The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    Of all the players they worked out today, Grant is the only one that interest me.
    Yeah, I must say, I'm starting to come around a little with Grant.

It all depends on his demeanor to me. If he's mature, focused and got Demar's work ethic, I draft him. If he's partying with strippers too much, I'm not.

Athletic and a good work ethic is enough for me, as I read more and more about Kawhi.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post

It all depends on his demeanor to me. If he's mature, focused and got Demar's work ethic, I draft him. If he's partying with strippers too much, I'm not.

Athletic and a good work ethic is enough for me, as I read more and more about Kawhi.
      Kawhi improved his shot a lot, but he had a decent offensive game coming out of college.

Grant still reminds me of MKG. MKG also has great character and work ethic...and his jumpshot and scoring game are still bad.

Hard to project what could happen with Grant. I wouldn't be upset with him as a pick, but he's not someone I'd really target.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Kawhi improved his shot a lot, but he had a decent offensive game coming out of college.

Grant still reminds me of MKG. MKG also has great character and work ethic...and his jumpshot and scoring game are still bad.

Hard to project what could happen with Grant. I wouldn't be upset with him as a pick, but he's not someone I'd really target.
        MKG is still learning too though, we don't really know how he'll end up, but I see what you're saying.

Again, for me, it comes down to work ethic.

If Grant can see the long term and diligently rebuild his stroke without resisting change, I'm interested. Especially if he'll put the time in during the off season like Demar. I wouldn't target him either, but I was anti-Grant for a while.

Our pick could come down to one of him, Capela, Early, Warren etc. In that case I'm leaning Capela, but Grant would be my second choice (again, hinging on his attitude)
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

MKG is still learning too though, we don't really know how he'll end up, but I see what you're saying.

Again, for me, it comes down to work ethic.

If Grant can see the long term and diligently rebuild his stroke without resisting change, I'm interested. Especially if he'll put the time in during the off season like Demar. I wouldn't target him either, but I was anti-Grant for a while.

Our pick could come down to one of him, Capela, Early, Warren etc. In that case I'm leaning Capela, but Grant would be my second choice (again, hinging on his attitude)
          If no one drops, I'm high on Capela, Anderson and Porzingis. I would be ok with Grant, but I never put him in any of my tiers because I'd expect either someone to drop (Ennis, Payton, etc.) or one of those three to be available. And he'll definitely be gone by 37. But if by some miracle Grant fell to 37 I'd be pretty thrilled.

Comment

• I'll stay away from Early if i'm the Raps. Just not a big fan. He's too small to play SF, not a very good defender, he's just not a good fit here.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

I'll stay away from Early if i'm the Raps. Just not a big fan. He's too small to play SF, not a very good defender, he's just not a good fit here.
              I like earlys character and his game just not his size. Too small to be a sf.

Ennis/payton inglis and ejim is my wet dream if we can come away with them
              Id thow grant in there ig ennis/payton are gone

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

I'll stay away from Early if i'm the Raps. Just not a big fan. He's too small to play SF, not a very good defender, he's just not a good fit here.
                He's also seemingly allergic to passing.

Comment

• Josh Huestes is actually the prospect in that group I see the Raps as being likely to take, at 59. He brings solid D and solid O on the wing, and could be an option assuming the first two picks don't address that wing defender hole (now, I'm hoping they do, between McDaniels at 20 and Daniels or Inglis at 37).
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• JJ (Liberty Twp, OH)

At this point, how many top ten picks do you think will be traded?

Chad Ford
                    (2:01 PM)

At least 2. Celtics, Lakers, Kings are the top 3 candidates.
                    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Michael (Philadelphia)

Hi Chad. What do you think the chances are of the Sixers moving up from 10? Wouldn't a swap of Thad/10th pick to the Lakers for Nash's Contract/7th pick make a lot of sense for both sides?

Chad Ford
                    (1:34 PM)

Yes. I think this might be a good scenario for the Sixers. Allows them to add an elite power forward at 7 (one of Randle, Gordon or Vonleh should be on the board at 7) and gives the Lakers a player who can impact the game right away along with another pick. If the Sixers can't get the Cavs to bit on Young + 10 for No. 1, then this might be a very good option for them. Ditto for the Celtics at No. 6.

Comment

• TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
                      You guys are orgasming over damien inglis ill hop on the bandwagon hopefully we can get him at 37
                      LOL, all it took for you to like a player that you never heard of was for a bunch of guys on a chat board to tell you he was good? I have some magic beans I'd like to sell you sir

Comment

But at 6' 7" isn't he the same size as Ross? Minus the perimeter game and I can't imagine he's as good of a defender right now as Ross is. Doesn't seem like he will be big enough to guard true SF's, which is the same issue we have with the DD & TR tandem. Do we need or want yet another wing that somewhat duplicates existing players on the roster?

Comment

• Agree or disagree, the Raptors haven't brought any prospects in (yet) that are on any draft boards expected to go at 20 or higher? This makes me think moving up in the draft is not something they are looking to do, and that they are possibly looking to move down in the draft. Thoughts?

Comment

• I think we already brought in our guy and worst case will trade for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ennis Anderson early possibly mcdaniels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Today's workout: Markel Brown (SG), Markel Starks (PG), LaQuinton Ross (SF), Jamil Wilson (F), Clint Capela (PF) & Artem Klimenko(C)

Markel Brown (SG): 6'3", 183 lbs. 6'9" wingspan, 44 inch vertical. A little short for a SG, he's a very nice athlete, long, reminds of Terrence Ross but with a huge wingspan. Shoots the 3 very well (38%), gets to the line pretty well, rebounds well for a guard (5 per game), not a great distributor but not bad for a SG with 3 per game (and only 1.6 TOV's). Also averaged a block and a steal per game so he has a defensive presence, although the scouting report is that he's not always dialed in on that end. Very intriguing late round pick. Projected at 55, 22 years old.

Markel Starks (PG): 6'1", 166 lbs. Small PG, with a little length to help make up for it (6'5" wingspan). Average athletically. Not a great shooter, though not terrible. Gets to the line fairly well and converts. Decent passer. Good and active defender. Projects at 81, 23 years old.

LaQuinton Ross (SF): 6'7", 239 lbs. 7'2" wingspan. Nice big SF. Solid 3 point shooter (35%), not much of an overall scorer but does OK. Gets to the line a good deal to make up for a little inefficiency shooting inside the arc. Rebounds well with 6 per game in 29 minutes. Very little in way of athleticism - not quick, nor a great leaper. Partly due to that, he's only an average-to-below-average defender - doesn't have the strength for PF's, and is a little slow for SF's. Projected at 52, 21 years old.

Jamil Wilson (SF/PF): 6'7", 217 lbs. 7'0" wingspan, 40 inch vert. Athletic tweener. Below average shooter from distance, but not bad (32%). Rebounds alright for a PF, well for a SF. Overpowered defensively against PF's, but decent on the perimeter, in spite of only average lateral quickness for a wing. Not projected, 23 years old.

Clint Capela (PF): 6'11", 222 lbs. 7'5" wingspan. 32" max vert. Not super athletic, but decent for a big man. Very good rebounder (7 in 20 minutes in the French League and Euroleague). Converts well offensively (between 60-70% FG%), though not a good FT shooter. Averaged over a block a game and can be a presence inside, though not an overpowering one yet. Not much range on his shot. Projected at 21, 20 years old. Very much an option at 20.

Artem Klimenko (C): 7'1", 228lbs. 7'4" wingspan. 28" vert. Big C. Quick on his feet, and gets off the floor well enough in game. Not particularly skilled offensively although he produces well enough in the Russian 2nd Division. Can hit his free throws (75%) and has a developing midrange game. Good offensive rebounder. Good defender in screen situations due to his quickness. A lot of unknowns here, due to him playing in Russia, so the competition isn't great. Projected at 38, 20 years old.

Capela is one of my favourites at 20. Rim protector and rebounder that would fit well alongside JV in the future, if there was a third big like Patterson to stretch the floor for each of them for stretches. Could be big enough to play some C as well. Klimenko is a risky pick, but one that could pay off. Wouldn't mind him at 37 if more choice picks like Tavares, Dinwiddie and Inglis are off the board. Certainly would snatch him up at 59 if he fell due to concerns about his citizenship (Russian players have a bit of a history of never coming over after being drafted). Markel Brown could be in the mix at 59.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X