The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I think it's a draw. You could make an argument for both courses being totally wrong....

They could've had something like Irving, JV and Barnes....

Or Irving, Thompson and Drummond/Barnes

Probably wouldn't take Lillard given Irving being there. And you can also make the case for Kawhi Leonard or Klay Thompson, especially Kawhi who was in the top 10 in more than one mock draft and would not really have been a bigger reach than picking Tristan Thompson at #4, as they were in the same range in many mocks I think.
    I remember the Raps heavily considering Kawhi with the #5 pick, and bet we would have taken him had JV not been there.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      I remember the Raps heavily considering Kawhi with the #5 pick, and bet we would have taken him had JV not been there.
      What scared me was hearing BC talk about Bismack as an option....He was the guy I wanted to stay away from the most. Would've been fine with Kawhi or Kemba.

Comment

• Can't see Cleveland trading the #1. They have to get one right out of 3 chances and this may be the year they do it.

After sucking canal water all year don't see the Bucks or Philly trading either and Orlando stays as they can get either of Smart or Exum to fill their need at the point. Not sure what Utah does at 5 but I think they stay and take who Orlando doesn't.

That leaves Julius Randle at the 6 spot and he IMHO would be worth trading up for.. but its with those scumsuckers in Boston and I can't see them making any deal with a division rival. And after that the talent level drops off and levels off.....So I see the Raps either waiting till 20 or maybe cooking up something with Orlando that can land them Tobias Harris or going full circle and working something out with Golden State for Harrison Barnes.

Is our 20th this year plus PPat enough to get Harris out of Orlando ?
        Is our 20th to Golden State plus Amir enough to get Barnes ?
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue May 20, 2014, 10:33 PM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
          Can't see Cleveland trading the #1. They have to get one right out of 3 chances and this may be the year they do it.

After sucking canal water all year don't see the Bucks or Philly trading either and Orlando stays as they can get either of Smart or Exum to fill their need at the point. Not sure what Utah does at 5 but I think they stay and take who Orlando doesn't.

That leaves Julius Randle at the 6 spot and he IMHO would be worth trading up for.. but its with those scumsuckers in Boston and I can't see them making any deal with a division rival. So I see the Raps either waiting till 20 or maybe cooking up something with Orlando that can land them Tobias Harris or going full circle and working something out with Golden State for Harrison Barnes.

Is our 20th this year plus PPat enough to get Harris out of Orlando ?
          Is our 20th to Golden State plus Amir enough to get Barnes ?
          I'm not sure what Utah wants to do, but I'm not sure they take the leftover PG between Exum and Smart. They have needs pretty much everywhere else. Kanter's struggled to develop as hope, so I could see them taking either Randle or Vonleh. Or reaching/trading for a wing prospect like Harris. Of course it's also possible they take Exum/Smart and trade Burke.

Comment

I'm not sure what Utah wants to do, but I'm not sure they take the leftover PG between Exum and Smart. They have needs pretty much everywhere else. Kanter's struggled to develop as hope, so I could see them taking either Randle or Vonleh. Or reaching/trading for a wing prospect like Harris. Of course it's also possible they take Exum/Smart and trade Burke.
            Yeah maybe Utah takes Vonleh as the planned C to take over for Kanter down the road as Randle projects as a 4. I do like Harris down in Orlando but they must as well. Orlando is starting to take shape now. Smart/Exum at point. Afalo and Oladipo on the wings as 2 and 3 and with Harris and Nicholson at PF and Vucevic in the middle. If they can score Gary Harris out of MSU at 12 that gives them added depth at the 2. Crap...in a couple of years they might forget Dwight.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue May 20, 2014, 10:48 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

I'm not sure what Utah wants to do
              They want to trade the #5 and Enes Kanter to Cleveland for the #1 pick so they can get Jabari Parker. It's a really good deal for both teams: Utah wants Jabari and doesn't really need Kanter that badly, Cleveland gets a solid presence at center and doesn't have to drop too far down.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                They want to trade the #5 and Enes Kanter to Cleveland for the #1 pick so they can get Jabari Parker. It's a really good deal for both teams: Utah wants Jabari and doesn't really need Kanter that badly, Cleveland gets a solid presence at center and doesn't have to drop too far down.
                But then who does Cleveland take at 5? Smart? Randle?

And would you rather Kanter or Embiid/Wiggins?

Don't see how it's a great deal for Cleveland.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  Are you kidding me right now?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                  Why do we have to be so PC on an Internet forum? Didnt you guys say to treat this like you're at a bar drinking with your buddies?

