The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Agree or disagree, the Raptors haven't brought any prospects in (yet) that are on any draft boards expected to go at 20 or higher? This makes me think moving up in the draft is not something they are looking to do, and that they are possibly looking to move down in the draft. Thoughts?
    We've brought in Grant, McDaniels, Ennis, Anderson, Capela. All likely to be in the mix at 20.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• ^I would add Early to that list.

After hearing from Bhullar and Bachynski, Jordan appears to me as the best bet at 59.

I truly believe Ennis is the only PG the Raps would draft at 20, may be Payton if he's brought in for a workout.

It also appears that unless a higher projected big like Klimenko/Capela falls to the Raptors they will go SF/PG or PG/SF with their first picks and grab a defensive big like Bachynski/Birch in the 3rd.
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• Nice to see Capela in.

Comment

• I don't know if anyone noticed but Draft Express has explanations for their mock draft in the 1st round.

Raptors - Elfrid Payton

With Kyle Lowry and Greivis Vasquez entering free agency, the point guard position could be an area the Raptors look to address in the draft. Payton brings the type of size, length and defensive versatility that coach Dwane Casey likes, and shouldn't have a problem fitting in with Toronto's other young pieces.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• The more I think about it, the more I think we want to draft Payton (and the more I like the idea).

Could slide right into Vasquez's role as backup combo guard and defend at an elite level at both spots. Also amazing at driving to the basket and drawing fouls. This has actually become a huge part of the Raptors' identity as a team (We led the NBA in FT%, FTM and were second in FTA last season). Payton is also a very team-oriented player, doesn't fit the "selfish" stereotype that athletic, explosive PGs tend to get.

I am not expecting the Raptors to acquire a 2nd pick or move up in this draft, if they do I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'd be happy with Payton at #20 (or Ennis). I'm not really enamoured by any of the wing prospects in that range. Kind of like Inglis and GR3 as 2nd rounders.
            Last edited by imanshumpert; Thu Jun 12, 2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Yeah I don't know a lot about the guy but from what I read his major weakness is his shooting. But there's other great PG's that can't shoot, like Rondo. Which is probably his ceiling. Also, he's played three years of college ball and is only 20 years old. He started college when he was 17! So still a lot of room to grow.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                Yeah I don't know a lot about the guy but from what I read his major weakness is his shooting. But there's other great PG's that can't shoot, like Rondo. Which is probably his ceiling. Also, he's played three years of college ball and is only 20 years old. He started college when he was 17! So still a lot of room to grow.
                I don't see him as being the same type of playmaker as Rondo.

I think prime Devin Harris is a more realistic ceiling in terms of playing style and production.

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                  I don't know if anyone noticed but Draft Express has explanations for their mock draft in the 1st round.

Raptors - Elfrid Payton
                  It's so hard to guess the direction the Raps will go, since circumstances could easily change. The explanation you quoted makes perfect sense, but if MU decides/is able to re-sign Lowry (leader, heart & soul of the team), Vasquez and De Colo (both young, with upside) to decent extensions, suddenly the PG position is one of strength and depth. I know that the draft comes before free agency, but I have to think that MU has already begun preliminary discussions with the free agents, or at the very least knows which ones he intends to pursue.

I would think that MU would still draft BPA at #20, regardless of position. However, with so many prospects seemingly in the mix from #15-#25, positional need might come into play.

Comment

• spent pretty much all of yesterday watching a bunch of the prospects and really taking a closer look at some of the ones i really like

so of the guys i liked, watched, and want nothing to do with now:

Lavine - yikes. seems to have a really low basketball IQ, nevermind all the other stuff people here complain about. for a guy as athletic as he is why didn't he attack more? the oregon game tape made me cringe.

Hairston - his combine scared me off. word is he was completely nonchalant the entire time and didn't really prepare well. seems like JR Smith 2.0 which might excite some but no thanks

guys i'm on the fence with:

Early - is he Glenn Robinson 2.0 or Charlie V 2.0? from what i saw in the tourney... i really like him. from what i've seen and read at the combine/workouts... he's hasn't been impressive at all. in MU we trust.

Grant - i'm fine with him being mediocre on offense just because of what you could do with him defensively. he's got great tools, motor and seems like a good kid. but what about between his ears? at the very least, i guess you wouldn't have to worry about him learning Casey's zone.

guys i'm all in for:

inglis - HECK YEAH (at the top of the second, obviously) i'd even move up in the second or into the end of the first to take him. dude reminds me of batum or Po lite.

payton - good size, great defense. seems like he really knows how to run a team. his offense sucks but have i mentioned his defense? he's got the size and wingspan to D up some smaller SG's too. seems like a really unpolished gem. underrated playmaker.

ennis - i don't know if he'd ever be an all star, but he's the kind of guy you can have faith in running your team, in every facet. i'd be shocked if he fell to #20 but if he did you take him and never look back.

warren - reminds me of paul pierce on offense. has a feel for the game that very few rookies have, and is just a lethal scorer, something our second unit desperately needs. i think he tried to do too much at times and that's made him look like a guy that's kind of selfish (doesn't pass) but look at the rest of his team. and he was STILL efficient! that tells me he won't have a steep learning curve in the pros. people call out his defense but i honestly didn't see a huge issue. he's not the greatest out on the perimeter but who on the team is? he's got the tools and size to be effective, at least.

Po 2.0 - he's pretty meh on offense but he's got serious skill on the defensive end. has better handles than most guys on the team already. when Po becomes a FA does he want to play with his brother? for the cost of a second round pick, why not roll the dice? *second round obv
                    Last edited by ceez; Thu Jun 12, 2014, 11:06 AM.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• related - draftexpress really needs to change up that music they always use
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• of everyone, i'd say Inglis is the one that REALLY intrigues me. i wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up being a first rounder by the draft. my god what a specimen.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          related - draftexpress really needs to change up that music they always use
                          OMG you are so right.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• you know what? let's just take Inglis at #20 and call it a day. too much potential. dat body. my GOD dat body.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Comparing Inglis to Batum wtf? He doesn't have anywhere near the same type of game, in fact they're basically opposites.

Inglis realistically projects to be Joey Graham, could be better if he really improves his skills a lot. I like him as a draft and stash potentially. But not at #20, no thank you.

Comment

• batum was definitely way higher regarded but i meant in the sense of where their game is/was headed. batum was definitely way more polished, but even still, wasn't much of a factor in the pros until his third season.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X