The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    You can't trade consecutive picks (2015+2016) and Philly is a VERY well managed team at the moment. They're not going to trade a potential superstar for mediocre players like Waiters and Bennett.
    AH OK then to fix that clerical error Cleveland offers a first in 2015 and 2017. Talent is in the eye of the beholder. Its sports. You never really know what is going to happen till it does.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Shabazz reminds me more of Augustin than Ennis. Ennis to me is more of a George Hill type of PG.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        Shabazz reminds me more of Augustin than Ennis. Ennis to me is more of a George Hill type of PG.
        Don't think Hill is a great comparison either. Ennis has much better court vision and passing ability than any of those guys.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          Shabazz reminds me more of Augustin than Ennis. Ennis to me is more of a George Hill type of PG.
          He actually has drawn many comparisons to George Hill. Many people slight his footspeed as an impediment at the NBA level, but I don't see it that way. He's just.... smooth. Even Hill is too mechanical at times with his flow. Ennis highlights won't need a phantom or extra slow-mo... he's slows the game down quite a lot as it is.

As for Cleveland or Bucks trading a their picks, don't be delusional guys. They won't. You don't trade the first overall pick in the most hyped draft ever because you feel like it. The Raptors would have to trade in half their starting roster including DD to simply be in the conversation.
          Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
            Will Philly do it ?? I don't think so ... They probably would want Thompson in there as well or instead of Bennet ... Bennet has ZERO value right now. But even if they want Thompson, I will do it. Imagine a line up or ... Kyrie, Wiggens, Parker and James in 2 years ... Hello , 5 more straight ring please.
            If Philly asked to sub in Thompson for Bennett or even add Thompson to the package Cleveland does this for the potential of
            Embiid at C...
            Wiggins at SF
            Irving at PG
            Kaserev/Miles at SG and
            Insert Here at PF.

Problem for Cleveland is that they are all young and they may take a step back this year 14-15. But the potential is there for years to come if potential turns into actual. I don't think the odds are high on James coming back to Cleveland but this lineup may keep Irving in the fold and Waiters who he hates is gone.
            Philly looks like

MCW at PG
            Noel at C
            Bennett/Thompson at PF
            Thad Young at SF
            Waiters at SG

plus 5 1st round picks over the next 3 years.You can patch a lot of holes with five (5) first round picks.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed May 21, 2014, 02:19 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              Cleveland could make out like bandidts here and rectify some past sins. They could possibly trade hometown boy Dion Wiaters + Anthony Bennet + 2015 first + 2016 first to Philly for this years 3rd overall. Philly adds top talent at affordable prices to MCW and Nerlens Noel for round 2 of the rebuild. They get a SG which they don't have and PF which they don't have and two future firsts.
              Cleveland then takes Embiid at 1 and then takes one of Wiggins/Parker after the Bucks make their choice.
              No shortage of what ifs at draft time..

As for the Raps.. The Mendoza Line for Tier 1 talent arguably ends at 6 or 7. We will get a solid rotation player at the 20 ( Anderson, Hood, Payton, Payne, Warren) which would be about 8th spot on the bench and we can take a project at 37 (Stokes / McGary). Try to sign Monroe as a RFA (likely have to not pick up Amirs option and drop DeColo's contract to free up capspace) or if not that perhaps put out an offer on Luol Deng to fill the SF void that we have.
              Again. no shortage of chess moves at draft and FA time.
              I like how this man thinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Chad Ford chat wrap today:

Harry (Miami)

Based on last night's surprising outcome of the lottery and Cleveland getting the first pick in the draft, which prospect is the best "fit" for the Cavs? Is there a player that is clearly much better than the rest? Thanks...