I'd never wish a career ending injury on anyone, as I'm sure most of you wouldn't. But at a bar with my buddies is where I'm free to say whatever the hell I want. Perhaps it should be "pretend you're having an engaging discussion about basketball with your middle school principal."
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                    Why do we have to be so PC on an Internet forum? Didnt you guys say to treat this like you're at a bar drinking with your buddies?

I'd never wish a career ending injury on anyone, as I'm sure most of you wouldn't. But at a bar with my buddies is where I'm free to say whatever the hell I want. Perhaps it should be "pretend you're having an engaging discussion about basketball with your middle school principal."
                    Absolutely I did say treat this place like you're at the bar with your buddies but use some common sense. Have fun, but be respectful. I don't understand why this is a unfathomable concept.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                      DeanonDraft's new draft rankings are up, and they're interesting given that they're contrarian (these are how he thinks players should go, not how he thinks they will go).

1. Joel Embiid
                      2. Dante Exum
                      3. Marcus Smart
                      4. Jabari Parker
                      5. Jusuf Nurkic
                      6. Andrew Wiggins
                      7. Aaron Gordon
                      8. Noah Vonleh
                      9. Tyler Ennis
                      10. KJ McDaniels
                      11. Clint Capela
                      12. Nik Stauskas
                      13. Kyle Anderson
                      14. Elfrid Payton
                      15. Gary Harris
                      16. PJ Hairston
                      17. Kristaps Porzinglis
                      18. Damien Inglis
                      19. Jordan Adams
                      20. Spencer Dinwiddie
                      21. Isaiah Austin
                      22. Julius Randle
                      23. Dario Saric
                      24. Jarnell Stokes
                      25. TJ Warren
                      26. Mitch McGary
                      27. James Young
                      28. Nikola Jokic
                      29. Adreian Payne
                      30. Shabazz Napier
                      I talked about spencer way back in this massive thread he is really really fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They could take Exum and play him with burke
                        Exum is 6'6
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          They could take Exum and play him with burke
                          Exum is 6'6
                          I honestly don't think Exum makes it to 5, so I think it's more likely to be Smart, and that pairing is probably not ideal. Part of the intrigue with Smart is playing him as a big PG, not as an undersized SG (who's actually not a good enough shooter at this point as well).

Comment

I honestly don't think Exum makes it to 5, so I think it's more likely to be Smart, and that pairing is probably not ideal. Part of the intrigue with Smart is playing him as a big PG, not as an undersized SG (who's actually not a good enough shooter at this point as well).
                            Yeah Orlando seems to really like him

They could draft Randle or Vonleh and ship out Kanter(Can't believe people thought he would be better then Jonas)
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Chad Fords Mock Draft 6.0

Elfrid PaytonCOLLEGE: Louisiana LafayetteAGE: 20Class: JrHT: 6-4WT: 185POS: PG
                              Both Kyle Lowry and Greivis Vasquez are free agents this summer. While the Raptors would like to sign them both, Payton offers them some important insurance. In fact, even as a prospect he's probably a better than Vasquez from day one. Payton is the biggest sleeper in the draft. With his length, athleticism and defense I could see him going significantly higher than this, but I don't think he gets past Toronto if he's still on the board.

This starting to become consensus on most mock drafts. I would believe it if Vasquez wasn't putting up pics of himself in Raptors/OvO gear in every post on IG. Knowing Casey no way that Payton plays over Vasquez doesn't matter how much better he is on D. I just don't see Masai picking a 3rd string PG with that pick.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Chad Fords Mock Draft 6.0

Elfrid PaytonCOLLEGE: Louisiana LafayetteAGE: 20Class: JrHT: 6-4WT: 185POS: PG
                                Both Kyle Lowry and Greivis Vasquez are free agents this summer. While the Raptors would like to sign them both, Payton offers them some important insurance. In fact, even as a prospect he's probably a better than Vasquez from day one. Payton is the biggest sleeper in the draft. With his length, athleticism and defense I could see him going significantly higher than this, but I don't think he gets past Toronto if he's still on the board.

This starting to become consensus on most mock drafts. I would believe it if Vasquez wasn't putting up pics of himself in Raptors/OvO gear in every post on IG. Knowing Casey no way that Payton plays over Vasquez doesn't matter how much better he is on D. I just don't see Masai picking a 3rd string PG with that pick.

I really like Payton. I would not at all be bothered by the Raps taking a possible 3rd string PG with the 20th pick (or even moving up for Ennis). It's always good to have that insurance if one of Vasquez or Lowry is not re-signed. Also Vasquez did a good job playing as a SG this year and he's generally a bit less exposed quickness-wise on D there. Also can't forget that even if both are re-signed, Vasquez may be for just one year if they can't agree on a long contract and he just signs for the qualifying offer.

Comment

Working...
                                X