Page 121 of 337 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 171 221 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 6734

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

  1. #2401
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    he hit every single point on his weaknesses I felt like he was reading my mind. you guys still want lavine?
    Absolutely want him.

    He is extremely quick on D and could stay in front of anyone, his main issue is strength (though he works hard in the gym so I don't think this will be a continuous issue). The defensive intensity can be brought, he does it occasionally, just needs to do it consistently. I think he was in a bit of a bad situation...

    Same with on the offensive side, he can get to the rim, he just isn't strong enough to take the first bump. In the video there are a few clips of him driving into some tough crowds and avoiding contact. The thing I see is that he is splitting like 2-3 guys easily and getting to the rim past them, he just lacks the strength (and therefore body control) to put up a decent shot. Or he is being met at the restricted line and can't stop on a dime and go straight up and ends up with some shoulder contact which he can't finish through.

    The only thing that concerns me is he does need to learn how to be more unselfish, which I think Nurse and Bayno have done a great job teaching our team (look at comparison of last year to this)

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    Just thought of a good comparison for Lavine a poor mans Kerry kittles
    Not bad. I was thinking Kevin Martin myself....

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    A couple of them I'd love to get early in the 2nd round, Harrison twins, Glenn Robinson III, and Nick Johnson.
    I would like Aaron Harrison (the less talented one). Coming out of high school I always thought he would make the better pro. Plays off the ball well

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    What do we need ? Shot blocking power forward like Ed Davis was. Upgrade at back up point. A small forward to replace salmons. back up center, I don't like running small ball
    Amir Johnson is a great rim protector. Stop with the Ed Davis stuff. Please.

  2. #2402
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Absolutely want him.

    He is extremely quick on D and could stay in front of anyone, his main issue is strength (though he works hard in the gym so I don't think this will be a continuous issue). The defensive intensity can be brought, he does it occasionally, just needs to do it consistently. I think he was in a bit of a bad situation...

    Same with on the offensive side, he can get to the rim, he just isn't strong enough to take the first bump. In the video there are a few clips of him driving into some tough crowds and avoiding contact. The thing I see is that he is splitting like 2-3 guys easily and getting to the rim past them, he just lacks the strength (and therefore body control) to put up a decent shot. Or he is being met at the restricted line and can't stop on a dime and go straight up and ends up with some shoulder contact which he can't finish through.

    The only thing that concerns me is he does need to learn how to be more unselfish, which I think Nurse and Bayno have done a great job teaching our team (look at comparison of last year to this)



    Not bad. I was thinking Kevin Martin myself....



    I would like Aaron Harrison (the less talented one). Coming out of high school I always thought he would make the better pro. Plays off the ball well



    Amir Johnson is a great rim protector. Stop with the Ed Davis stuff. Please.
    Lavine doesn't play good defense if u don't believe me look at draftepress video judge for urself if u haven't watched him all year. Offensively he puts his head down and goes, yes he is fast but that enough to draft a guy that can not play in the half court?

    He is also 6'5 playing SG and doesn't not have the body to D up people like joe johnson , demar can't even check him lavine will get destroyed.

    Kevin Martin does not take many bad shots Lavine on the other hand!!!

    Amir great at pick and roll, decent off the ball shot blocker, runs the floor... He is terrible at posting up and not a great 1 v 1 defenders.

    The Harrison's I like I see a next level to them. Need to watch more.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #2403
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wil say this about Lavine so it's not all bad. If u put him in positions like corner 3 and give me solid screens he can be effective in SHORT spurts


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #2404
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But to me to stop him just take away transition baskets and he is done


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #2405
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    Lavine doesn't play good defense if u don't believe me look at draftepress video judge for urself if u haven't watched him all year. Offensively he puts his head down and goes, yes he is fast but that enough to draft a guy that can not play in the half court?

    He is also 6'5 playing SG and doesn't not have the body to D up people like joe johnson , demar can't even check him lavine will get destroyed.

    Kevin Martin does not take many bad shots Lavine on the other hand!!!

    Amir great at pick and roll, decent off the ball shot blocker, runs the floor... He is terrible at posting up and not a great 1 v 1 defenders.

    The Harrison's I like I see a next level to them. Need to watch more.
    I said "He is extremely quick on D and could stay in front of anyone", that draft express video I believe had a segment on exactly that. However he isn't strong enough to stop anyone, and doesn't give consistent effort. The ability is there, just with a little strength work and some consistency work he will be able to be a good defender (he just isn't yet). It's not like he is unable to keep up with people.

    6'5" is good size for a SG. Joe Johnson is an exception.

    Kevin Martin plays the similar type of basketball though, heavy with the transition/leak out and a lot of threes or 1-2 dribble pull ups, which is basically what LaVine's game is...

    All valid points about Amir. Now let's talk about Ed: average PnR, average post up, ok shot blocker, less mobile than Amir, unable to guard the PnR, not great in 1v1...so why do you want him so badly? He is basically a less hard working version of Hansborough


    *Edit: I don't know exactly how one would fit LaVine into our roster (especially with what moves I want to see done with the team), but I think he is going to be the "BPA" at 20...

