The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJF wrote: View Post
    He did put up almost a block and half and a steal per game, he was not a lock down guy, but he is not as bad as people make it out to be.
    Oh please.

Jabari doesn't play defense and there's no way he deserves 4 votes for DPOY. Dude can't defend perimeter and interior, he's allowing deep post catches way too easy, his lateral quickness is really low.. in short, he needs to continue to work hard otherwise he'll see 50pts nights from NBA' SFs.

Comment

• Chad Ford is back with another chat after a few weeks away. Since trade deadline is over it is all draft.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Comment

• Marcus Smart has awoken from his slumber.

Check his last 5 games.

Averaging 4.5 steals in those 5.

Comment

• Top Pac12 NBA prospects as per NBADraft.net:

Top 5 2014 NBA Draft Prospects

1. Zach LaVine, UCLA

LaVine has had an up and down season. He went scoreless in a recent game and obviously will need some time before becoming a consistent contributor at the next level. But the NBA draft is all about potential, and LaVine has more than any player in the Conference. Despite a recent shooting slump, he's still shooting over 40% from 3 and averaging over 10 ppg, despite limited minutes. He really wows in warm ups as he gets great elevation and almost never misses with his picture perfect form. Throw in his insane vertical, and some intriguing possibility as a point guard, and you've got a prospect with immense boom or bust potential.

2. Kyle Anderson, UCLA

The 6-9 point guard does it all for the Bruins. His versatility on offense makes for a tough outing for any opponent matched up against him. The sophomore is ranked in the top 5 in the conference in assists (6.8, 1st), rebounds (8.6, 4th) and steals (1.8, 4th) per game. Anderson took a big step in maturity this season and has done a good job running the offense each game. He’s the only player in the conference averaging at least 14.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists per game and has recorded 14 double-doubles and eight 20-point games. I expect him to be a lottery pick in this draft to a team that is looking to add a little versatility to their offense.

3. Aaron Gordon, Arizona

It might have taken longer than expected, but the freshman has finally started to live up to the hype that was surrounding him early in the season. Gordon is averaging 12.2 points per game and leads his team on the glass, averaging 8.0 rebounds per game. His offensive game remains extremely limited and may always, yet his energy and athleticism is where he makes his living. He’s great at making plays down low and picking up fouls, but unable to cap them off most of the time by missing his free-throws (.434 FT %). From a developmental standpoint, I think it would be best for Gordon to stay in college one more season to fine tune his skills, but with the ability to play both forward positions, I can see a team taking a chance on him in the mid to late first round of this year’s draft.

4. Justin Cobbs, California

The senior is a true point guard with all the right intangibles to succeed at the next level. He makes smart decisions each outing and keeps everything running smoothly on the offensive end for Cal. Cobbs is second in the conference in assists, averaging 5.8 per game while averaging just 2.6 turnovers per game. He also leads the team in scoring, averaging 15.8 points per game. The aspect of Cobbs’ game I admire the most is his efficiency both scoring and distributing the ball. He is shooting .471 from the field and is great at converting at the charity stripe with .818 free-throw percentage. Cobbs can provide solid minutes and keep the offense in tact in a reserve role in the pros. He’s a potential second round pick in this year’s draft with solid upside as a backup NBA PG if given the right opportunity in the NBA.

5. Nick Johnson, Arizona

The guard is as clutch as anyone this year in the conference. With the game on the line and the team needing a bucket, Johnson is that man to take the shot almost every time in this situation. He also plays lockdown D on the perimeter and comes up with big plays on the defensive end in the waning minutes of a game. The junior leads the team in scoring, averaging 16.0 points per game and has cashed in nine 20-point games on the season. Like Gordon, I think Johnson could use one more season at the collegiate level. He’s made big strides from his sophomore season to this season, but one more season at Arizona could be the icing on the cake. If a team does decide to take a chance on him, they would be getting a good leader and someone with the composure to make plays in the final minutes of the game. If anything he will be a second round pick in this year’s draft.

Honorable Mention

Jahii Carson, Arizona State

Carson has improved greatly from his freshman year up until now. He’s fourth in the conference in scoring, averaging 18.4 points per game. The guard also leads his team in distributing the ball with 4.4 assists per game on the season. In his freshman season, Carson had trouble using the left hand and it troubled some of his other abilities. This season it seems like he’s taken care of that problem and he now has the ability to do different things on the court. His 3-point game is what really standout about the sophomore this season. He’s shooting .407 from 3-point land, which is a big improvement over last year. The Sun Devil is an explosive player, and if he’s drafted by the right organization that can properly develop him in the next couple years, he can be a solid role player coming off the bench. He’s a projected second round pick in my opinion.
          http://nbadraft.net/flash-gordon

Comment

• I wouldn't go this far. But McDermott can definitely play.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Looks like Clint Capela is gonna get picked before our pick! Fuck! He was my #1 guy
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                Looks like Clint Capela is gonna get picked before our pick! Fuck! He was my #1 guy
                Still months away man. Things can change a lot between now and then. And shit can get extra crazy (in mocks) between the tournament and the last week or two before the draft.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Still months away man. Things can change a lot between now and then. And shit can get extra crazy (in mocks) between the tournament and the last week or two before the draft.
                  I dunnoe man Bigs usually rise as draft day gets closer. At least we got Masai drafting for us and he is a solid mid/late 1st round drafter

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                    I dunnoe man Bigs usually rise as draft day gets closer. At least we got Masai drafting for us and he is a solid mid/late 1st round drafter
                    Meh. Not sure about that. Feel like a lot depends on the draft. There are a lot of good non-big prospects at the moment.

Comment

• Prospects will rise and fall like crazy in the upcoming months on the mock drafts. Chad Ford in particular loves completely changing his mocks every other day seemingly based on one or two rumours. Will be fun to watch

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Oh please.

Jabari doesn't play defense and there's no way he deserves 4 votes for DPOY. Dude can't defend perimeter and interior, he's allowing deep post catches way too easy, his lateral quickness is really low.. in short, he needs to continue to work hard otherwise he'll see 50pts nights from NBA' SFs.
                        So lets see, a freshman combo forward being asked to guard 4's and 5's all game as the only player over 6'9 on the roster averages less than 9 minutes per game. Again, I am not saying he is a great defender, but people are making hm out to be much worse than he truly is....but hey, I am sure the coaches in the ACC are are dumb and just put the wrong name down.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• 4's and 5's are actually Jabari's best bet on the defensive end at this stage since his lateral quickness is very average and his awareness isn't the greatest. He loses track of guys cutting and moving off the ball etc. It is certainly crazy that he got some votes for DPOY, he wouldn't even be top 5 in his own team.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Definitely. And ratings can even during the workouts and combines. Every year or so, you always seem to get a Joe Alexander, Dion Waiters, Tyrus Thomas, Aleks Radojevic, etc... who some dumb GM falls in love with during the workouts. And then, likely going against his better judgment, he picks that guy way higher than he had him rated, even a few months earlier.

Comment

• Comment

• The one thing that scares me and should scare everyone else is say we draft a gem or a very solid player in the upcoming draft but we have DC as the head coach next season. I'm am pretty confident that the rookie we draft will barely get any min

Comment

Working...
                                X