The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Because Colangelo has usually traded it to save $150K in a Sebastian Telfair trade or equivalent trade. ;p

One thing I like about Ujiri is his value on draft picks.
    True, but I meant in general. This 2nd round looks like one of the best ever for quality.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      True, but I meant in general. This 2nd round looks like one of the best ever for quality.
      True.

This draft was hyped for superstars originally but was always hyped about the depth of the talent pool.

Well, the superstars was a bit exaggerated but the depth is still there.

But time will tell definitively on both fronts.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        No, no, no, no, no, NO!!

Are we trying to compete for a championship next year? Not likely. We need to take the BPA, even if it's all up-side and potential. Don't limit yourself to older players.

When we got rid of Colangelo, we got rid of "accelerated rebuilds". Masai said that this is a 5 year project; a little success in year 1 doesn't really change that.
        1/ Love how you chop out the part where I mention that LaVine may be the best athlete available. That said, your explosive reaction insinuates that LaVine is a better player AND significantly better athlete than guys like TJ Warren, Early, Shabazz, ETAL. That's patently false.

2/ Improving is a very long walk. However, EVERY post that I've made on this subject is VERY clear. Teams improve from the deep bench forward. NOT from the starters down. The Raps need to improve their bench first. THEN they can find diamonds to polish into stars.

3/ I was one of the few people here who called out Colangelo for his high player turnover on this board. So, to accuse me of a Colangelo "accelerated rebuild" is comical. YOU are looking at trying to resolve the Raps problems in a single draft. I AM PROPOSING a strategy that looks multiple years into things. Look at what's available. Ask yourself if the Raps have the time to develop a player on the pay scale of a player this deep into the draft. NEXT YEAR the Raps get the worst pick of the Nugs, and the Knicks -- both potentially could be lottery picks (mainly because the Nugs are out West). Wouldn't THAT pick be more appropriate to swing for the fences? How am I proposing an accelerated rebuild if I'm suggesting that this is a year to swing for a single or double?

4/ BPA is a limited strategy. Most front offices place players into tiers. Tiers are tied to potential, skill, athleticism, and need. Again, ask yourself if there are PGs with the potential to be better than Shabazz this deep into the draft. Can Anderson become a better player than Early? His lack of athleticism suggests otherwise. LaVine is a wildcard, but I would avoid him for a plethora of reasons. Even though I would prefer more mature students Cauley-Stein mysteriously is on my list of players that I would look at. Why? Because he has more potential, a strong skill base, and is a serious athlete in comparison to bigs that would be available this deep into the draft.

The biggest place where the Raps can improve is through Ross and JV. The Raps are the only team in the playoffs starting 2 players in their second year (if I'm not mistaken). The long road suggests keeping the majority of this team together, letting Stone go, finding a younger player to replace Salmon, and trying to keep Pat, and GV. THEN add a mature kid who is okay with the bench and a clear role. Afterwards, assess needs vs assets and make the appropriate moves.

Colangelo was all about high player turnover, swinging for the fences while overpaying free agents, throwing away 2nd round picks, etc. That is literally the opposite of what I am suggesting.

Comment

• Did LaVine pass the ball once in that scouting vid? Vid makes him look like one of those kids at school that you can't stand who every single time he gets the ball, puts his head down and charges at the bucket then throws up some brick without looking at any teammate ( looking at the rim is also optional).

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            1/ Love how you chop out the part where I mention that LaVine may be the best athlete available. That said, your explosive reaction insinuates that LaVine is a better player AND significantly better athlete than guys like TJ Warren, Early, Shabazz, ETAL. That's patently false.

2/ Improving is a very long walk. However, EVERY post that I've made on this subject is VERY clear. Teams improve from the deep bench forward. NOT from the starters down. The Raps need to improve their bench first. THEN they can find diamonds to polish into stars.

3/ I was one of the few people here who called out Colangelo for his high player turnover on this board. So, to accuse me of a Colangelo "accelerated rebuild" is comical. YOU are looking at trying to resolve the Raps problems in a single draft. I AM PROPOSING a strategy that looks multiple years into things. Look at what's available. Ask yourself if the Raps have the time to develop a player on the pay scale of a player this deep into the draft. NEXT YEAR the Raps get the worst pick of the Nugs, and the Knicks -- both potentially could be lottery picks (mainly because the Nugs are out West). Wouldn't THAT pick be more appropriate to swing for the fences? How am I proposing an accelerated rebuild if I'm suggesting that this is a year to swing for a single or double?

