Page 28 of 337 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 6734

Thread: The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

  1. #541
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    You say it all right there "in a year or two Wiggins will lead the way". Wiggins is the better prospect.
    Thats not a lock though, thats just what I think could happen.
    And right now Parker is the most NBA ready of all the prospects and will be a superstar in this league no doubt.

    Wiggins seems to be way too shy when underneath the spot light, he doesn't have the killer instinct right now that is needed to get where he wants to go.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  2. #542
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    He's not really a tweener, he could play the four but he's mainly a small forward. And even if he had to play the four, he is still very big (6-8, 245) so he's basically Melo size with less body fat.
    The physical comparison to Derrick Williams (6'8", 240lbs) is what I think is the cause for concern, regarding Parker's 'tweener' status. He can dominate at the NCAA level, but the fear is that he's too slow to play SF and too small to play PF. I was very high on Williams ahead of his draft, so I can totally understand the trepidation some GMs might have.

    I get a sense that the NBA pendulum is slowly swinging back to traditional positional roles (as opposed to favoring generic athleticism above all else), so the fear is justifiable (especially when choosing over an equally talented traditional-type player).

  3. #543
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    If wiggins is on the board guys he is getting picked up by the Raptors. TL wants him bad and this recent Rudy Gay trade had him pushing Ujiri to do it fast written all over it, so Wiggins can come here and take his #22.

    Even if wiggins stock falls gorribly Raptors would still pick him with a #1. Cause we are on that Canadian tip so hard.
    And that would be the stupidest move ever. You pick the best player available!
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  4. #544
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Wiggins seems to be way too shy when underneath the spot light, he doesn't have the killer instinct right now that is needed to get where he wants to go.
    In in Toronto, Wiggins will have more pressure than any other market. His mental fortitude should be heavily gauged if the Raps end up with any shot at him.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #545
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Andrew Wiggins is really starting to remind me of a young Grant Hill the more i watch him play.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  6. #546
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The physical comparison to Derrick Williams (6'8", 240lbs) is what I think is the cause for concern, regarding Parker's 'tweener' status. He can dominate at the NCAA level, but the fear is that he's too slow to play SF and too small to play PF. I was very high on Williams ahead of his draft, so I can totally understand the trepidation some GMs might have.

    I get a sense that the NBA pendulum is slowly swinging back to traditional positional roles (as opposed to favoring generic athleticism above all else), so the fear is justifiable (especially when choosing over an equally talented traditional-type player).
    He doesn't seem that slow to me, the kid likes to run.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  7. #547
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    He doesn't seem that slow to me, the kid likes to run.
    I wasn't saying he was. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some GMs view him that way, fearing he'll be the next Williams - still a good player, just not worthy of being such a high draft pick.

  8. #548
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The physical comparison to Derrick Williams (6'8", 240lbs) is what I think is the cause for concern, regarding Parker's 'tweener' status. He can dominate at the NCAA level, but the fear is that he's too slow to play SF and too small to play PF. I was very high on Williams ahead of his draft, so I can totally understand the trepidation some GMs might have.

    I get a sense that the NBA pendulum is slowly swinging back to traditional positional roles (as opposed to favoring generic athleticism above all else), so the fear is justifiable (especially when choosing over an equally talented traditional-type player).
    Agree with the tweener situation.

    I don't think the NBA is leaning back to traditional positions. I think that Parker's situation is actually illustrative of this. He lacks elite athleticism and doesn't make up for it with size. This is his main criticism.

    Also clarification: he's not slow, just not very explosive.

  9. #549
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Thats not a lock though, thats just what I think could happen.
    And right now Parker is the most NBA ready of all the prospects and will be a superstar in this league no doubt.

    Wiggins seems to be way too shy when underneath the spot light, he doesn't have the killer instinct right now that is needed to get where he wants to go.
    But if you think it's true, then Wiggins is the right answer. We aren't drafting a player based on winning more games the next season; we draft based on who will be the best player over their career. Wiggins, by almost every measure, comes out in that regard even to you.

    Parker will be great, so will Randle and Exum and Smart. We are splitting hairs of elite prospects but at the end of the day, Wiggins D and all round game makes him the better player. He looks effortless at times because it is so easy for him to do things athletically. He will be better than Parker.

    In the long term, only player I see as could be better is Exum. A 6'6" ball handler with that much skill impacts the game in so many ways.

