Page 121 of 337 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 171 221 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 6734

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    he hit every single point on his weaknesses I felt like he was reading my mind. you guys still want lavine?
    Absolutely want him.

He is extremely quick on D and could stay in front of anyone, his main issue is strength (though he works hard in the gym so I don't think this will be a continuous issue). The defensive intensity can be brought, he does it occasionally, just needs to do it consistently. I think he was in a bit of a bad situation...

Same with on the offensive side, he can get to the rim, he just isn't strong enough to take the first bump. In the video there are a few clips of him driving into some tough crowds and avoiding contact. The thing I see is that he is splitting like 2-3 guys easily and getting to the rim past them, he just lacks the strength (and therefore body control) to put up a decent shot. Or he is being met at the restricted line and can't stop on a dime and go straight up and ends up with some shoulder contact which he can't finish through.

The only thing that concerns me is he does need to learn how to be more unselfish, which I think Nurse and Bayno have done a great job teaching our team (look at comparison of last year to this)

Just thought of a good comparison for Lavine a poor mans Kerry kittles
    Not bad. I was thinking Kevin Martin myself....

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    A couple of them I'd love to get early in the 2nd round, Harrison twins, Glenn Robinson III, and Nick Johnson.
    I would like Aaron Harrison (the less talented one). Coming out of high school I always thought he would make the better pro. Plays off the ball well

What do we need ? Shot blocking power forward like Ed Davis was. Upgrade at back up point. A small forward to replace salmons. back up center, I don't like running small ball
    Amir Johnson is a great rim protector. Stop with the Ed Davis stuff. Please.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Absolutely want him.

He is extremely quick on D and could stay in front of anyone, his main issue is strength (though he works hard in the gym so I don't think this will be a continuous issue). The defensive intensity can be brought, he does it occasionally, just needs to do it consistently. I think he was in a bit of a bad situation...

Same with on the offensive side, he can get to the rim, he just isn't strong enough to take the first bump. In the video there are a few clips of him driving into some tough crowds and avoiding contact. The thing I see is that he is splitting like 2-3 guys easily and getting to the rim past them, he just lacks the strength (and therefore body control) to put up a decent shot. Or he is being met at the restricted line and can't stop on a dime and go straight up and ends up with some shoulder contact which he can't finish through.

The only thing that concerns me is he does need to learn how to be more unselfish, which I think Nurse and Bayno have done a great job teaching our team (look at comparison of last year to this)

Not bad. I was thinking Kevin Martin myself....

I would like Aaron Harrison (the less talented one). Coming out of high school I always thought he would make the better pro. Plays off the ball well

Amir Johnson is a great rim protector. Stop with the Ed Davis stuff. Please.
    Lavine doesn't play good defense if u don't believe me look at draftepress video judge for urself if u haven't watched him all year. Offensively he puts his head down and goes, yes he is fast but that enough to draft a guy that can not play in the half court?

He is also 6'5 playing SG and doesn't not have the body to D up people like joe johnson , demar can't even check him lavine will get destroyed.

Kevin Martin does not take many bad shots Lavine on the other hand!!!

Amir great at pick and roll, decent off the ball shot blocker, runs the floor... He is terrible at posting up and not a great 1 v 1 defenders.

The Harrison's I like I see a next level to them. Need to watch more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I wil say this about Lavine so it's not all bad. If u put him in positions like corner 3 and give me solid screens he can be effective in SHORT spurts

Post Thanks / Like

But to me to stop him just take away transition baskets and he is done

Post Thanks / Like

Lavine doesn't play good defense if u don't believe me look at draftepress video judge for urself if u haven't watched him all year. Offensively he puts his head down and goes, yes he is fast but that enough to draft a guy that can not play in the half court?

He is also 6'5 playing SG and doesn't not have the body to D up people like joe johnson , demar can't even check him lavine will get destroyed.

Kevin Martin does not take many bad shots Lavine on the other hand!!!

Amir great at pick and roll, decent off the ball shot blocker, runs the floor... He is terrible at posting up and not a great 1 v 1 defenders.

The Harrison's I like I see a next level to them. Need to watch more.
    I said "He is extremely quick on D and could stay in front of anyone", that draft express video I believe had a segment on exactly that. However he isn't strong enough to stop anyone, and doesn't give consistent effort. The ability is there, just with a little strength work and some consistency work he will be able to be a good defender (he just isn't yet). It's not like he is unable to keep up with people.

6'5" is good size for a SG. Joe Johnson is an exception.

Kevin Martin plays the similar type of basketball though, heavy with the transition/leak out and a lot of threes or 1-2 dribble pull ups, which is basically what LaVine's game is...

All valid points about Amir. Now let's talk about Ed: average PnR, average post up, ok shot blocker, less mobile than Amir, unable to guard the PnR, not great in 1v1...so why do you want him so badly? He is basically a less hard working version of Hansborough

*Edit: I don't know exactly how one would fit LaVine into our roster (especially with what moves I want to see done with the team), but I think he is going to be the "BPA" at 20...

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@Grindhouse.. I'm pretty sure everyone knows and is not underselling the weaknesses of LaVine, even without watching the DraftExpress vid. He's very young and he's a project with holes in his game. Of course if you are unwilling to take a risk on a player like him, then that's perfectly fair and a different argument, because he may or may not develop (high risk/high reward pick). For example his defense is fixable I think, he has poor technique which can be taught.

7. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only covet ed shot blocking and at least his willingness to try and post up.

Ok Lavine is young and say u can teach him some of the things he is missing. He doesn't like contact that doesn't go away , huge problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BigCamB wrote: View Post
    @Grindhouse.. I'm pretty sure everyone knows and is not underselling the weaknesses of LaVine, even without watching the DraftExpress vid. He's very young and he's a project with holes in his game. Of course if you are unwilling to take a risk on a player like him, then that's perfectly fair and a different argument, because he may or may not develop (high risk/high reward pick). For example his defense is fixable I think, he has poor technique which can be taught.
    Exactly...this is the 20th pick we are talking about. I wouldn't take him top 5 or anything

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto has two athletic SG. Why start again with a rookie who would just create a bigger logjam PF is logjammed too. If Cauley Stein is avail at #19 probably best choice and Elfrid Payton second #3. Ennis wouldn't start over Lowry if we resign. Trading up for Ennis only makes sense if we don't resign Lowry and it is a step back for at least one sewason. Payton would be an upgrade over GV and DeColo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone heard anything about this kid?
    Tweet from DraftExpress:
    "Ilja Gromovs, a 6-10 Latvian shot-blocker from Jurmala, born in 1994, will declare for the NBA draft, his agent Arturs Kalnitis informed us."

The video shows a lot of blocks but little else (didn't see a shot other than an open dunk, didn't see any post move). Could be a good draft and stash guy in the 2nd round with the OKC pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Blocks never translate that's why Bachynski is low second round or undrafted rebounds, steals and fg% ft% are more important than blocks, points

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DeRozan
    Height w/shoes - 6' 6.5"
    Weight - 220
    Wingspan - 6' 9"
    Standing reach - 8' 6.5"

Ross
    Height w/shoes - 6' 7"
    Weight - 199
    Wingspan - 6' 7.25"
    Standing reach - 8' 4.5"

We need to find a legit SF!!! either by drafting one or free agent signing
    Masai treats the Knicks like they are his personal farm team system, where he can cultivate assets for the future. It's not right or fair, but he's THE WARLORD

Post Thanks / Like

Jerami Grant is prototypical SF defensively just can't shoot probably a 2-3 year project. Better prospect than Jabari Parker if looking for Defense not Offense. He played the 4 so can guard the post and rebounds well instinctly( Horace Grants nephew ). WCS is better at #19 but he will go earlier unless his injury is worse than reported.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    DeRozan
    Height w/shoes - 6' 6.5"
    Weight - 220
    Wingspan - 6' 9"
    Standing reach - 8' 6.5"

Ross
    Height w/shoes - 6' 7"
    Weight - 199
    Wingspan - 6' 7.25"
    Standing reach - 8' 4.5"

We need to find a legit SF!!! either by drafting one or free agent signing
    Feeel yaa LOL.. that Melo vs Ross match up was HILARIOUS to watch..

Post Thanks / Like

Montrezl Harrell going back to school.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...2014-nba-draft

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Montrezl Harrell going back to school.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...2014-nba-draft
    Harrell was growing on me and he was on my short list for the 19th/20th pick.. But good for him though. He seemed a bit too raw for the NBA at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he could move up into the lottery (or even top 10) next year. Or could drop out of the first round, but I'd bet on him moving up.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerami Grant is declaring for the draft:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...cuse-nba-draft

DraftExpress' mock has Toronto drafting him at 20th.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Toronto has two athletic SG. Why start again with a rookie who would just create a bigger logjam PF is logjammed too. If Cauley Stein is avail at #19 probably best choice and Elfrid Payton second #3. Ennis wouldn't start over Lowry if we resign. Trading up for Ennis only makes sense if we don't resign Lowry and it is a step back for at least one sewason. Payton would be an upgrade over GV and DeColo

You pick the BPA period.

Are you saying you'll take Cauley-Stein over LaVine because we have Ross and DeRozan??
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

You don't pick BPA at #20. The BPA in the lottery is smart strategy but later round BPA isn't good enough either you're drafting role players or poitential. Taking Embid for the Bucks when they have centers is BPA.

Page 121 of 337 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 171 221 ... LastLast

Thread Information