assist and 1 block"
                            Last edited by MACK11; Fri Jun 27, 2014, 02:57 PM.
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MU swung for the fences at 20 and I'm fine with that. Don't kid me with more "certain" college picks in the 20-30 range. The college picks are crapshoot in the top 10, let alone at 20-30. Most of the "polished" players selected 20-30 are not going to make it past their rookie deals.

Also, this wasn't a haphazard pick. Ujiri explained his thinking and this was a contingency plan - basically plan B or C after attempting to make some moves and not being able to. So much of a GM's job is outside of his control, especially trying to predict future prospect development and the willingness/unwillingness of other GM's to swing a deal. Ujiri's Plan A of landing Ennis and Bruno while acquiring T.Prince would have been an A+ draft night. It didn't work out and he got the one player he still could get. Time will tell.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                                Kyle Anderson to the spurs crazy they get a gem every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                lol. ok, ok
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X