The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Wiggins might have the most potential but Randle and Parker are players and they are already there.
    Randle is already there. Parker is nearly there but still has a bit of a way to go.

But so what? We're not looking to immediately compete in 2014/15. We don't need someone who's already there. We need the best player with the highest ceiling, and that is definitely Wiggins. His first year will be a learning year, just like LeBron''s first year and KD's first year were learning years. We make sure we have a great coach like SVG making sure Wiggins is in the right learning atmosphere, we make sure his teammates are good guys (including one or two vets who can really show him the ropes) and we sit back and enjoy the ride.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
      Randle is already there. Parker is nearly there but still has a bit of a way to go.

But so what? We're not looking to immediately compete in 2014/15. We don't need someone who's already there. We need the best player with the highest ceiling, and that is definitely Wiggins. His first year will be a learning year, just like LeBron''s first year and KD's first year were learning years. We make sure we have a great coach like SVG making sure Wiggins is in the right learning atmosphere, we make sure his teammates are good guys (including one or two vets who can really show him the ropes) and we sit back and enjoy the ride.
      For me I'm not convinced he is the best player right now and I'm not convinced he'll be the best player in 4 years.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
        The important point here is "unless something drastic happens." Drafting most of these players is most likely getting a solid NBA-level starter but not a star. These guys don't move the needle for the Raps, and the Raps want to move the needle.

Honestly: I think Masai's gameplan is Wiggins. We can all talk about everybody else, but if he's smart, he is focused on getting Wiggins by any means necessary, up to and including trading Jonas, and certainly including tanking like mad to get a high pick (because if trading, say, Randle + future picks gets him Wiggins, he'll do it). Wiggins would almost certainly instantly multiply the Raptor fanbase by a factor of 10, because Canadians fucking love cheering for other Canadians like it is nobody's business, we just do, and Wiggins makes the Raptors relevant to Canadians who don't follow basketball. And on top of that Wiggins is going to be a gamechanger anyway so you would want to have him even IF he wasn't Canadian, but he is Canadian and that matters.
        Interesting concept. We all talk about Jonas being an "untouchable". But depending on how cunning Lieweke is, maybe Jonas is what it takes to nab Wiggins. If so, I could see management seriously considering it.
        Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Nov 20, 2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I'm sticking to my guns on this one:

The best thing that can happen to the Raptors in this draft is to pick #3.

Wiggins might have the most potential but Randle and Parker are players and they are already there.

If the Raptors pick at 3 and Wiggins is there, awesome. If not, they won't have the "Canada" angle making what should be a basketball decision.
          If we somehow end up with the 3rd pick next year, it'll be universally known how desperate the Raptors are to draft Wiggins. A team ahead of us could grab Wiggins and hope to leverage him in a trade.

"You want Wiggins that badly? Sure, we'll give him to you in exchange for your 2014 AND 2015 picks".

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            If we somehow end up with the 3rd pick next year, it'll be universally known how desperate the Raptors are to draft Wiggins. A team ahead of us could grab Wiggins and hope to leverage him in a trade.

"You want Wiggins that badly? Sure, we'll give him to you in exchange for your 2014 AND 2015 picks".
            That is where you've got to be happy with a franchise talent without a Canadian passport.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

That would be their opening offer. Masai would respond with "you can have New York's first-round 2016 pick and a couple of second rounders plus our pick this year" (since it effectively means we give up the picks we got in the Bargnani trade to turn our 2014 pick into Wiggins) and that would be an entirely fair price to offer: a swath of picks plus a 2014 first-rounder that probably will still be pretty good is not bad at all for trading Wiggins, and from our side, it means that the windfall we got in the Bargnani trade - a windfall nobody expected to get, by the way - would be put to best possible use.

Comment

• I want Wiggans on Toronto for toronto.
                I want wiggans in Kansas another year or two for Wiggans.

Comment

• lol WIGGANS

Comment

• If you had the 1st overall pick. A chance to draft Wiggins. A once in a generation type of talent. Would you really trade that pick to Toronto for NY's 2016 1st round pick, couple of 2nd rounders and Toronto's 2014 1st round pick? come on!

First, no one knows how good the 2016 draft class is.

Second, 2nd rounders in the NBA usually means bench warmer.

Finally, our own 1st round pick next year will be in the 10-15 range. There's still some good players projected to go in that range but they're no Wiggins.

Again, the only we get a top 5 pick or a chance to draft Wiggins next year is:

1. Tank
                    2. Package JV + draft picks for a top 5 pick.

That's it. Just being realistic folks.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• My Predictions

-Casey gets axed after the season or earliest Feb.
                      -Ujiri moves Gay for a 1st rounder and expiring + young unproven prospect to a team that is looking to make playoffs and compete.
                      -Ujiri pursues George Karl
                      -Karl declines, Ujiri pursues and attains Lionel hollins
                      -JV stays
                      -DeMar is shopped but ends up staying
                      -Ross is moved sold high because he is an unknown and Slam Dunk champion for a late first rounder and 2nd rounder.
                      -Lowry is traded for a young prospect or packaged with Ross for a good player (?)

Raps finish 12th

go into June's draft with

3 #1s 2 #2s
                      Last edited by Rapstor4Life; Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                        Again, the only we get a top 5 pick or a chance to draft Wiggins next year is:

1. Tank
                        2. Package JV + draft picks for a top 5 pick.

That's it. Just being realistic folks.
                        Who's to say these aren't realistic options?

Comment

• Wasn't able to go through all of the pages on the thead, but does anyone have a breakdown of Aaron Gordon's skills? I've got this feeling his is similar to Derrick Williams, and just curious if anyone thinks he can have a better NBA carrer and why?

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                            Finally, our own 1st round pick next year will be in the 10-15 range.
                            I don't think this is likely at all given how we're playing and the fact that the problems with our play are not easily resolved. If we had the draft today we'd be picking ninth, and it's safe to say that Brooklyn and New York will eventually have better records than us - both are having very bad starts, but New York needs defense and will probably be able to trade for it (since they're willing to move Shumpert, whom a lot of execs covet) and Brooklyn's dealing with injuries to its less old players like Williams and just has too much intelligence on its team to be awful forever. And then you have Washington and Cleveland; Washington had a terrible start but is improving (and will probably see a coaching change before long) and Cleveland has so many assets it can trade to upgrade itself that it is hard to see it remaining bad.

Honestly, if we simply stayed the course I think we end up with a 6th-8th pick. But we're not going to stay the course. That's obvious. And if Masai trades Lowry and doesn't get a starting PG to compensate and we have Stone or Buycks or (shudder) Augustin running the offence? We'll get maybe 25 wins if we're lucky.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Wasn't able to go through all of the pages on the thead, but does anyone have a breakdown of Aaron Gordon's skills? I've got this feeling his is similar to Derrick Williams, and just curious if anyone thinks he can have a better NBA carrer and why?
                              Gordon is already a much better defender than Williams is right now (let alone where Williams was when he was drafted). Gordon's the same size as Williams, which is why people make those comparisons, but his style of play is much more akin to Blake Griffin. Except unlike Griffin he knows how to defend reasonably well.

Comment

• Getting in this convo late, but from what i see Raps gotta get in the top six. Wiggins, Randle, Exum, Parker, Gordon, Smart. Anyone of those guys can be franchise players, after that is where the real drop off comes.

I think I can handle a bottom six record for one more year.
                                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                                X