The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceez wrote: View Post
    count me amongst the "rodney hood? MEH" contingent of boarders. he's a poor man's rashard lewis.
    A poor man's rashard lewis isn't a turn-off to me. A poor man of a guy who averaged around 20 points, 5.5 Rbs, 2 assists and 1 steal in his prime isn't bad value.
    @Boymusic66

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      No doubt GR3 and Stauskas have significantly different games, my point is that they were given equal opportunity to be the man, and Stauskas shined brightly with opportunity while GR3,for all the tools he has, hasn't put it all together. He has a solid base of tools for sure, but right now he's a really athletic player, with an excellent shot who can't consistently put together solid games back-to-back. I should probably explain what I mean; to me the best player on the court isn't necessarily the guy who scores the most, but the player whose play seems to motivate the players around him. Sometimes you could see that motivation behind GR3's game, you could always see that intent behind Stauskas'. I know it's not a tangible explanation but that's what I got...

Of course not everyone is going to be a star. But should the goal of a deep 2nd round pick be to go safe, or try for a very high risk-high return player? After pick 50 you might as well gamble. There will be other NCAA senior free agents available after the draft. Might as well try to find the next Isaiah Thomas (the Sac player, not the legend), instead of a Robert Sacre.
      Bold 1: I completely understand where you are coming from. Though for that whole paragraph I don't really know what you are arguing.....I'm a huge Nik Stauskas fan, and think he is going to be one of the better players in this draft, not only for his skills but he LED that Michigan team like you said. Him being on the floor and playing well made everyone else better. Same with his teammate, LaVert (who I think will be a good pro)

2: Well I think getting a safe, role player out of your second rounders is a better way to build a team. Just think how many second rounders over the last few years that have been absolutely nothing for us...and then we have had to turn to over-paying Aaron Gray in FA to get a backup C. Or we could just draft a defense first, low upside guy and pay him 800k to be a better version of that. Then say if you have 2-3 guys that you drafted late have value, you can organize trades easier if you have pieces at the end of the bench that aren't Buycks. Not so much need superstars, but need to get some people with value.

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      That's also why I'm not big on Early. He just doesn't even try to pass the ball.
      Same. I want high-IQ team players only, and

TSF wrote: View Post
      A poor man's rashard lewis isn't a turn-off to me. A poor man of a guy who averaged around 20 points, 5.5 Rbs, 2 assists and 1 steal in his prime isn't bad value.
      Basically my thinking. Though I think he will be a better passer and a poorer rebounder. Which is fine.

Comment

• Warren and Hood are two of the 'no-defence' wings in the draft that I pray don't fall to us at 20. Do not want.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          Bold 1: I completely understand where you are coming from. Though for that whole paragraph I don't really know what you are arguing.....I'm a huge Nik Stauskas fan, and think he is going to be one of the better players in this draft, not only for his skills but he LED that Michigan team like you said. Him being on the floor and playing well made everyone else better. Same with his teammate, LaVert (who I think will be a good pro)

2: Well I think getting a safe, role player out of your second rounders is a better way to build a team. Just think how many second rounders over the last few years that have been absolutely nothing for us...and then we have had to turn to over-paying Aaron Gray in FA to get a backup C. Or we could just draft a defense first, low upside guy and pay him 800k to be a better version of that. Then say if you have 2-3 guys that you drafted late have value, you can organize trades easier if you have pieces at the end of the bench that aren't Buycks. Not so much need superstars, but need to get some people with value.
          On point 1:

Not really arguing. I just felt like, after reflecting on your response, my earlier post wasn't clear enough. I'm just saying that you can compare the two, since they were on the same team, with equal opportunity in a tangential way. We agree they have very different games. It's the leadership qualities (or lack of) that concerns me with GR3. If I'm not being clear no worries, it's not like this is a face-to-face debate...

On point 2:

I agree with where you are coming from, accumulating value ETAL. You could also do a Euro-stash for similar effect I guess. In normal circumstances I would be on your side, but that late in the second round, with multiple second round picks gambling with the late second rounder becomes a sound strategy. If the Raps bought into the late 2nd round, then making a conservative pick makes sense -- they would literally be buying into a position to make such a move. However, this pick was a trade throw in that was never meant to become any player of consequence. For me, these are the exact type of picks that should be used on high potential candidates. More importantly, opportunities like this don't occur as much as they used to (unless you're the Sixers).

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            Daniels is too short to be a SF. His standing reach is in the SG range and he won't be able to contest people who decide to shoot over him.

I think Stauskas becomes the best player in this draft not named Wiggins, Embiid or Exum. I would do a lot to move up to grab him.

I think I've narrowed down the list of players I would draft to these guys.

PG: Ennis/Payton
            SG: Stauskas
            SF: Hood, GR3
            PF:
            C: Bachynski
            I'm a huge fan of Stauskas but not sure I would go that far. I would however be stoked if we traded up to grab him. Everyone seems to only see his elite shooting, but he's also an excellent distributor/playmaker with decent handles.

