No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, Cleveland again. They are incredibly lucky in the lottery, but incredibly unlucky in the actual draft.

The fact LAL and Boston didn't move into the top 3 throws some water on the "draft is rigged" fire.The top 3 picks are all going to markets no one gives a shit about, even in those cities.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I don't know why they would take Parker over Wiggins in Milwaukee. Antetokounmpo seems like a natural SF. Parker may not fit well at the 4, and if he does they have a glut of bigs and lots of money invested in them. Wiggins projects to be able to play SG or SF. A wing tandem of Giannis and Wiggins could be insane defensively. I think it makes way more sense for them to draft Wiggins.
      I really don't think Wiggins is a SG. Why take arguably the best player in the draft and then force him to play out of position? Cleveland tried that with Anthony Bennett and it blew up in their face. Also, this team called the Raptors tried it with this guy called Bargs thinking he could play center. We all know how that worked out. Forcing a square peg into a round hole is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

• Cavs trading that pick to us before the season starts. Book it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          I really don't think Wiggins is a SG. Why take arguably the best player in the draft and then force him to play out of position? Cleveland tried that with Anthony Bennett and it blew up in their face. Also, this team called the Raptors tried it with this guy called Bargs thinking he could play center. We all know how that worked out. Forcing a square peg into a round hole is a recipe for disaster.
          The difference between the 2 and 3 is not that big. Usually the issue is lacking speed to defend. Wiggins is unlikely to have that issue. He's quick and long with freakish athleticism. They are the easiest positions to switch guys between. And Wiggins looks to have the foundation of what could turn into an excellent 3 pt shot.

Your comparisons are terrible too. George can play SG and SF. So could Carter and McGrady. So could Jordan. So could Dr. J. It's really not at all uncommon. If you're tall enough and quick enough, there's no problem. It's not at all like trying to move a guy between SF and PF, or PF and C.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Too bad for the Lakers.

Cleveland need to trade a bunch of their young players to create some balance.
            This might have been the worst thing to happen to them.

Their starting lineup looks like

Kyrie
            Tristan
            AB
            Waiters
            Wiggins/Parker

There are not enough basketballs to go around for those kids (They all need the ball in their hands). Also, not that fast for such a young lineup. And none of those 5 (unless they get Parker) you would say has a high B-Ball IQ. I think this pick is going to be available if a team is willing to take Waiters.
            Said no one ever.
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

The difference between the 2 and 3 is not that big. Usually the issue is lacking speed to defend. Wiggins is unlikely to have that issue. He's quick and long with freakish athleticism. They are the easiest positions to switch guys between. And Wiggins looks to have the foundation of what could turn into an excellent 3 pt shot.

Your comparisons are terrible too. George can play SG and SF. So could Carter and McGrady. So could Jordan. So could Dr. J. It's really not at all uncommon. If you're tall enough and quick enough, there's no problem. It's not at all like trying to move a guy between SF and PF, or PF and C.
              Fair enough.

In terms of what I was saying though, I felt that Parker might be a better immediate fit given the Bucks' current roster. If OJ Mayo was to have a comeback season, then it might payoff to have taken Embiid or Parker over Wiggins.

That being said, having Giannis and Wiggins as your wing players does indeed sound deadly on defence and on the fast break.
              I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
              -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Well agree to disagree then. I think Wiggins will become the best SF in the game. I think he would struggle to defend quick SG's, and getting abused on defense is a quick way to kill a guys confidence (or make him stop giving a shit on that end).

The interchangeability of SG and SF is way overblown in my eyes. We have 2 SG's on our team in DD and Ross and zero SF, and it showed on defense.

Basically, if you have a guy who can be the best SF in the game, play him at SF. Move alphabet soup to another position. He is a nice player, but no where close to Wiggins in my eyes.

Comment

Wow, Cleveland again. They are incredibly lucky in the lottery, but incredibly unlucky in the actual draft.
                  Incredibly lucky in the lottery, incredibly idiotic in the actual draft.

It's not poor luck to blow all the good fortune you receive, it's just sheer stupidity. With a healthy dose of hubris.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    Incredibly lucky in the lottery, incredibly idiotic in the actual draft.

