The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 1h
    Andrew Wiggins measurements from today. 6' 8.75" in shoes, 7' 0" wingspan, 8" 11" standing reach.

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 1h
    Jabari Parker's measurements at workout on Friday: 6' 9" in shoes, 6' 11.75" wingspan, 8' 11.5" standing reach.

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 1h
    Joel Embiid's measurements at the workout on Fri: 7' 1" in shoes, 7' 5.75" wingspan, 9' 5.5" standing reach
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
      The difference between 10-25 (roughly) isn't that huge

There will be players who drop that we didn't expect. Question is, who?
      Actually there's a huge difference.

Even if we assume that all the players in between 10-25 are interchangeable in terms of draft position. If you're at #10, you have your pick of the litter. If you're at #25, you choose whoever everyone else doesn't want.

Comment

• Wiggins measured taller then I expected

Jabari can definitely play some PF in the NBA at 6'9 240lbs
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Embiid only 4 inches taller than Wiggins and Parker.

Wiggins 7 foot wingspan? Wow.
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• I really hope Embiid's back is OK. League needs him.

Comment

• I'd be willing to bet right now that he comes here as soon as he possibly can.
              http://instagram.com/p/ocT_-vI8mO/

Comment

• I really don't feel like the Raptors are looking for anymore projects. Seems like they have their mind set on just developing DD, Ross and Jv. With that said I would see them going for players that can contribute now. When it comes to wings I don't think anyone is more "NBA ready" than P.J. Hairston. Standing at 6'5" 229 pounds 6'10" wingspan and tough as nails.

Hairston is one of the few prospects in this draft who looks ready to come in and play a role in the NBA right away. His thick, strong build (230 pounds) is a major reason why he was able to adjust to the D-League so quickly, averaging 27 points per-40 minutes, as his shooting ability and aggressive style of play are tailor made for the NBA.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz32na3Vj8m
                http://www.draftexpress.com

Spending most of his time guarding small forwards, like he did at North Carolina, Hairston showed very nice potential defensively this season, particularly early on when he was locked in and really focused on getting stops (something that definitely wavered as the year moved on and the reality of the D-League set in). His excellent wingspan (6-9 ½) and strong frame allows him to play bigger than his just-average height, and he does a very good job of getting over ball-screens thanks to his quick feet and ability to fight through picks. His length and solid instincts serve him well in the passing lanes (1.9 steals per-40, just like at North Carolina) and he'll also come up with the occasional blocked shot for good measure. If Hairston puts his mind to it, he should be able to emerge as a solid defender at both wing spots in the NBA.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz32nZYBYFP
                http://www.draftexpress.com
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chad Ford's thoughts on Stokes throughout the year.

May 19 Update: Stokes showed well in the camp. He had lost a little weight, shot the ball well from 15 feet and tested a little bigger than expected (6-8½ in shoes, with a 7-1¼ wingspan). He showed that he can be explosive, measuring an impressive 36-inch vertical. His lateral quickness numbers were poor, however. Not everyone loves Stokes, but there are enough teams that do who pick in the 20s that I think he cracks the first round.

April 30 Update: Stokes isn't a sexy pick. He's a bit undersized and needs to slim down. But his rebounding numbers and soft touch around the basket intrigue scouts. He could be a late first-round steal for a team like the Rockets, Heat or Spurs.

April 14 Update: Stokes is one of the best rebounders in college basketball and despite being a junior, is just 20 years old. Those are the two things that NBA scouts like most about his game. He's a bit undersized for his position, plays below the rim and could stand to lose a little weight, which all hurts his future upside. But rebounding is one stat that tends to translate at the next level and it could propel Stokes into the late first round.

Mar 25 Update: Stokes may be an undersized center, but he's been a beast on the boards in the tournament, averaging 15 rebounds per game in his first three games. You can't ignore that. The fact he's still just 20 years old also really helps his stock. He probably doesn't crack the first round, but if he declares, he's going to get a lot of looks in the second.

Mar 17 Update: Stokes is a load in the paint; he had 18 double-doubles this season. He's especially great on the offensive glass. Combine that with a soft touch around the basket and terrific passing skills, and he might be one of the more underrated players in the country. He turned 20 a few months ago, which means he's young for a college junior.

Sept 9 Update: The Rockets are set at virtually every position, but Stokes could be a good fit at power forward. He is very efficient, has a soft touch around the basket, and will be one of the more NBA-ready players in this draft.

April 15 Update: Stokes graduated from high school mid year and joined the Volunteers in January as a freshman. He immediately made an impact as a tough, physical player who can rebound and score in the post. He lacks ideal size for his position, but he's huge.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...jarnell-stokes
                  I know must of you probably think I am Jarnell Stokes but, im not. I just feel like raptors need this type of player on the team. Casey is always talking about this type of players. It so happens that Raptors' have a private workout with him right before the combine? I just have a good feeling that he will be one of are three picks.