Chad Ford
                (1:06 PM)

I think Jabari Parker has been a top their board most of the year. It makes sense. He's the most NBA ready and with Luol Deng's future hazy, it's easy to see Parker (who has some statistical comps to Deng) as a replacement who can help them right away. However, there are concerns about his defense on an already poor defensive team. There are also concerns that he doesn't have the long-term star potential that the Cavs crave. They also have a need at the five. Varejao is 32 years old and they need a long term replacement. Joel Embiid has as much upside as anyone in the draft and would be perfect. However, the back concerns are real. The Cavs don't even know yet whether they'll get him in for medicals. And he's the least NBA ready of the prospects. That leaves Wiggins. Wiggins is a balance between the now and the future. Addresses defensive needs right away. Takes care of some of the issues they have with a Dion Waiters/Kyrie Irving backcourt. Can play the 2 and the 3. And he has star potential. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Different people in the Cavs have different opinions. But in totality, I think Wiggins is the favorite.
                Summary: blah blah blah Wiggins.

Dexter (Despair, UT)

If the Jazz cannot come away with Wiggins, Parker, or Exum, this entire season has been a waste. Any teams willing to trade in the top 3?

Chad Ford
                (1:19 PM)

I wouldn't go that far, though I understand the despair. The top tier of this draft is widely believed to go 4 deep and the Jazz are sitting at 5. A couple of things. I think there's a chance Dante Exum could be there at 5. If he is, I think they snag him. Two, the Jazz do have assets if they are really sold on Parker or Wiggins. They could package 5, 23 and perhaps a player like Alec Burks or Enes Kanter to move up a few spots. But you have to really, really love those guys to do that. If they stay at 5, I have them with Vonleh, just because he has the ability to stretch the floor and can play both the four and the five -- versatility the Jazz I think could capitalize on. Plus, I think Vonleh is a real sleeper. Would Jazz fans really be bummed if I told them they were getting the next Chris Bosh?
                How nice would Vonleh be next to JV? Oh the dreams.

Brian (San Diego)

With the Lakers falling another spot to 7 and with no likely stars available do you seen them trading this pick?

Chad Ford
                (1:25 PM)

Yeah, I think they are in the same boat as the Celtics. So much for a conspiracy theory to give the Lakers or Celtics the No. 1 pick. If Julius Randle or Marcus Smart are there, they are two players who I think could help them right now and could be intriguing. Dario Saric, if he was willing to come right now, would also be a guy they'd give a long look to.
                If Lowry decides to leave, would anyone else be totally content taking on Nash and getting their pick in exchange for S&T plus a couple of 2nd rounders?

Mike (Philly, PA)

Do we expect the Kings to trade their pick for a player? If so, what are some realistic targets you think they would want for that 8 pick?

Chad Ford
                (1:28 PM)

Yep. Kings are also trying to trade. Have a ton of young players. Really want to make the playoffs next year. It's so funny, we've been talking about how great this draft is, but so many teams in the lottery this year have no patience. They want to win now. Makes for an awkward fit with the draft and means we could see a lot of trades in the coming weeks. If the Kings keep the pick I think Marcus Smart is just a no-brainer here. Defense, toughness, leadership, size for position. If Smart is off the board, I wonder if they'd try to convert Gary Harris to the point. I think he could make some sense there.
                Any chance of selling the Kings on a Gay-DeRozan pairing?

Noah (L.A.)

Is a mock draft for the Suns pointless? I feel like they'll be moving around a lot of picks on the day.

Chad Ford
                (1:40 PM)

Probably. They are another team with an eye on being a playoff team next year and middling firsts probably don't move the needle much. I think his draft is deep and there are players there I like -- like UCLA's Zach LaVine, and Kentucky's James Young etc. But I could see the Suns trying to pawn these picks off on teams willing to give them stronger contributors in return.
                "Mr. McDonough? There is a call for you on line 2. Masai Ujiri."

Steve (L.A.) [via mobile]

What are your sleepers in this draft?

Chad Ford
                (1:44 PM)

I'm a big Elfrid Payton fan. Think he's a unique player with length, athleticism, is a real point guard, defends. Just needs to work on his shooting. He's also really young for his class. If he were at Kentucky, he'd be a Top 10 pick in my opinion. I think teams are probably sleeping on Jarnell Stokes. Rebounding translates. Mitch McGary, if his back is OK, is another one who might be too low. I also think UNLV's Khem Birch has a role in the league.
                Lots of people touting Payton. Whoever was really touting Stokes - there you go.

Dan (Chicago, IL)

You said in you mock draft that multiple top 7 teams are looking to trade out. What would it take for the Bulls to move into the top 7? Would the 16th and 19th picks, along with future second rounder or two do it?
                Chad Ford
                (1:49 PM)

I don't think so. Aggregating mid first round picks rarely gets you that high. This isn't the NFL draft. There is a significant talent drop off from 7 to 16. I think the Bulls would have to include other assets to get that high.
                Cain (Tempe)

Any chance the Suns package their draft picks and move into the top 5?
                Chad Ford
                (1:51 PM)

Again, it doesn't quite work that way in the NBA Draft. One late lottery pick, a mid first rounder and a late first rounder don't equal a Top 8 pick. Sorry Suns fans.

Preach, Brother Chad. It isn't the NFL. Value in picks are exponential.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Chad Ford chat wrap today:

Summary: blah blah blah Wiggins.

How nice would Vonleh be next to JV? Oh the dreams.

If Lowry decides to leave, would anyone else be totally content taking on Nash and getting their pick in exchange for S&T plus a couple of 2nd rounders?

Any chance of selling the Kings on a Gay-DeRozan pairing?

"Mr. McDonough? There is a call for you on line 2. Masai Ujiri."

Lots of people touting Payton. Whoever was really touting Stokes - there you go.

Preach, Brother Chad. It isn't the NFL. Value in picks are exponential.
                  Really like this Vonleh kid too.

Comment

• If what Matt said, if the Lakers are willing to pull the trigger on an s & t for Lowry that includes Nash and their pick and we could get that Sacto pick, could we possibly end up with Smart and Vonleh? Oh, the dream. That would be a huge splash by Ujiri.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

• Can you trade Lowry? isn't he a FA?
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        If what Matt said, if the Lakers are willing to pull the trigger on an s & t for Lowry that includes Nash and their pick and we could get that Sacto pick, could we possibly end up with Smart and Vonleh? Oh, the dream. That would be a huge splash by Ujiri.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                        That is the type of stuff that gives me basketball related erections.

I was one of, if not biggest, supporters of tanking around here after being convinced of the merits long term. But I do recall talking about benefits of the team actually coming together - which many around here thought all along despite needing a trade of Gay for spare parts for it to happen. The biggest benefit would be trade value. I've been wrong before but I don't think DeRozan will ever have higher trade value - ever. He might get better but once next season rolls around he turns in to a potential expiring contract. This season gives a team 2 years with him. Amir's advanced stats king status would likely appeal to a lot of GMs.

Anywyas, long story short: I'd be happy to take a step back in 2014-15 to take 2 or more forward in 2015-16.

Comment

• You can't sign and trade Lowry to the Lakers until after the draft, so the idea of S&T Lowry for Nash + #7 is a complete impossibility.

Comment

• Jerry West and Danny Ainge are in agreement: the 2014 draft is less than outstanding.

“Everyone is talking about a great draft class this year,” Golden State consultant Jerry West told ESPN Radio. “I think it’s just the opposite. I think it’s a poor one, myself.”

“It’s not even close to one of the best draft classes in the last 10 years,” Celtic GM Danny Ainge told the Boston Globe.
                            Full article from Forbes - http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheis...-draft-revolt/

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                              You can't sign and trade Lowry to the Lakers until after the draft, so the idea of S&T Lowry for Nash + #7 is a complete impossibility.
                              Well, if we like who they draft, it's not. Or if we reach out with the possibility beforehand and get some agreement from Lowry. It would be difficult, but not impossible. Now, if we wanted to then package that pick to move up, it would be pretty much impossible, as you end up with too many moving parts that can't be official until 2 weeks after the draft.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Well, if we like who they draft, it's not. Or if we reach out with the possibility beforehand and get some agreement from Lowry. It would be difficult, but not impossible. Now, if we wanted to then package that pick to move up, it would be pretty much impossible, as you end up with too many moving parts that can't be official until 2 weeks after the draft.
                                True, I suppose it's possible we could get a handshake deal with the Lakers to draft our guy and then sign and trade on the 10th of July...

Comment

Working...
                                X