X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Montrezl Harrell going back to school.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...2014-nba-draft
    Harrell was growing on me and he was on my short list for the 19th/20th pick.. But good for him though. He seemed a bit too raw for the NBA at this point.

Comment

• Yeah, he could move up into the lottery (or even top 10) next year. Or could drop out of the first round, but I'd bet on him moving up.

Comment

• Jerami Grant is declaring for the draft:
        http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...cuse-nba-draft

DraftExpress' mock has Toronto drafting him at 20th.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
          Toronto has two athletic SG. Why start again with a rookie who would just create a bigger logjam PF is logjammed too. If Cauley Stein is avail at #19 probably best choice and Elfrid Payton second #3. Ennis wouldn't start over Lowry if we resign. Trading up for Ennis only makes sense if we don't resign Lowry and it is a step back for at least one sewason. Payton would be an upgrade over GV and DeColo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
          You pick the BPA period.

Are you saying you'll take Cauley-Stein over LaVine because we have Ross and DeRozan??
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• You don't pick BPA at #20. The BPA in the lottery is smart strategy but later round BPA isn't good enough either you're drafting role players or poitential. Taking Embid for the Bucks when they have centers is BPA.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
              You don't pick BPA at #20. The BPA in the lottery is smart strategy but later round BPA isn't good enough either you're drafting role players or poitential. Taking Embid for the Bucks when they have centers is BPA.

I think you always go with BPA, but the lower you get in the draft, the more positional need becomes a factor in the overall determination of BPA (age, skill, potential, attitude, etc... are all factors). If you determine that the BPA is a player at a position you're already deep in, then you make subsequent moves as necessary. You don't skip a legit BPA based solely on current positional needs.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                Jerami Grant is declaring for the draft:
                http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...cuse-nba-draft

DraftExpress' mock has Toronto drafting him at 20th.
                I'd really like for us to get Grant. If he's available at 20, he might be BPA, but he'll almost certainly be the best positional/style fit for us; he could be that guy who can eventually guard the big SFs (depending on measurements... if his size is really 6'8" or better, and he's got a frame that could have a 230-240 playing weight, then that's great. I've read everything from 6'6" to 6'9", and 190 to 217 in weight, although he apparently lost a bunch of weight due to illness last summer).

His shot needs lots of work, But if you can ever get him to figure it out, then you've got a pair of athletic 3-and-D terrors on the wings when you pair him with Ross.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                  You pick the BPA period.

Are you saying you'll take Cauley-Stein over LaVine because we have Ross and DeRozan??
                  CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I think you always go with BPA, but the lower you get in the draft, the more positional need becomes a factor in the overall determination of BPA (age, skill, potential, attitude, etc... are all factors). If you determine that the BPA is a player at a position you're already deep in, then you make subsequent moves as necessary. You don't skip a legit BPA based solely on current positional needs.
                  I re-post something from way earlier in this thread. My own post and a great follow-up from octothorp. BPA is not a simple concept. There are too many variables beyond pure physical talent, which is what it seems to me most people think dictate BPA.

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  But that's just not how things work. There are many factors involved.

-One is always need. Not every team will take BPA available because sometimes the talent difference between two players isn't big enough to take one over the other when one fills a need.
                  -Another factor is personality, which is tied to believing a player will fulfill potential. This is why many teams passed on Drummond. If the whole 2011 draft is re-done, Drummond doesn't even make it to 8, so the Raps would not get him.
                  -And honestly, another minor factor is positional certainty/uncertainty. The fact that Lavine is not a pure PG may actually work against him, especially when paired with other factors. If you can choose between a pure PG or Lavine with similar talent, why would you take Lavine? Same with a SG.
                  -Finally there's health, which can be a major factor. That's why a guy like Sullinger plummets. I don't think anyone who saw him play college ball is shocked by his NBA production. The question remains though, will he sustain it for 8-10 years? This doesn't appear likely to affect Lavine in any way though.