4/ BPA is a limited strategy. Most front offices place players into tiers. Tiers are tied to potential, skill, athleticism, and need. Again, ask yourself if there are PGs with the potential to be better than Shabazz this deep into the draft. Can Anderson become a better player than Early? His lack of athleticism suggests otherwise. LaVine is a wildcard, but I would avoid him for a plethora of reasons. Even though I would prefer more mature students Cauley-Stein mysteriously is on my list of players that I would look at. Why? Because he has more potential, a strong skill base, and is a serious athlete in comparison to bigs that would be available this deep into the draft.

The biggest place where the Raps can improve is through Ross and JV. The Raps are the only team in the playoffs starting 2 players in their second year (if I'm not mistaken). The long road suggests keeping the majority of this team together, letting Stone go, finding a younger player to replace Salmon, and trying to keep Pat, and GV. THEN add a mature kid who is okay with the bench and a clear role. Afterwards, assess needs vs assets and make the appropriate moves.

Colangelo was all about high player turnover, swinging for the fences while overpaying free agents, throwing away 2nd round picks, etc. That is literally the opposite of what I am suggesting.
            I wish it were...but that conveyance (re Bargs trade) occurs in 2016. Good post.

Comment

...Teams improve from the deep bench forward. NOT from the starters down. The Raps need to improve their bench first. THEN they can find diamonds to polish into stars....The biggest place where the Raps can improve is through Ross and JV...
              I have been pointing to the bench as the simplest place for the Raps to (cheaply) make significant improvements. Also, given their potential, and the improvement we have seen in the last 6 weeks, I agree that both Ross and JV could explode their season averages next year.

Comment

I chopped a lot cause otherwise it becomes an unnecessarily long post. The LaVine part is irrelevant to the terrible statement made at the beginning that we need to "focus on older players who can contribute next season", which is a terrible strategy. The only teams who should draft like that are Miami, San Antonio (if they expect Duncan back) and perhaps OKC.

For your other points;

~ the team needs to improve in any way shape or form. Focusing strictly on a bench player to perform a role for next year is a continuation of your flawed initial statement. Typically a star player who is earning his "polishing" is doing so from the bench and is likely a better option than any career bench player.

~ regardless of your past comments, if you make ones like your flawed initial statement, you are subscribing to the same type of mentality; limiting the big picture goal to try and accomplish something next year is short sighted, aka - accelerated rebuild. It's also an ignorant assumption on your part that I am trying to solve everything in a single draft. What this team needs more of is talent; everything else is semantics. There isn't a single position that we are 100% set at for both starter and off-the-bench. Therefore, we need to draft the BPA available, with an eye on what position will have BPA available in the 2nd round (ie - PG should probably wait until the 2nd round due to the depth of talent there, unless it is someone special that falls to us).

~ BPA is not limited it's subjective. Entirely different. Trust in Masai and his team to evaluate players and make the right choice. While we all have different opinions on who is the BPA at any given slot, the only opinions that matter are in the Raps draft room. We are just here to discuss the players.

I agree, JV and Ross look like the best way for the Raps to improve right now. Adding another young stud to that trio only improves our chances.

Colangelo's vision was all about short-sighted moves instead of having and maintaining the big picture goals. Your suggestion of focusing on older players who can contribute right away is hand in hand with that philosophy.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
                  Did LaVine pass the ball once in that scouting vid? Vid makes him look like one of those kids at school that you can't stand who every single time he gets the ball, puts his head down and charges at the bucket then throws up some brick without looking at any teammate ( looking at the rim is also optional).
                  That is exactly who he is been saying he is S for months now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• What do we need ? Shot blocking power forward like Ed Davis was. Upgrade at back up point. A small forward to replace salmons. back up center, I don't like running small ball

Comment

• So that's nik, Anderson, stein if he falls to us, early, or Napier

Comment

• Looked like Lavine thought he was still in high school of most of that video... don't like those types of guys at all.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                          So that's nik, Anderson, stein if he falls to us, early, or Napier

Please god, I really hope we don't draft Napier.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            Looked like Lavine thought he was still in high school of most of that video... don't like those types of guys at all.
                            Lavines got attitude issues too.. I followed him with UCLA alot and his interviews are like Lebron's interviews after a loss. and he also mentioned he wouldnt like playing in cold weather cities even before he proved anything.. his body language is terrible ( watch the Duke blows out UCLA game).. shows no effort if the play is not for him... Most of that could be framed with his maturity and we can hope he grows out of it.. but then there are high end talents still trying to grow out of it (definitely not you Demarcus Cousin )

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                              Please god, I really hope we don't draft Napier.
                              Me to we have 5 PG's on this team already LOOOOOOL
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                Me to we have 5 PG's on this team already LOOOOOOL
                                4 of then should not be on the team

Comment

Working...
                                X