Like it or not, this team got punked in the playoffs by the Nets. Till this day I still believe the Raptors were the better team in that series. Nets were just tougher and opposed their will on us. Soft raps just bend over and took it.

Just listen to the first six seconds of this
                  Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Mon May 26, 2014, 03:14 AM.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    I wonder who this anonymous GM is.

I saw that very same quote on Grantland, apparently that quote came from a scout.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ry...id-and-parker/

EDIT: Oopsies, here is the writings!

Scout 1: Don’t trust his shot or his ball skills. Can’t go left. There is no “fuck you” to him. Kobe’s like, “Fuck you, I’m better than you.” Where was that? I think he is a content player. That’s not Bill Self’s fault — he didn’t tell him not to shoot.

He can be your third-best player, but not your best. Say he goes to Orlando. What’s he going to do as an offensive player? Shoot them to more wins? He has one of the best second/third jumps I’ve ever seen and he’ll have some “Fuck … look at that” moments. But that’s not his personality.
                    But, here is the explanation of who these "scouts" are:

I spoke with three of the best talent evaluators currently working in front offices about the four most heralded prospects. One is an NBA general manager, another an assistant GM, and the third source is the director of scouting for an NBA franchise. For the sake of anonymity, I’m calling them Scout 1, Scout 2, and Scout 3.
                    I feel like whoever said that, is either not big on Wiggins, or is on a team with a pick outside of the lottery. Wiggins' potential and abilities reads stardom, just as much as Embiid, or Parker in my opinion. However, Embiid is the clear cut number 1, because he has the potential of a generational centre, Parker and Wiggins possibly all-star wings.
                    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Mon May 26, 2014, 04:03 AM.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      I really don't feel like the Raptors are looking for anymore projects. Seems like they have their mind set on just developing DD, Ross and Jv. With that said I would see them going for players that can contribute now. When it comes to wings I don't think anyone is more "NBA ready" than P.J. Hairston. Standing at 6'5" 229 pounds 6'10" wingspan and tough as nails.
                      I was so happy that you had finally moved on from Stokes, then clicked ont he next page and it was you posting about Stokes.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I really don't feel like the Raptors are looking for anymore projects. Seems like they have their mind set on just developing DD, Ross and Jv. With that said I would see them going for players that can contribute now. When it comes to wings I don't think anyone is more "NBA ready" than P.J. Hairston. Standing at 6'5" 229 pounds 6'10" wingspan and tough as nails.
                        I really like this player as well but we got such a logjam at Sg...

I thinks it's the only position we should toss BPA aside to draft a PG, SF, PF or C.
                        Myself (March 2014):
                        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• Johanthan Givony Podcast

More Basketball Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with SB Nation NBA podcast on BlogTalkRadio

talked about Jusuf Nurkic. Compared him to JV, said nowhere close. JV = Noah at best. Nurkic can be a scorer.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Chad Ford's thoughts on Stokes throughout the year.

I know must of you probably think I am Jarnell Stokes but, im not. I just feel like raptors need this type of player on the team. Casey is always talking about this type of players. It so happens that Raptors' have a private workout with him right before the combine? I just have a good feeling that he will be one of are three picks.

Like it or not, this team got punked in the playoffs by the Nets. Till this day I still believe the Raptors were the better team in that series. Nets were just tougher and opposed their will on us. Soft raps just bend over and took it.

Just listen to the first six seconds of this
                            He certainly seems to have the mindset/confidence/character traits MU has mentioned he also looks for....and very well spoken too. If he can come even not so close to Barkley his model and also undersized PF...well then. He may also have a j which he couldnt use in college because of coaching instructions/positioning.

Comment

• JordanSmith wrote:
                              Check out these articles:
                              First & Second Round Shooting Guards the Raptors could Target in the Draft:
                              http://raptorsroom.blogspot.ca/2014/...ng-guards.html

First & Second Round Point Guards Raptors could Target:
                              http://raptorsroom.blogspot.ca/2014/...s-raptors.html

Why the draft lottery doesn't work:
                              http://raptorsroom.blogspot.ca/2014/...esnt-work.html

Raptors player evaluations:
                              http://raptorsroom.blogspot.ca/2014/...valuation.html
                              If you're going to continue posting here, please discuss the topics within the thread, rather than just posting links to your personal blog.

Cheers!

Comment

• I think strokes is a good fit for our team but it's in a back up role. He IMO is not a game changer like early, Anderson, Doug, maybe even nik. If Lowry walks which I think he will. And seton is IMO our best bet to get a game changing point guard. Remember this game is about mismatches. I don't know about other scouts or gm thinking but from what I seen in this league over the years big guard play is extremely important. I could not pass on the potential for a penny hardaway, magic johnson type player.

On another note wiggins can become a killer around the right people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X