For our 20 pick Ennis would be a steal if he actually drops that far, which many mocks are showing to be the case. If not Ennis I'm hoping we get a strong defender either at the pg or sf to further establish the raps defensive identity, Given the quotes from their scouts it sounds like this is what the raps are thinking as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• NBA.com Draft Overview : Toronto

Draft Overview
              Areas of Strength
              Team defense and bench play. The Raptors didn’t have one standout defender, but under coach Dwane Casey, they were a top-10 defense. And if they can bring back both Greivis Vasquez and Patrick Patterson, they will once again have one of the best benches in the league. Toronto was at its best when those guys played.

Needs Work
              As Joe Johnson beat them up in the paint throughout their seven-game, first-round series, it became clear that the Raptors need size on the wing. They don’t have anybody to guard guys like Johnson, LeBron James, Paul George or Carmelo Anthony one-on-one.

Two Stats That Matter
              1 -- The Raptors were the only Eastern Conference team that ranked in the top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency.

14.9 -- Points per 100 possessions that the Raptors outscored their opponents by in 490 minutes with point guards Kyle Lowry and Greivis Vasquez on the floor together.

The Way To Go
              NBA.com's Draft expert, Scott Howard-Cooper, offers up his suggestions:
              The Raptors could look power forward at No. 20 to find someone to challenge Amir Johnson, but likely don’t find many options unless Adreian Payne or Clint Capela have slight tumbles. Point guard, though, could quickly become a pressing need, with Kyle Lowry (unrestricted) and Greivis Vasquez (restricted) both about to hit free agency. At the very least, Toronto may want protection and would be picking right as a run of point guards likely begins: Zach LaVine, if the Raptors believe he is more distributor than shooting guard, Vasilije Micic, Elfrid Payton, Shabazz Napier, Deonte Burton, with potential looks at several others projected more for early in the second round. But the marketing dream outcome of Tyler Ennis, from suburban Toronto, still being available is a major longshot.

2013-14 Team Stats (points per 100 possessions, with NBA rank)
              Offensive: 105.8 (9th)
              Defensive: 102.4 (9th)

Under Contract
              G: Dwight Buycks
              G: DeMar DeRozan
              F: Landry Fields
              F/C: Tyler Hansbrough
              F: Chuck Hayes
              F: Amir Johnson
              F: Steve Novak
              F: Terrence Ross
              F/G: John Salmons
              G: Julyan Stone
              C: Jonas Valanciunas

Free Agents
              G: Nando De Colo
              G: Kyle Lowry
              F: Patrick Patterson
              G: Greivis Vasquez

Recent Draft History
              2013: None
              2012: Terrence Ross (8), Quincy Acy (37), Tomislav Zubcic (56)
              2011: Jonas Valanciunus (5)
              2010: Ed Davis (13)
              2009: DeMar DeRozan (9)
              http://www.nba.com/draft/2014/teams/tor/index.html
              Bold 1: Can we please get him one defensive weapon?

Bold 2: For all the people that hated on Coach Casey TWO PG line up. More prove that Klow and Greasy are coming back.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• For those of you wanting a cis player to actually be on an nba team. i got one. we were kinda tight when he was still in highschool like 2 years ago. His name is Javon Masters and he just won rookie of the year of the cis and aus. He averaged like 30 points 4 assists and 4 rebounds per game. Hes from kitchener and hes just dityy. Check him out he plays for the university of New brunswick. Cant believe he made it this far still a freshman
                Last edited by yabadabayolo; Sun Jun 8, 2014, 09:36 PM.
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Bold 1: Can we please get him one defensive weapon?

Bold 2: For all the people that hated on Coach Casey TWO PG line up. More prove that Klow and Greasy are coming back.
                  is tomislav any good
                  I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                    is tomislav any good
                    If you're talking about Tomislav Zubcic - he'd be a third-string stretch big at best on any NBA team at this point, and is a reminder that not all late-second-round picks can be wizardry.

Comment

• I don't get the KJ McDaniels love. An undersized athletic 3 that can't shoot. You can get a guy like him in the 2nd round of nearly every draft.
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        I don't get the KJ McDaniels love. An undersized athletic 3 that can't shoot. You can get a guy like him in the 2nd round of nearly every draft.
                        It's his defensive skills that make him attractive. He's very good on D, and that's harder to learn than a quality jumper, which can be taught.

Comment

• Been looking at some of the mock drafts and I see Atlanta taking Kyle Anderson over tj warren?

Comment

• warren reminds me if rashard lewis

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              Been looking at some of the mock drafts and I see Atlanta taking Kyle Anderson over tj warren?
                              Atlanta's been rumoured to be extremely interested in Anderson. But: if he slips past Atlanta, he WON'T slip past Chicago. No chance. Warren does one thing: score buckets. That happens to be Chicago's primary needs.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                                Atlanta's been rumoured to be extremely interested in Anderson. But: if he slips past Atlanta, he WON'T slip past Chicago. No chance. Warren does one thing: score buckets. That happens to be Chicago's primary needs.
                                Atl already has a point guard makes no sense getting Anderson they will not use him right

Comment

Working...
                                X