The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    From what I've sen from Inglis, he is as much a tweener as Batum is.

Which is a good thing.
    You're going to have to date that signature by the way :P
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
      You're going to have to date that signature by the way :P
      Good point.

I still would draft Grant over Inglis, the combination of his athleticism/defense and his motor is just too appealing to look off.
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• Pl
        ayer of the Month

Dario Saric (6’10”, PF, 1994, Croatia, Cibona)

Dario Saric22 points 13 rebounds 6.5 assist on average, these are the numbers put up by Dario Saric during the ABA league final four. Eye opening numbers for a player that led his team to its first league title in its history. After a sloppy start, Cibona has improved through the season, through the developments of their young rising star. During the event held in Belgrade, the Croatian talent has shown usual offensive versatility and passing skills, especially in the transition game. But what has impressed the most has been his shot consistency, which is one of the keys to his future overseas. He shot 50% from three point (8-16 overall in two games), in different situations: catch and shoot and with the pull up jumper, showing confidence and poise. His mechanics are still not fluid enough, but the improvements are encouraging.

Jasmin Repesa, Saric's coach from the Croatian national team, and Slaven Rimac, the player's mentor in Cibona recently released some statements about him: "I think Dario should play for a top class European club, and improve his skills even further. Players who had already been formed before going overseas, received the necessary minutes in NBA, like Giriček and Delfino, my former players. If you go there young, it is possible that you will go without minutes, but also without development trainings for which there is just not time in NBA" - said Repesa.
        Slaven Rimac agreed with his colleague, but added that Šaric could find his place in NBA right away next season. "Dario is following the right path, and we want to create the best possible player. If he continues with this kind of work, I believe that he will be on NBA All-Star in near future. He should not hurry, but if some club can guarantee 20-25 minutes to him, that I believe he is ready to go."
        Artem Klimenko (7’1”, C, 1994, Russia, Autodor Saratov)

Klimenko became known to scouts and insiders during 2012 Adidas Eurocamp, when he was named Most Valuable Defensive Player, despite being one of the youngest players of the event. That was his sole international experience since he has never been called with Russian youth national teams during the previous years. Nevertheless his solid performances during this season in the Russian Superleague (13.5 points 6.7 rebounds and 0.8 blocked shots) has risen the level of attention on him from NBA scouts, making him a potential second rounder for this year’s draft.

Vasilije Micic (6’5”, PG, 1994, Serbia, Mega Vizura)

Micic has been one of the most solid performers through this season, leading his team to the 8th spot in his first season playing in the Adriatic league (12.1 pts 3.2 rb 5.8 ass). Unfortunately for him he injured his hand during a practice at the beginning of April. Due to this injury, the player has been out 6 weeks, missing the first half of the regular season of Serbian Superleague. Not exactly the best way to enter the most crucial period of the season for an NBA prospect of his caliber.
        Clint Capela (6’10”, PF, 1994, Switzerland, Chalon)

Capela's performance during the last Nike Hoop Summit was disappointing compared to the expectations for the Swiss athletic forward. In particular his inconsistency through the game and the lack solid fundamentals have arisen some question marks. His shot mechanics is the biggest issue, as highlighted by Michael Visenberg on his last report: “…the ball seems to slip from his fingers to palm before he releases… it's unlikely he will find much success (with his current form) when the game speeds up and the level of competition increases..”. Thanks to his amazing frame, athletic abilities and the solid performances he’s having in French Pro A (14.3 points 9 rebounds during the last 4 games) he’s still a legit potential first rounder, but it’s not impossible to see his name slip in the second round.
        http://www.nbadraft.net/internationa...o-saric-rising

Comment

Good point.

I still would draft Grant over Inglis, the combination of his athleticism/defense and his motor is just too appealing to look off.
          Why not both?

We draft two wings, one who is athletic and defensive, one who is long and defensive.
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
            Why not both?

