The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    I really like Inglis with that 37th pick.

at 18 years old with a 6'8" 240lbs frame I don't think you can go wrong.

I'm pretty much sold on him even if his ceiling is massive tony allen.

at 59 I say you go with Bachynski. He picked up basketball late and took significant time off with being all mormony.

It really is that 20th pick that I can't lock down. I don't think there is a single day one starter available at 20...

If that's the case do we focus on a project? To me that means, generally speaking, seniors are out.

I mean unless someone falls to us, I see more value in trading down for two early 2nd rounders.

maybe for Philly's 32 and 39. No way Philly drafts and keeps 7 players.

no way Phoenix adds 4 rookies to their already super young core.

So I would say those are the teams with picks we can target.

I just really don't like our options at 20.
    Neither do I. There is no one at 20 that really impresses me that much. I feel someone will drop though. There are always a few guys that drop every year. So I feel we would get someone that dropped a bit. Hopefully.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Capela and Porzingis are both intriguing at PF at the 20 spot. As are Payton and Ennis at PG if either are still there. McDaniels is the only SF I'm looking to grab at 20. Then depending on who slips to 37, Inglis would be a great nab, as would Stokes, then Bachynski, Jabari Brown, or Jahii Carson at 59, depending on who you get with the first 2 picks (ideally you want one big, one wing, and one PG).
      I like McDaniels as well.
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
        I really like Inglis with that 37th pick.

at 18 years old with a 6'8" 240lbs frame I don't think you can go wrong.

I'm pretty much sold on him even if his ceiling is massive tony allen.

at 59 I say you go with Bachynski. He picked up basketball late and took significant time off with being all mormony.

It really is that 20th pick that I can't lock down. I don't think there is a single day one starter available at 20...

If that's the case do we focus on a project? To me that means, generally speaking, seniors are out.

I mean unless someone falls to us, I see more value in trading down for two early 2nd rounders.

maybe for Philly's 32 and 39.
        No way Philly drafts and keeps 7 players.

no way Phoenix adds 4 rookies to their already super young core.

So I would say those are the teams with picks we can target.

I just really don't like our options at 20.
        Wow. This draft is pretty deep but it's NOT that deep. NO WAY i trade the 20 pick overall for 2 2nd rounders. That's just dumb.

Guys like LaVine, or Ennis or even Payton could be off the board at 20 but there's still a lot of talent that should be available at that spot like Grant, Warren, GR3, Anderson, Capela, Payne. All talented players w/ a lot of potential.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Every year before draft we hear of all these possible 'steals' in the 2nd round. Very rarely do they really come through. Keep the 20, 2nd rounders are too risky.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• I think it would be a good idea to trade for a second rounder, but no way I give up our 1st to do so. Frankly, I'd love to see Ujiri grab another 16-25 pick so we can grab two guys from my shortlist at 20, and use our 37 to fill the positional gap without worrying about a guy dropping to 59th.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Who has the brightest long-term future in the NBA? Tyler Ennis, Elfrid Payton or Shabazz Napier?

Chad Ford: I've been a fan of Ennis since watching him at the Maui Invitational. He's got unreal poise for a point guard his age. There's nothing flashy about his game, but he's as steady as they come. And I was wowed by Napier in the NCAA tournament. His leadership and clutch shooting were epic. But I think Payton will be the best player of the three in a few years. He's bigger, longer, faster, a better defender and better at getting to the rim. Napier is a better shooter and Ennis probably has the best floor sense, but Payton has the ability to be a terror on both ends of the floor.

He really reminds me of a young Gary Payton, and had he been playing at Syracuse or UConn for the last three years, I think we wouldn't hesitate to put him at No. 3 behind Exum and Smart. I'm not sure he'll get drafted in the lottery, but he deserves to be, and if he gets into workouts with Ennis and Napier I think he might just convince a NBA GM to take him there.

Jay Bilas: Tough question, because I like all three of them. Napier is the best player of the group right now, and the one you would put on the floor to play on opening night in order to win. There's just something tougher about him, and he will not fail in the NBA. But I like Ennis the best, long term. Ennis has a calm about him, and he is just as quick, athletic and explosive as he needs to be in a given situation. Ennis can get by people, he is a terrific passer, but while he shoots it well, he needs to stretch out his range. Payton reminds me a bit of Rajon Rondo, an excellent defender who doesn't really shoot it well. If Payton can tighten up that jump shot, improve consistency and fluidity, he can be a really good player in the NBA. Overall though, I go with Ennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                The Raptors are not in a position to pass on talent at any position. We have too many holes, generally need more talent and possibly quite a bit of long-term uncertainty at least at PF, SF and PG.

*I'm not necessarily advocating for Capela, but depending who else is on the board he could be a very solid pick. Personally I really dislike prospects with 'intangibles' question marks, but there's no denying his talent.
                Does Capela really have intangibles question marks?

I thought his stock fell so quickly because of a bad week at the nike hoop summit.

Again, I'm not one to put much stock in one bad or one good performance, too small a sample size. That's generally where errors in perception allow for market failures.

That's also why I think Napier's gonna be a bust. At the very, very best, he's a DJ Augustin/Jerryd Bayless (wait what, comparing him to DJA might not actually be a bad thing if TT coaches him)
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                  Does Capela really have intangibles question marks?

I thought his stock fell so quickly because of a bad week at the nike hoop summit.

Again, I'm not one to put much stock in one bad or one good performance, too small a sample size. That's generally where errors in perception allow for market failures.

That's also why I think Napier's gonna be a bust. At the very, very best, he's a DJ Augustin/Jerryd Bayless (wait what, comparing him to DJA might not actually be a bad thing if TT coaches him)
                  Just going off his DX profile and video scouting report, which was released before Nike hoop summit. Mentions of laziness, bad body language. Also mentions of a lack of toughness. And on top of that he fancies himself a jumpshooter too often on O.

He's got lots of raw talent, but there are definitely question marks that have followed him for a couple of years, going back at least to Feb 2012. That's a little discouraging if he's made little progress in those aspects in 2 years.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Just going off his DX profile and video scouting report, which was released before Nike hoop summit. Mentions of laziness, bad body language. Also mentions of a lack of toughness. And on top of that he fancies himself a jumpshooter too often on O.

He's got lots of raw talent, but there are definitely question marks that have followed him for a couple of years, going back at least to Feb 2012. That's a little discouraging if he's made little progress in those aspects in 2 years.
                    Hmm. Sounds like Blatche.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Comment

• LaVine's stock is soaring. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers take him at 7.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          LaVine's stock is soaring. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers take him at 7.
                          Wouldn't that make the Kings draft night as one of Vonleh, Smart, or Randle will be there!

NBADraft.net has an interesting mock:

LaVine at 9
                          Ennis at 25

I would be ecstatic picking Porzingis at 37.
                          I would cry if they picked Early at 20.
                          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri May 30, 2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• There's no way Vonleh is there at 8. Just like LaVine, Vonleh's stock is soaring sky high according to an article that i read yesterday. There's no way he gets pass Utah at 5 IMO.

Ennis at 25? wow. They're crazy. And yeah not a big fan of Early either.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              There's no way Vonleh is there at 8. Just like LaVine, Vonleh's stock is soaring sky high according to an article that i read yesterday. There's no way he gets pass Utah at 5 IMO.

Ennis at 25? wow. They're crazy. And yeah not a big fan of Early either.
                              Why would Utah want him. They have kanter and favours. They are going after a wing or exam or something
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                                why would utah want him. They have kanter and favours. They are going after a wing or exam or something
                                bpa
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X