No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, Ginobli was drafted 57th, so maybe Ujiri will call up some scouting magic and do the same.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Why do teams draft euro players that they are positive will never play in the nba rather than Canadian players is beyond me. Just stash them in the cis
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
        Why do teams draft euro players that they are positive will never play in the nba rather than Canadian players is beyond me. Just stash them in the cis
        What? Is this a joke?

First off, until very recently (pretty much this year), the talent pool of Canadians (who mostly go to the NCAA) was far worse than Europe. Like laughably worse.

Second off, you can't stash a player in the CIS. If you could, then you would just send them back to the NCAA.

Third off, if you're talking about drafting CIS players...well they're just not good enough. That's why the overwhelming majority of Canadian talent goes to the NCAA (a lot of them via AAU).

Comment

• Actually CIS has very few rules. They have no practice limits, can have jobs while playing etc., IN THEORY you could draft a player and leave him in school... However, it's only been recent that CIS players have been offered NBA camp invites. The standard of ball is getting up there, but it's not high enough to risk the controversy of drafting a player and then letting them play in Canada as a 5th year senior.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Actually CIS has very few rules. They have no practice limits, can have jobs while playing etc., IN THEORY you could draft a player and leave him in school... However, it's only been recent that CIS players have been offered NBA camp invites. The standard of ball is getting up there, but it's not high enough to risk the controversy of drafting a player and then letting them play in Canada as a 5th year senior.
            Could you though? What are the NBA rules on drafted players?

*And what are CIS rules regarding such a thing? NCAA players are probably allowed to have jobs. They are not allowed to be paid (or to have been paid at any point) for playing the sport they are playing at college.

And anyway, even if you could, why in heck's name would you have him play in the CIS instead of stashing him in Europe or the D-League? Which are far above CIS for quality.

*My immediate response was this makes no sense because you'd only even theoretically be able to send a Canadian college student back to the CIS. And ain't nobody drafting CIS players right now. Peobably still a long ways away from that.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 1, 2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• NCAA you're only allowed to make $2000 annually -- so basically a summer job. CIS hockey goalies get one day contracts to fill in as 3rd backups when Canadian NHL teams have injuries fairly regularly. It's pretty much the wild West. There's not the threat of match fixing, and boosters aren't a thing.

A lot of the rules that the NBA follow are actually NCAA rules, or, moves encouraged by the NCAA. Standards in CIS sports are improving, but CIS probably can wait 10 years before implementing any real rules. Like you said there's no sense drafting a CIS kid. They could just as easily offer a kid a summer league spot, or a camp spot, keep cap space and not be forced to sign them.

Comment

NCAA you're only allowed to make $2000 annually -- so basically a summer job. CIS hockey goalies get one day contracts to fill in as 3rd backups when Canadian NHL teams have injuries fairly regularly. It's pretty much the wild West. There's not the threat of match fixing, and boosters aren't a thing.

A lot of the rules that the NBA follow are actually NCAA rules, or, moves encouraged by the NCAA. Standards in CIS sports are improving, but CIS probably can wait 10 years before implementing any real rules. Like you said there's no sense drafting a CIS kid. They could just as easily offer a kid a summer league spot, or a camp spot, keep cap space and not be forced to sign them.
                If you want to hold their rights you would need to draft them. More than once an American player has been drafted in the 2nd round and then sent to Europe for a year or two. Matt Bonner is a Prime example. Drafted by the Bulls, his rights were traded to Toronto who asked him to spend a year Europe with a promise to come back and have a chance to make the team in a year, we all know how that worked out. Another great current example is Nick Calathes, he was drafted by Minny, rights traded to Dallas and then to Memphis, where he now plays.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

NCAA you're only allowed to make $2000 annually -- so basically a summer job.
                  Just gonna pick this little line out and be a pain in the ass.

I don't think that's the rule. Can earn as much as you want.

But you can't use your likeness to earn money (sell your name/face for ads or whatever) and you're only allowed to earn enough money through professional play to cover your expenses.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                      Just gonna pick this little line out and be a pain in the ass.

I don't think that's the rule. Can earn as much as you want.

But you can't use your likeness to earn money (sell your name/face for ads or whatever) and you're only allowed to earn enough money through professional play to cover your expenses.
                      No.. it's a flat $2000 income annually. So if they want to work at McDonald's they can, but can't make more than $2000 doing it. The NCAA is a bunch of crooks.

McCowan mentioned this on his radio station once.. will try to find a link that confirms it.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        No.. it's a flat $2000 income annually. So if they want to work at McDonald's they can, but can't make more than $2000 doing it. The NCAA is a bunch of crooks.

McCowan mentioned this on his radio station once.. will try to find a link that confirms it.
                        I've been to multiple long ass meetings and had to fill out multiple long ass forms - I'd know

There's also zero sports betting allowed, including friendly brackets within a frat/team... some of the rules go a little overboard.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Here are the NCAA rules:
                          http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/complian...egulations.pdf

I don't see the $2000 limit in there, so maybe I'm wrong and I misheard McCowan or McCowan was wrong himself.

There is a $2000 stipend that hasn't been approved yet, to allow athletes to get up to $2000 extra on top of their scholarship, but that's not the same as a players income limit.

Comment

• This is what I could find:

NCAA rules permit most student-athletes not receiving a full athletic scholarship to work during the academic term.
                            Student-athletes receiving a full athletic scholarship may be employed during the academic term, provided they:
                            Receive permission for employment from the Compliance Office prior to starting work;
                            Have spent at least one academic year in residence at Northwestern University;
                            Are academically eligible to compete in intercollegiate athletics; and
                            Earn a maximum of $2,000 above a full grant-in-aid.
                            http://www.northwestern.edu/academic...uidelines.html

So basically partial scholarship athletes are allowed to work but full scholarship kids are limited to $2000 plus the value of a full grant-in-aid.

Comment

Here are the NCAA rules:
                              http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/complian...egulations.pdf

I don't see the $2000 limit in there, so maybe I'm wrong and I misheard McCowan or McCowan was wrong himself.

There is a $2000 stipend that hasn't been approved yet, to allow athletes to get up to $2000 extra on top of their scholarship, but that's not the same as a players income limit.
                              It effectively operates that way, it was the result of "Boosters" giving players high paying summer/part time jobs, free houses and cars that sort of thing to improve recruiting. That's why some players were suspended for trading stuff for tattoos, can't remember if the were basketball or football.

Doesn't matter too much now, the NCAA football & basketball programs are likely going to get killed off by the players "employee" class action suit. That will be fun to watch.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
                                the NCAA football & basketball programs are likely going to get killed off by the players "employee" class action suit. That will be fun to watch.
                                Don't understand this at all. The big schools, which almost always get the premium recruits, can well afford to pay, the lesser schools will get the leftovers offering only scholarships, just as they do now.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X