  6. #2406
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    @Grindhouse.. I'm pretty sure everyone knows and is not underselling the weaknesses of LaVine, even without watching the DraftExpress vid. He's very young and he's a project with holes in his game. Of course if you are unwilling to take a risk on a player like him, then that's perfectly fair and a different argument, because he may or may not develop (high risk/high reward pick). For example his defense is fixable I think, he has poor technique which can be taught.

  7. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  8. #2407
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I only covet ed shot blocking and at least his willingness to try and post up.

    Ok Lavine is young and say u can teach him some of the things he is missing. He doesn't like contact that doesn't go away , huge problem.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #2408
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BigCamB wrote: View Post
    @Grindhouse.. I'm pretty sure everyone knows and is not underselling the weaknesses of LaVine, even without watching the DraftExpress vid. He's very young and he's a project with holes in his game. Of course if you are unwilling to take a risk on a player like him, then that's perfectly fair and a different argument, because he may or may not develop (high risk/high reward pick). For example his defense is fixable I think, he has poor technique which can be taught.
    Exactly...this is the 20th pick we are talking about. I wouldn't take him top 5 or anything

  10. #2409
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Toronto has two athletic SG. Why start again with a rookie who would just create a bigger logjam PF is logjammed too. If Cauley Stein is avail at #19 probably best choice and Elfrid Payton second #3. Ennis wouldn't start over Lowry if we resign. Trading up for Ennis only makes sense if we don't resign Lowry and it is a step back for at least one sewason. Payton would be an upgrade over GV and DeColo

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  11. #2410
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,875
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Anyone heard anything about this kid?
    Tweet from DraftExpress:
    "Ilja Gromovs, a 6-10 Latvian shot-blocker from Jurmala, born in 1994, will declare for the NBA draft, his agent Arturs Kalnitis informed us."

    The video shows a lot of blocks but little else (didn't see a shot other than an open dunk, didn't see any post move). Could be a good draft and stash guy in the 2nd round with the OKC pick.

  12. #2411
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Blocks never translate that's why Bachynski is low second round or undrafted rebounds, steals and fg% ft% are more important than blocks, points

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  13. #2412
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    9,465
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DeRozan
    Height w/shoes - 6' 6.5"
    Weight - 220
    Wingspan - 6' 9"
    Standing reach - 8' 6.5"

    Ross
    Height w/shoes - 6' 7"
    Weight - 199
    Wingspan - 6' 7.25"
    Standing reach - 8' 4.5"

    We need to find a legit SF!!! either by drafting one or free agent signing
    Masai treats the Knicks like they are his personal farm team system, where he can cultivate assets for the future. It's not right or fair, but he's THE WARLORD

  14. #2413
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jerami Grant is prototypical SF defensively just can't shoot probably a 2-3 year project. Better prospect than Jabari Parker if looking for Defense not Offense. He played the 4 so can guard the post and rebounds well instinctly( Horace Grants nephew ). WCS is better at #19 but he will go earlier unless his injury is worse than reported.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  15. #2414
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    DeRozan
    Height w/shoes - 6' 6.5"
    Weight - 220
    Wingspan - 6' 9"
    Standing reach - 8' 6.5"

    Ross
    Height w/shoes - 6' 7"
    Weight - 199
    Wingspan - 6' 7.25"
    Standing reach - 8' 4.5"

    We need to find a legit SF!!! either by drafting one or free agent signing
    Feeel yaa LOL.. that Melo vs Ross match up was HILARIOUS to watch..

  16. #2415
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Montrezl Harrell going back to school.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...2014-nba-draft

  17. #2416
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Montrezl Harrell going back to school.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...2014-nba-draft
    Harrell was growing on me and he was on my short list for the 19th/20th pick.. But good for him though. He seemed a bit too raw for the NBA at this point.

  18. #2417
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, he could move up into the lottery (or even top 10) next year. Or could drop out of the first round, but I'd bet on him moving up.

  19. #2418
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jerami Grant is declaring for the draft:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...cuse-nba-draft

    DraftExpress' mock has Toronto drafting him at 20th.

  20. #2419
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    3,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Toronto has two athletic SG. Why start again with a rookie who would just create a bigger logjam PF is logjammed too. If Cauley Stein is avail at #19 probably best choice and Elfrid Payton second #3. Ennis wouldn't start over Lowry if we resign. Trading up for Ennis only makes sense if we don't resign Lowry and it is a step back for at least one sewason. Payton would be an upgrade over GV and DeColo

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    You pick the BPA period.

    Are you saying you'll take Cauley-Stein over LaVine because we have Ross and DeRozan??
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  21. #2420
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You don't pick BPA at #20. The BPA in the lottery is smart strategy but later round BPA isn't good enough either you're drafting role players or poitential. Taking Embid for the Bucks when they have centers is BPA.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Page 121 of 337 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 171 221 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •