The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Jerami Grant averaged better than 12 points and nearly seven rebounds a game for Syracuse and will likely be a first-round pick come draft day. He certainly improved those chances Thursday.

Grant, who was measured as a small forward, checked in with a standing reach of 8’11”, which just so happened to be higher than that of power forwards Aaron Gordon, James Michael McAdoo, Patric Young and Julius Randle.

Grant also tied Kyle Anderson for the longest wingspan (7’2.75”) of any small forward, and only five players in total, who just so happened to be centers or power forwards, had longer wingspans.

Versatility is so highly valued in the NBA, and former general manager Tom Penn thought Grant helped his stock in that department Thursday, via Mike Waters of Syracuse.com: “We start to think of him as power forward, a rebounder and shot-blocker. You can make a credible case based off these measurables of him as a four.”

If we are to peek ahead a bit, Grant could boost his stock even more Friday when players are measured for vertical leaps and participate in drills and sprints.

After all, it is his athleticism that immediately stands out about his game, not a jump shot or particularly great ball-handling skills. Presuming Grant impresses in the athletically based drills, he could hear his name called on draft day much sooner than some expect.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...om-day-1?tsm=1

This kid has Casey written all over him. Huge defensive potential. High motor. Would be perfect for the small Casey like to play at times. With LeBron, Melo, Johnson, Deng in the east you need to find a player that can at least some what match up with them. Putting Ross on those guys just isn't fair to his skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure that means he's versatile --- he can't dribble or shoot from the outside. Sounds like he's a PF. He's Manimal 2.0

Comment

• I want Vonleh more and more with each tweet:

Sean Deveney: Wow, Noah Vonleh has huge hands, measuring 11.75 inches. Second-biggest today were 10.5 inches. Kawhi Leonard's legendary mitts: 11.25 ins Twitter @SeanDeveney

His hands are bigger than Kawhi Leonard's!!!!

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Mentioned him a couple pages back. I don't know how the fan base would feel about that pick. His really Bargnani like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Some of the video I watched showed him making moves that Bargnani never made. He doesn't seem the least bit intimidated about getting into the paint. Of course, the clips I saw he was playing against players his own age...who didn't have the weight and strength of NBA players. It would be interesting to draft him with a second round pick and let him grow for a few years. Raps don't want too much youth on the team necessarily, and his development would probably be faster in Europe where he could get the minutes.

Comment

• I thought it would be cool to take a look back historically and see what kind of deals were made by teams in order to move up in drafts (into the lottery). Obviously drafts vary in strength, so this would need to be taken with a grain of salt, but if we're talking about the Raptors trying to move up, then I think this is a worthwhile endeavour.

2013:
          - Philly trades Jrue Holiday, Pierre Jackson and 42nd pick to NOLA for #6 and 2014 1st rounder (top 5 protect)
          - Utah trades #14 and #21 to Minnesota for #9.

- Boston trades #16 and 2 future second to Dallas for #14

2012:
          - None of note, although Houston did trade Chase Budinger for #18 straight up.

2011:
          - San Antonio trades George Hill to Indiana for #15, #42 and Erazem Lorbek's rights
          - This was as part 3 team deal but Charlotte essentially traded #19, Stephen Jackson and Shaun livingston for #7 (Sacramento had #7, Bucks were also in the deal)

2010:
          - None of note, Portland did trade Webster for #16 and Ryan Gomes though.

2009:
          - Wolves trade Randy Foye and Mike Miller to Wizards for the #5 Pick, Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Pecherov.

2008:
          - None of note, Grizzlies and Wolves made a deal to swap #3 and #5 but that doesn't pertain to us.

2007:
          - Sonics trade Ray Allen and #35 to the Celtics for #5, Wally Z and Delonte West

2006:
          - Memphis trades Shane Battier to Houston for #8 and Stromile Swift.

2005:
          - None of note.

2004:
          - None of note.

2003:
          - I believe Milwaukee traded Glenn Robinson to Atlanta for #8, but not 100% sure.

I bolded the trades for top 10 picks.

Comment

• Been thinking about how the Raptors could get into the top 10 so that they can get a legitimate player from the draft. But with the assumption that MU wants to keep the core which is JV, TR, DD, AJ with KL, GV and PP being resigned (ie, having his cake and eating it too).

If a team like Sacramento, Detroit or Cleveland is looking for a trade... than I'm sure all three are looking for veterans that can get them into the playoffs. Outside of our core we don't really have any good solid veterans that are worthy of a top 10 pick.

So that leaves the possibility of bundling a future pick with a bench player such as Hayes. SVG wants shooters. Other than Ross our only shooter is Novak who sucks. But if we offered #20, Novak, and our 2015 pick for their #8 pick (assuming they stay the same come the lottery). Do they accept a trade like that? Is it worth giving up a 2015 pick just to move up 12 spots?

But with the price tag of a lottery pick in 2014 being so high, it may not even be worth it to try to move up. Teams may be asking for a lot. Gortat who was so important to Washington was only worth pick #17 for example.

Comment

• Regardless of where he goes in the draft, would you guys trade Amir and our 20th for Vonleh? Would an opposing GM go for that?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                Regardless of where he goes in the draft, would you guys trade Amir and our 20th for Vonleh? Would an opposing GM go for that?
                There are certain teams in the lottery that want to win now. Lots of pressure by their fan base to have these teams get in the playoffs. So I could see this type of deal working out.

Milwaukee, Philly, Orlando, Boston and Utah would probably all say no as they are all probably fine with rebuilding. LA, Sacramento, Detroit, Cleveland, Denver may not.

Sacramento and LA (assuming Gasol leaves) could use PF's. Don't think Detroit (Smith), Cleveland (TT) or Denver (Faried) would want one.

Comment

Regardless of where he goes in the draft, would you guys trade Amir and our 20th for Vonleh? Would an opposing GM go for that?
                  I would do it. And I am a huge Amir fan. If there's a team in the 6-10 slot that is looking to win now, maybe they are interested.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    I would do it. And I am a huge Amir fan. If there's a team in the 6-10 slot that is looking to win now, maybe they are interested.
                    Agreed. And I don't think it would have a huge impact on how we play, or our on court success. Amir is an 'analytics dream', but he's far too inconsistent with the basic stat cats we need filled. If Noah could come in and produce even modestly, I think we'd be good for another shot at the playoffs at least, and then assuming he develops, we'd be ahead by year 2.

Comment

Would I? Yes.

Would a GM? I don't know.

Comment

• Trading Ross + 20th for Detroit's pick may very well be a possibility.

They need perimeter shooters BAD.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          There are certain teams in the lottery that want to win now. Lots of pressure by their fan base to have these teams get in the playoffs. So I could see this type of deal working out.

Milwaukee, Philly, Orlando, Boston and Utah would probably all say no as they are all probably fine with rebuilding. LA, Sacramento, Detroit, Cleveland, Denver may not.

Sacramento and LA (assuming Gasol leaves) could use PF's. Don't think Detroit (Smith), Cleveland (TT) or Denver (Faried) would want one.
                          I was thinking SacTo ... put Amir between Rudy and Cousins? That's pretty solid.
                          Pretty sure they were starting either Reggie Evans or Jason Thompson for most of last year...

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                            Trading Ross + 20th for Detroit's pick may very well be a possibility.

They need perimeter shooters BAD.
                            I think they keep it and pick McDermott

McDermott = Ryan Anderson
                            Drummond = Dwight Howard

Comment

• Toronto would also have the ability to resign Amir in 2015 if they wanted him back. Don't know how he'd feel about it though if we moved him to Sacramento of all places.

Comment

I was thinking SacTo ... put Amir between Rudy and Cousins? That's pretty solid.
                                Pretty sure they were starting either Reggie Evans or Jason Thompson for most of last year...
                                That's right where draftexpress has Vonleh falling right now as well.

Tough to get a salary match though. Maybe with Terry coming back?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X