It's not poor luck to blow all the good fortune you receive, it's just sheer stupidity. With a healthy dose of hubris.
                    Well, in their defense. Irving was and is still the best player from that draft.

Anthony Bennett doesn't look great so far but no one from that draft has been terribly impressive yet. It's MCW and a bunch of meh players.

Their biggest fuck up was passing on JV to take Tristan Thompson, and TT and JV aren't that far off in terms of production right now.

Comment

Their biggest fuck up was passing on JV to take Tristan Thompson, and TT and JV aren't that far off in terms of production right now.
                      No, their biggest fuckup was passing on Andre Drummond, Damian Lillard and Harrison Barnes (and heck, even T-Ross) for Dion Waiters in 2012.

Comment

Well agree to disagree then. I think Wiggins will become the best SF in the game. I think he would struggle to defend quick SG's, and getting abused on defense is a quick way to kill a guys confidence (or make him stop giving a shit on that end).

The interchangeability of SG and SF is way overblown in my eyes. We have 2 SG's on our team in DD and Ross and zero SF, and it showed on defense.

Basically, if you have a guy who can be the best SF in the game, play him at SF. Move alphabet soup to another position. He is a nice player, but no where close to Wiggins in my eyes.
                        On DeMar and Ross, it's because neither guy has the height/size for SF in every matchup. Skill set wise it is not a problem.

Wiggins definitely looks to have the physical tools to play either spot. He is not too slow to play SG. He also actually might suffer more defensive issues early in his career at SF since he still needs to fill out his frame quite a bit. And really, how many quick SGs are there to worry about? I'd say less than there are big SFs to worry about.

And back to the original point, I was saying it makes more sense to draft Wiggins than Parker for Milwaukee. Parker has positional uncertainty. He definitely cannot slide to SG. And he may not be able to play PF. He'd be a much worse pairing with Po in terms of trying to fit guys in spots they actually will thrive in.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          No one here has mentioned it yet. But i cna see the Cavs trading that pick to Minny for Kevin Love.
                          Yeah, a lot of people have been suggesting that lately: Love for the #1, Tristan Thompson, and some other picks and young players (Karasev/Bennett/Delladova/etc.). It's a Hail Mary play: either hope that Love acts as a reason for LeBron to act on his option and head to Cleveland in 2014, or that Love gets them into the playoffs and they can get LeBron in 2015 and also can re-sign Love.

The fact that it's a Hail Mary play makes it all the more likely for Cleveland, because they are fundamentally kind of a dumb team who likes to make big dramatic gestures.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                            No, their biggest fuckup was passing on Andre Drummond, Damian Lillard and Harrison Barnes (and heck, even T-Ross) for Dion Waiters in 2012.
                            Even Waiters didn't look bad at the time. Drummond was a massive question mark, so was Barnes, and Lillard plays the same position as Irving. That draft just kinda sucked. Thomas Robinson I thought would be pretty damn good, and.... not so much.

Comment

On DeMar and Ross, it's because neither guy has the height/size for SF in every matchup. Skill set wise it is not a problem.

Wiggins definitely looks to have the physical tools to play either spot. He is not too slow to play SG. He also actually might suffer more defensive issues early in his career at SF since he still needs to fill out his frame quite a bit. And really, how many quick SGs are there to worry about? I'd say less than there are big SFs to worry about.

And back to the original point, I was saying it makes more sense to draft Wiggins than Parker for Milwaukee. Parker has positional uncertainty. He definitely cannot slide to SG. And he may not be able to play PF. He'd be a much worse pairing with Po in terms of trying to fit guys in spots they actually will thrive in.
                              I completely agree they should draft Wiggins over Parker.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                                I think it's a draw. You could make an argument for both courses being totally wrong....

They could've had something like Irving, JV and Barnes....

Or Irving, Thompson and Drummond/Barnes

Probably wouldn't take Lillard given Irving being there. And you can also make the case for Kawhi Leonard or Klay Thompson, especially Kawhi who was in the top 10 in more than one mock draft and would not really have been a bigger reach than picking Tristan Thompson at #4, as they were in the same range in many mocks I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X