All these (and probably more) can affect draft stock, regardless of potential ceiling, because they will influence how execs see a guy's ability to fulfill that potential in the NBA, including trying to project him into a certain role/position.
                  octothorp wrote: View Post
                  In addition to all of this (which is very true and a good post), it's important to remember that teams don't necessarily rank players 1-30. Chad Ford has written extensively about how teams are increasingly using a 'tier' system, where they rank players into tiers, and then within each tier, rank players by their team need. There's no point in trying to figure out which of two equally skilled players is slightly superior, just so that you can make a pure BPA pick; yet teams are reluctant to pick a player from a lower tier just to accomodate team needs.
                  Is the difference between Cauley-Stein and LaVine actually that big? They'd probably be in the same tier. Doubt LaVine would be that much higher. Depending on how other factors play out, one of which is always need, I can easily see lots of teams wanting Cauley-Stein over LaVine.

Comment

• Lowry Ross Grant Amir and Val would be terrific defensively. Ross is passable at the 3 but lockdown at the 2 guarding SG and PG

Comment

• Cauley-Stein is returning.

Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                        Cauley-Stein is returning.

Now 2 guys who were projected between 10-20 have decided to go back
                        Willie Cauley-Stein and Montrezl Harrell
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• WCS going back is a blessing.If he was avail @20 too tempting.His injury killed his stock

Comment

• It's a shame that Will Caulie Stein is going back for his Junior Year, he would be a decent backup C for Valanciunas. But I think if we don't package our picks, this should be our draft this year

At No20 or 21 = Cleanthony Early, Adreian Payne, Jeremy Grant, TJ Warren, James Young
                            - I personally think Cleanthony Early is a Bonzi Wells 2.0, a great hustle player who can defend at multiple position, can play the PF, more like a big SF for the team, could potentially be our future SF
                            Sac Pick = PJ Hairston , Deonte Burton, Cory Jefferson, Thanasis Adetoukompo
                            - I think with the Sac pick, if PJ Hairston is available, we should draft him, he was considered a lottery pick last year but due to his trouble at College, his stock has fallen; however, he already play in the D-League so wouldn't mind a toughnosed player like Hairston in our roster, could potentially replace John Salmons. I see him having a PJ Tucker career in the future.
                            Thunder Pick = Alec Brown , Juvonte Reddic, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Russ Smith
                            - I think with the late pick, we should nab a center, backup center, think about Robert Sacre got picked last by the Lakers, we should grab Alec Brown. I see him having a Aaron Gray, Jake Voskull career in the future, could be a decent backup C, third string C on a good team.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                              It's a shame that Will Caulie Stein is going back for his Junior Year, he would be a decent backup C for Valanciunas. But I think if we don't package our picks, this should be our draft this year

At No20 or 21 = Cleanthony Early, Adreian Payne, Jeremy Grant, TJ Warren, James Young
                              - I personally think Cleanthony Early is a Bonzi Wells 2.0, a great hustle player who can defend at multiple position, can play the PF, more like a big SF for the team, could potentially be our future SF
                              Sac Pick = PJ Hairston , Deonte Burton, Cory Jefferson, Thanasis Adetoukompo
                              - I think with the Sac pick, if PJ Hairston is available, we should draft him, he was considered a lottery pick last year but due to his trouble at College, his stock has fallen; however, he already play in the D-League so wouldn't mind a toughnosed player like Hairston in our roster, could potentially replace John Salmons. I see him having a PJ Tucker career in the future.
                              Thunder Pick = Alec Brown , Juvonte Reddic, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Russ Smith
                              - I think with the late pick, we should nab a center, backup center, think about Robert Sacre got picked last by the Lakers, we should grab Alec Brown. I see him having a Aaron Gray, Jake Voskull career in the future, could be a decent backup C, third string C on a good team.
                              1st Time In My Life I Have Actually Seen An Intelligent Post By TenForTheWin
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• last year i mentioned him and he stayed in school but i like aaron craft a lot.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aaron-Craft-6361/

Comment

Working...
                                X