We draft two wings, one who is athletic and defensive, one who is long and defensive.
            It seems slightly repetitive though. i just can't imagine grant operating on the perimeter on offense. a guy like that is just too hard to plan your team around, he'll be Fields 2.0

somewhere i read that, since every pick outside of the lottery has some flaws, a scout's job with late picks is to figure out who's flaws are more crippling, and who's more likely to overcome, or at least improve on those flaws. Grant is so bad at everything but athleticism, I'm not sure I can picture him succeeding in the NBA.

He could fill a Faried type role for us though, with the option to put him on perimeter players on the defensive end if we have too. He'd be a nice counter to Paul Pierce, but that's a pretty unique situation.
            "Bruno?
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Good point.

I am just not sold on Grant, I loved Horace, and Harvey was not bad either, but they both could shoot, why can't this Grant? I think lnglis will climb up the draft boards, my guess he is gone by 37.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Doubt both would be available, Inglis seems like the euro raiser of the draft. And drafting them both means our wing rotation would be DeRozan, Ross, Inglis, Grant, Fields. I'm not a big fan of playing both recruits together as it might force them to do too much on the offensive side. To avoid it, it would mean to bring Ross of the bench and i'd rather let him grow as a starter along DeRozan.

I would rather have one of them, especially Grant, and fill the other spot with a veteran like Marvin Williams or Vince Carter on short deals.
                Myself (March 2014):
                The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                  I am just not sold on Grant, I loved Horace, and Harvey was not bad either, but they both could shoot, why can't this Grant? I think lnglis will climb up the draft boards, my guess he is gone by 37.
                  I don't know why but Jerami has terrible mechanics, but his shot selection is rather good. I don't think it's a non-fixable thing.

His jumper could be hidden on the offensive side by playing PF too where he could just do what he does best there (crash the board and dunk everything, he has good hands and rebounding instincts.).

Myself (March 2014):

Comment

I don't know why but Jerami has terrible mechanics, but his shot selection is rather good. I don't think it's a non-fixable thing.

His jumper could be hidden on the offensive side by playing PF too where he could just do what he does best there (crash the board and dunk everything, he has good hands and rebounding instincts.).
                    If he's playing PF on the offensive side, than we need a 4 who can play from the perimeter. Someone like Adreian Payne. I just think he's really, really hard to plan around without THAT much upside. Those mechanics are just too terrible.
                    "Bruno?
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

If he's playing PF on the offensive side, than we need a 4 who can play from the perimeter. Someone like Adreian Payne. I just think he's really, really hard to plan around without THAT much upside. Those mechanics are just too terrible.
                      The 2 players I really want at 20 are Payne and Grant, Payne is vastly underrated because of his age and Grant appears to have tons of upside with his athleticism and wingspan. The worst case scenario for Grant appears to me as an explosive Luc Richard Mbah' A Moute which still fills a need on the raptors.

I fear Payne might be redundant with Patterson.

EDIT: Raptors to me are in a position to go with an High Risk, high reward prospect at the SF as we still have Fields on the roster for one year and he could learn behind them and playing occasional minutes.
                      Last edited by OptimalOptimist; Tue May 13, 2014, 01:00 PM.
                      Myself (March 2014):

Comment

Like Patrick Patterson?
                        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                          Like Patrick Patterson?
                          Yeah, good point.

But even still, those two have to always play together. It really reduces our versatility.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Yeah, good point.

But even still, those two have to always play together. It really reduces our versatility.
                            Yeah any player that you have to pair with another player to hide his deficiencies can really handcuff a team. I'd rather Capela or a big at 20 and inglis at 37
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• Intriguing prospect.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

Intriguing prospect.
                                Damn he's about five times quicker than Hibbert.

He'll be a huge project but in 3 or 4 years, if he stays healthy, and if he works hard, he definitely has the potential to be a half decent starter.

and damn, lol. his feet are ginormous. his sprint is hilarious.

i'd take him with our 3rd pick.
                                Last edited by stooley; Tue May 13, 2014, 02:46 PM.
                                "Bruno?
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X