  10. #550
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I wasn't saying he was. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some GMs view him that way, fearing he'll be the next Williams - still a good player, just not worthy of being such a high draft pick.
    Of course they view him that way! They want to try lowering his value so they can snatch him up with a later pick! Lol don't you get it?!
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  11. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  12. #551
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    And that would be the stupidest move ever. You pick the best player available!
    its not going to happen Wiggins may not be first but Im just saying Raps have him on top of that list of draft picks. Its what Management wants they want Wiggin's and honestly they would just make him a project and accelerate his development. wiggins is the pick. He could be injured and miss his rookie season Raps would still get him.

    Its all about having a Canadian kid rep and be a leader for the team think about the publicity think about the scope think about the revenue!

  13. #552
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    But if you think it's true, then Wiggins is the right answer. We aren't drafting a player based on winning more games the next season; we draft based on who will be the best player over their career. Wiggins, by almost every measure, comes out in that regard even to you.

    Parker will be great, so will Randle and Exum and Smart. We are splitting hairs of elite prospects but at the end of the day, Wiggins D and all round game makes him the better player. He looks effortless at times because it is so easy for him to do things athletically. He will be better than Parker.

    In the long term, only player I see as could be better is Exum. A 6'6" ball handler with that much skill impacts the game in so many ways.
    Exum is scary good.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  14. #553
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Exum is scary good.
    But for the record I'd still take Wiggins

  15. #554
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    its not going to happen Wiggins may not be first but Im just saying Raps have him on top of that list of draft picks. Its what Management wants they want Wiggin's and honestly they would just make him a project and accelerate his development. wiggins is the pick. He could be injured and miss his rookie season Raps would still get him.

    Its all about having a Canadian kid rep and be a leader for the team think about the publicity think about the scope think about the revenue!
    I really don't care about any of those things. I care about drafting the best player.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  16. #555
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,739
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i'd take exum over parker, personally
    @jerboat

  17. Like Nilanka, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  18. #556
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really hope Wiggins finishes his college season as the best player there is.

    I've never been more excited for March Madness lol
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  19. #557
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i'd take exum over parker, personally
    I need to find some Exum game logs
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  20. #558
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,739
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In fact, i'd rank Exum #2 overall, easily. Even over Randle. You can't really put a price on a guy who can shoot it like he does AND has the handles AND defensive prowess AND court vision.

    Add in his overall attitude.

    The 18-year-old was playing for Canberra's Lake Ginninderra College in the quarter-finals of the Australian Schools Championships, held at Kilsyth Stadium.

    The Lakers went into the quarters as the top-ranked team and they came up against fourth-ranked Concordia College from Adelaide.

    Exum scored 37 points, pulled in 12 rebounds, dished out seven assists, had two steals, a block and didn't turn the ball over once as his side pulled out a 94-89 win.

    His assessment?

    "It was horrible," Exum said.

    "I didn't play to the best of my ability. I ended up with 37 points or something, but still it was a horrible shooting performance.


    "So, hopefully, I can improve from that."

    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/e...-1226779496678
    @jerboat

  21. Like stooley liked this post
  22. #559
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, I'm heavily leaning towards Exum as well. Even if it ends up being a toss-up between Wiggins and Exum, it would take me a while to make a decision....especially when removing any Canadian bias from the equation.
    Last edited by Nilanka; Tue Dec 10th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  23. #560
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Thats not a lock though, thats just what I think could happen.
    And right now Parker is the most NBA ready of all the prospects and will be a superstar in this league no doubt.

    Wiggins seems to be way too shy when underneath the spot light, he doesn't have the killer instinct right now that is needed to get where he wants to go.
    Parker has Melo written all over him. Is very very good, but will usually be a part of why team's that have him never win championships.

    Wiggins not wanting the spotlight? In the Duke game he took it upon himself to shut down Parker AND scored 16 in the second half to win the game. In the Colorado game, he took the ball in the second half and became the offense for the Jayhawks, unfortunately Colorado hit a game winner, but Wiggins got his team into a position to win when their center fouled out even. Oh and in that game Wiggins also shut down Dinwiddie late defensively. Can't really get much better than that.

    Right now my draft board looks like Wiggins >/= Exum > Embiid > Randle >> Parker

Page 28 of 337 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •